Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   ghetto remote start/pushbutton start (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/58185-ghetto-remote-start-pushbutton-start.html)

WhiteRabbit 10-11-2002 01:05 AM

ghetto remote start/pushbutton start

what is the difference, minus the remote relay? why should i invest in a $500 remote start if i can just hook up the pushbutton start idea to my alarm, and have a bonnefied ghetto remote start?

im missing a piece of the car's electrical ssytem, or a mechanical system here.....

I can bypass the clutch, and add a circuit to ensure it ONLY works with the car in neutral with the e brake on, so clutch and shifter are a non-issue...

but it CANT just be as easy as hot wiring my car to the alarm through a relay, can it? whats wrong with this picture?

power091999 10-11-2002 02:20 PM

Keep in mind our cars have a computer chip in the Key.... unless it's in the ingnition, i am not sure it will start... but there has to be away around that.

pothole 10-11-2002 04:02 PM

They way it works with a DEI alarm is that you have to put a programed key in the remote start unit for the car to start, otherwise it wont do anything. I know this because I have remote start on my Civic. Even with a push button start, the key still has to be i the transmision.
My advise is: Spend the extra money and have a professional do it. It will be woth it in the long run.

Pablo[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

theguysmiley 10-11-2002 04:02 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: power091999
Keep in mind our cars have a computer chip in the Key.... unless it's in the ingnition, i am not sure it will start... but there has to be away around that.[hr]
Keep the key in it...duh :) [/sarcasm :_please:]

WhiteRabbit 10-12-2002 02:18 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: pothole
They way it works with a DEI alarm is that you have to put a programed key in the remote start unit for the car to start, otherwise it wont do anything. I know this because I have remote start on my Civic. Even with a push button start, the key still has to be i the transmision.
My advise is: Spend the extra money and have a professional do it. It will be woth it in the long run.

Pablo[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
i am a professonal installer [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] your advice should be to "spend the extra money and get a professional system, rather than try to learn a car electrical system through trial and error. its more fun this way, however, even if it is a failed attempt [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

im glad there were replies, ive been working on this today. I have the ignition relay set and hooked up to a remote signal, and i just finished installing a megnetic switch so that it wont work unless the car is in neutral. next two steps are to bypass the clutch and to set up the ignition sequence, and put it on a timer.

makes sense now that you guys mention it, i had forgotten abotu the chip in the key. I will hvae to investigate that to see what can be done. there has to be a way to bypass it, just a matter of finding the right wires.....

Yakkolio 10-12-2002 04:52 PM

I have a EX Civic 5Speed and Auto Start w/ Alarm. Its not push button like say S2000. Clutch is bypassed and I can start and turn off my car with my remote. I like it :tup:. Basically you will lose a Key when you do an autostart system. My system is Prestige and we charge $299 installed. Your looking about $450 if you want a beeper alarm. So shop around and know what your getting when you get a alarm system...and not just a big noise maker.

Oishi 10-12-2002 05:58 PM

you have a reed switch...that is sweet...

instead of a remote start why not just have a hidden immobilizer using a reed switch and something to trigger it (a magnet) but not obvious enough for people to know that you need something else to start the car...

i think it will be sweet...like have a magnet hidden on a keychain...hover it around the reed switch without being too obvious then start your car...

WhiteRabbit 10-12-2002 07:52 PM

the reed switch is what i have to maek sure remote start only works in neutral [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

thats a really sweet idea, id like to have the remote ability, however. i agree, that that idea would be REALLY slick, especially imo if you ran that to the ignition, so you could run the magnet over the secret location and the car starts. never thought about that, and its a sweet idea!