Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   PC Card Insert option in Navi Unit (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/287418-pc-card-insert-option-navi-unit.html)

mckoy 08-22-2006 11:47 PM

PC Card Insert option in Navi Unit

Has anyone had any problems with this option.

I have purchase a Sandisk PC card Adapter (6 in 1 reader) and a SD Memory Card with no luck. I copied the songs to the card reader and sd card inserted in my laptop, then inserted in the pc card in the head unit and selected PC and nothing happens. It never even attempts to read it.

Anyone else have this problem?

sotony 08-23-2006 02:10 PM

what size memory card are you using?

Are you using an SD card larger than 2 GB? I've had no problem with the same combo--SanDisk 6-in-1 mated to a 2 GB SD card. It won't read my memory stick, but it doesn't claim to. Only thing I can think of is if you're using an SD card greater than 2 GB or one of the super-fast ones (please forgive the non-technical term) I think they work under a slightly different standard, and the nav system might not read them.

mckoy 08-23-2006 03:22 PM

The size of the SD card is 512mb

05blkrs 08-23-2006 06:17 PM

512mb sd card would be 512 mb..... or megabyte if you dont know.. either way it's not bigger than 2gb... just read the owners manual and make sure you format the card propperly....

sotony 08-23-2006 11:01 PM

hmm

hmmm. So that's definitely not the problem. Could be the formatting thing, though.

Just out of curiosity--If you hit the close button with the 6-in-1 in the slot, but without the SD card in the 6-in-1, will the display close? Mine gives an error beep and won't close if the card reader is in the pc card slot without a memory card stuck in it. Just curious. I just put an old 12 mb memory stick in there when i need the sd card for my phone. Incidentally--it won't read music off the memory stick. Maybe I should format it.

mckoy 08-24-2006 12:39 AM

You might be right about the formatting. I will def. give it a shot. I also use the card (SD 512mb) for my digital camera. I will post results.

mckoy 08-24-2006 07:38 PM

Good NEWS!

I purchased a 1gb Compact Flash formated the card, added music and magic! The unit recognized and played my mp3s with no problem.

I'm using...

1 PC Card (PCMCIA) Adapter-Compact Flash Reader
1 1gb Compact Flash Memory Card (Brand is "Patriot memory")

Cheers!

Brooklyn 01-27-2007 08:49 PM

I have a 2006 Civic and want to use the PCMCIA card option. Where did you purchase these items & what was the cost ? Also, I am not a savy computer person - How do you get the music onto the PCMCIA card ?

Tazz2000 03-07-2007 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn (Post 4136227)
I have a 2006 Civic and want to use the PCMCIA card option. Where did you purchase these items & what was the cost ? Also, I am not a savy computer person - How do you get the music onto the PCMCIA card ?

First, you need the navi option in your car.

Second, you get a card reader for whatever type of memory card you buy, or get a 9-1 or 15-1 card reader with your card.

Third, copy the music using your computer.

Finally, put the card into the pcmcia adapter and place that behind the screen in your navi unit.

SpecialKPB 12-28-2007 01:35 PM

Re: PC Card Insert option in Navi Unit

thats an awesome feature, Navi is begining to look likes its worth the extra $$$$ now.....

-K

zoraiz7 06-14-2011 04:10 AM

does nave system of civic 2011 read sd card greater than 2gb ?? thanks for answering

08EX 06-21-2011 12:02 PM

I'm using an 8GB card on my 08 factory Nav without any problems.
Use a brand name card. I heard some no-name memory cards are troublesome.
Sandisk and Transcend make adapters for the PCMCIA to SD card or CF or whatever you want to use.
I heard the SDHC (high capacity) cards may not work.
Only plug a PC card (PCMCIA) adapter into the slot. Plugging anything else in will either get stuck or cause damage.
The Nav does not recognize all music formats. Incompatible files will be ignored. mp3 works for sure.
Low bitrate music files will be painfully obvious with the crappy Honda sound system.