Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015)
-   -   What Gas Station Do You Use? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-generation-civic-2006-2015/287080-what-gas-station-do-you-use.html)

HBMully 04-21-2006 01:16 AM

What Gas Station Do You Use?

I was reading about gasoline and what to use in my new Civic and came across this: "we strongly recommend the use of gasoline that does NOT contain Manganese-based fuel additives such as MMT."

What gas station does everyone use? I want to make sure I use a good one for the engine! :)

Thanks
HBMully

05blkrs 04-21-2006 08:43 AM

can't go wrong w/ chevron.... but maily, stick to big name stations... also i have noticed, if the price diff. between regular and mid grade is more than 10 cents, they tend to screw with the gas... because cars that use high octane will notice if it's f'd with so they only water down the low grade gas...

GoneIn60 04-21-2006 03:48 PM

Gasoline is the same no matter where you go which is why every station tries to have the same price as the station across to it. I learned this in my economics class think about it if your a gas station owner and you raise 3 cents higher than your competitions price, your quantity that you sell will be less than the gas station across from you thus making less profit. And there is your economics lesson for the day haha

05blkrs 04-21-2006 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoneIn60
Gasoline is the same no matter where you go which is why every station tries to have the same price as the station across to it. I learned this in my economics class think about it if your a gas station owner and you raise 3 cents higher than your competitions price, your quantity that you sell will be less than the gas station across from you thus making less profit. And there is your economics lesson for the day haha

economics class does not tell you what additives are..... some gasoline is better than others. and it has been proven that some gas stations do not maintain the equipment very well wich means there may water and other contaminants.

Gotham Dark Knight 04-21-2006 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by HBMully
I was reading about gasoline and what to use in my new Civic and came across this: "we strongly recommend the use of gasoline that does NOT contain Manganese-based fuel additives such as MMT."

What gas station does everyone use? I want to make sure I use a good one for the engine! :)

Thanks
HBMully

The nearest one open as I drive close to empty often...okay...show of hands now...who pays attention to the Manganese-base fuel content?...Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller? ...;)

JewelBeetle 04-23-2006 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gotham Dark Knight
The nearest one open as I drive close to empty often...okay...show of hands now...who pays attention to the Manganese-base fuel content?...Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller? ...;)

LOL....I sure don't, Gotham Dark Knight.....

I most often fill my car at BP, but will sometimes go to the GetGo station if I have a lot of "Fuel Perks" points. In all of the years I've been driving, I've never felt that one gas station was superior to any other.

kero 04-23-2006 06:57 AM

I use HESS and most people don't know that gasoline is all the same. Each company then has the gas delivered to their own "location" so to speak at which time they add their own additives to the fuel.

I saw a 2 hour documentary on this, very interesting how it all works.

06 Honda Civic EX 04-26-2006 02:52 PM

I use the cheapest one, usually is SAFEWAY gas station +3 cents off, can't beat it

Smooth 04-26-2006 07:48 PM

I use BP or Mobile depending which one im closest to at the time. Mostly Mobile since theres only one BP and Mobile is scattered all over the place. I dont really care how high the price are either so I dont go and look for the cheaper ones.

pico 04-29-2006 02:10 PM

Cheveron/Texaco because that is the gas credit card I have. Helps me keep track of how rich I am making the oil companies.:D If I go to another station it has to be brand name like Mobil, Shell, or Citgo. No matter what they say, I feel like Im getting better gas than from a discount station.

Gotham Dark Knight 05-07-2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by JewelBeetle
LOL....I sure don't, Gotham Dark Knight.....

I most often fill my car at BP, but will sometimes go to the GetGo station if I have a lot of "Fuel Perks" points. In all of the years I've been driving, I've never felt that one gas station was superior to any other.

Aaah, but you see...sometimes one is better than the other...for example, sometimes the cashier in one flirts with you and gives you free refills and discounted chocolated treats...making it a better station...

Now brand name who care...really...:rolleyes:

imported_Mikey 05-10-2006 12:32 AM

Ive never had a cashier flirt with me and give me freebies!
She'd definitely lose her job if she gave free fuel these days...

Shishpanik 05-10-2006 10:18 AM

Hey guys, I have a question.

In my 06 civic book it says that it's recommended to use 87 octane or higher. Have you guys tanked with mid grade or premium? Does it hurt the engine? Does it feel better to drive it? Or should I not mess around with midgrade or premium?

vtec12 05-11-2006 12:25 AM

87 is low.
The higher the better. What is the highest octane you can get where you live?
I always get the best quality fuel that I can.

