Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   Injen CAI vibration? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/38669-injen-cai-vibration.html)

OmegaBlue2k1 05-30-2002 11:14 PM

Injen CAI vibration?

I just got my injen CAI today and it took longer to get my wheel off, (some wisea$$ at teh dealer torqued them down way too tight.) than it did to install the kit. Now my question is that when i took it for a test drive, the sound was amazingly more aggressive than my old shorty pipe. But, when nearing redline, there is a NASTY vibration noise coming from somewhere in the front area of my car, i have narrowed down that its not the intake rubbing agaisnt my strut bar, and its not the lower pipe rubbing the battery cage. I have teh rubber gasket stuff down where the pipe goes thru into the fenderwell under the headlight, so i dont think its coming from there either, I just want to know if this noise has happened to anyone else, its just like something is not tight enough but i cant figure out where or what. The intake sounds golden all teh way thru the revs just until near redline it starts making the vibrating noise. Any help would be appreciated. I had thought maybe i didnt put the wheelwell trim back in correctly but its reinstalled exactly the way it was before i opened it up for the install. Thanks.

Mbow 05-30-2002 11:34 PM

I was getting a little bit of a rattle a while back. I checked the bolt that goes through the bracket to fasten the pipe to the engine. It was very loose. Most of the noise went away after I retightened the bolt. I still get a little when starting in first gear if I am not real smooth or when rolling up onto a driveway at slow speeds.

speedracersong 05-31-2002 12:02 AM

same here!
i hate the noise it comes at redline.. like a metal noise. its hella annoying.
ive taken off my bumper like 20 times trying to isolate the problem i cant find it.
help please!

netcbc 05-31-2002 12:10 AM

happens to me too, i pretty sure its the 2 walls that surround the intake pipe, u know where u suppose to cut out, did u cut that part out? i didn't and i think thats the sound

speedracersong 05-31-2002 12:17 AM

it doesnt sound like plastic though. it has a metal tone to it.

2k2civicballer 05-31-2002 12:52 AM

you just need the shorten the opening of the CAI to the manifold...then youll have no rattle! been there done that:tup:

speedracersong 05-31-2002 12:56 AM

<< you just need the shorten the opening of the CAI to the manifold >>

please explain in more detail please!

Toretto 05-31-2002 01:05 AM

is the transmission braket tighten on the way down?

Team Turismo

speedracersong 05-31-2002 01:10 AM

everything is tight![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

OCTANECOUPE 06-02-2002 07:27 PM

take your front bumper off and see if its rubbing metal close to the filter(the spot where your cut the plastic for a better fit)
that piece of plastic was pushing my cai into metal on opposite side,i just stuck a piece of rubber there and no more knocking

CelCUs 06-13-2002 01:07 PM

I would say it's hitting near the filter but you probably put that rubber stuff on to deaden the noise. I recently took off the lower pipe on my Injen CAI cuz I was scared of the hydrolock and it floods sometimes where i just moved. (so Im told) but when I took off the lower pipe there was a huge dent into the pipe, almost all the way through it. Take out your battery and check around there cuz' it might be hitting the metal around there.