Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   How to Remove Console with the metal trim? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/74462-how-remove-console-metal-trim.html)

Renamazazo 01-31-2003 02:11 PM

How to Remove Console with the metal trim?

I want to put in a different shift nob, so I have to remove my center console, I've read the DIY on this site for removing the console, but I had the metal trim kit installed and it covers the gaps that you need to put the screwdriver in, I was wodering if anyone else has been able to do it without F'Ing anything up, or if anyone has any suggestions on replacing the shift not without removing the console, Thanks
-Mark

Boilermaker1 01-31-2003 02:22 PM

If all you're doing is changing the knob, just push down on the boot collar until it pops off. Then unscrew the knob. The console only has to come out if you swap the boot too.

Renamazazo 01-31-2003 02:30 PM

But I can't get the collar off of the boot without taking off the console right? Cause The shift nob I have won't work with that collar.
-Mark

Boilermaker1 01-31-2003 02:46 PM

If the collar has to come off, then the console does have to come up, but you still have to unclip and remove the knob to do so. That still leaves.... how are you going to attach the bare end of the boot to the bottom of the knob?
There's a console DIY somewhere... if you've got an 03, then I dunno... it's probably a little different now that there's an armrest storage.

4bangin 01-31-2003 02:58 PM

i dont think there is any shift knob out there that will reattach to the boot. i just let mine fall. it doesnt even fall that far and it looks fine. i think just about everyone does that. even if you change the boot also, it will still just hang there unless you get a boot that connects to an aftermartket knob.

asianmatrix02 01-31-2003 03:11 PM

to fix that hanging boot collar, just go to home depot or anywhere and buy a bushing used for toilets or sinks. get one that will fit snuggly on the shaft of the shifter. put it under the collar(after removing the center console) and use the bushing to hold up the boot collar. this is what i did and everyone compliments me on the shift knob. i have the type r knob so everything matches. it will look as though u got the knob out of the factory.

4bangin 01-31-2003 03:20 PM

ya you can try that too. i did the same thing but with double sided foam tape. it worked well and i did get compliments on it. then when it turned cold, the tape froze and the collar slide back down, so i just took it off. i have the dc gunmetal knob so it matched pretty good as well. i may have to try the rubber thing, never thought of that.

asianmatrix02 01-31-2003 03:30 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: 4bangin
ya you can try that too. i did the same thing but with double sided foam tape. it worked well and i did get compliments on it. then when it turned cold, the tape froze and the collar slide back down, so i just took it off. i have the dc gunmetal knob so it matched pretty good as well. i may have to try the rubber thing, never thought of that.[hr]
the rubber bushing works perfect and don't have to worry about it slipping in any weather condition. looks as though it was made for the car.

slicksivik 01-31-2003 03:34 PM

anyone got a diy center console removal on the 03? i am having problems too, kinda cant get it off with the armrest storage there. do i need to take that off or something?