Shishpanik 05-11-2006 08:24 AM

I think 93 is premium. But I've heard from someone at hondaforums that using a higher octane gas messes up your engine in the long run. I don't know what to believe :(

PS. Would I get better performance and fuel efficiency from higher octane?

CharlieLink 05-11-2006 08:36 PM

Performance & efficiency

Originally Posted by Shishpanik
I think 93 is premium. But I've heard from someone at hondaforums that using a higher octane gas messes up your engine in the long run. I don't know what to believe :(

PS. Would I get better performance and fuel efficiency from higher octane?

In general, the answer is no. You may get a bit better fuel mileage, but not enough to offset cost. If it pings (knocks), then the octane rating is too low!

High octane fuels are generally dangerous more because of what else they contain than the hydrocarbons. Racing fuels generally have tetraethyl lead and that is the pits on your catalytic converter. Also, because lead is an inhibitor, your timing must be advanced. That's great if you have a fixed distributor (no vacuum advance) and no computer timing. But for the stock Civic, it's very bad.
Honda recommends Premium (I think 93) for the Si and Regular (87 minimum) for the SOHC 1.8 liter.

Incidentally, the octane rating refers to what the energy performance would be if you were running pure Octane through the engine (as opposed to the complex that include septane, nonane, decane, etc that makes up gasoline). It's somewhat illusionary, but it is still a very good measure of specific heat conversion. (That's for you who are inclined to chemistry - but you probably already know this.)

Shishpanik 05-11-2006 10:33 PM

So should I use higher octane fuel for my stock civic? Price is not a problem but overall should I at least use mid grade if cost is not a problem?

CharlieLink 05-12-2006 12:15 AM

Where do you live?

Originally Posted by Shishpanik
So should I use higher octane fuel for my stock civic? Price is not a problem but overall should I at least use mid grade if cost is not a problem?

Stock Civic - best fuel depends a lot on where you live. The 1.8 liter Vtec SOHC really likes 10% ethanol that runs about 89 octane rating. In the midwest, it's about 2 cents cheaper than regular (87), because the government subsidizes production - mostly Iowa & Nebraska. Methanol based MTBE is also subsidized in some locales (mostly east coast) but is being phased out as white lightning (moonshine, etc) is taking over. Yep, ethanol is basically unaged corn squeezins (whiskey).

85 ethanol is still too poison to drink and most vehicles won't run it at all, but more will in the next few years. For Hondas, it isn't available yet (at least none that I know of ).

I would recommend that you save the price difference for premium and use it to buy something nice for yourself or a loved one.

Shishpanik 05-12-2006 11:19 AM

Thanks alot for your help :)

I might buy a cool air intake and leather seats soon. I love my 06 ex coupe and I hope to make it perfect for a hardworking 18 year old like me. Thanks for all the help , civicforums are the best!

hotwheels 05-12-2006 09:48 PM

I have never even heard of manganese based fuel additives. I almost always go to Mobile stations now. I don't know if they use these additives or not, but I have noticed lately that they have had gas prices that were about 4 or 5 cents per gallon less than everyone else around here and my car runs a lot better on their gas.

fivespeed 05-21-2006 11:09 AM

I am a chronic 4th tanker, which means i am guilty of letting the mix get too rich and boiled down.

Sometimes thin gas can be a good cleanout. Switching gas stations can be good too. Unless you are racing right now mileage is the big problem.

South Cal is a gas money eater rght now. My parents are funny, they use a truck with a minicab because the Fiero needs too much gas and they garage the mercedes which guzzles.

They should have sold all 4 and bought a Honda years ago duh.

fatboycg 06-01-2006 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 06 Honda Civic EX
I use the cheapest one, usually is SAFEWAY gas station +3 cents off, can't beat it

no way they charge like 3 cents more compared to the ones like chevron or shell. well out in ca it is. but i notice that arco ampm are the best in prices and stuff.

jakran 12-03-2010 09:58 PM

Re: What Gas Station Do You Use?

EDF and other environmental and public health organizations have urged US oil companies to refrain from using MMT in US gasoline products until adequate health testing has been completed. According to EDF's survey, the following companies are not currently using MMT in US gasoline: Amerada Hess, Amoco, Arco, BP America, Chevron, CITGO, Clark, Conoco, Exxon, Marathon, Mobil, Pennzoil, Phillips, Shell (Equilon), Sun, Texaco, Unocal (Tosco). Combined, these companies represent approximately 75 percent of US oil refining capacity.

gearbox 12-03-2010 10:28 PM

Re: What Gas Station Do You Use?

if anyone doesnt like ethanol in their gas, here is a great site to find gas stations with only gas and no fillers

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OK