Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   To do, or not do? (Timing Belt Q, 01' Civic) (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/333188-do-not-do-timing-belt-q-01-civic.html)

green01civic 11-09-2010 03:11 PM

To do, or not do? (Timing Belt Q, 01' Civic)

Background...
'01 Honda Civic EX (Automatic, 49 state emissions), 145,xxx miles. Seems relatively clean, runs well. Purchased used, no idea when or if ever the timing belt has been changed, no service records.

I decided to take my car to a Honda dealer for timing belt replacement (there's a good deal going on :)) and have service scheduled for this Thursday, but we had a debate as whether or not to replace the Crankshaft Pulley. The service manager came squarely on the side of "there's no reason to ever service it, there's nothing to break".

I think there might have been some confusion, maybe I'm saying the wrong thing, or maybe he's thinking I'm thinking something different. (He seemed nice and wanted to be genuinely helpful, so maybe I'm overthinking things).

Questions...
I was under the impression that the crank pulley also acts as a harmonic balancer, am I correct or is this wrong? (The engine isn't shaking or doing anything weird, I just want to prevent any problems from coming up later).
Should I call them back up and make them order the part and replace it, or is this something that I can just replace later (without a problem) if there is ever a problem? (I'm gonna feel like a dick if I have to call them back a third time, but if I want it done, I want it done right).
Does anyone have an idea of list price for the part? I cant seem to find it on Majestic honda.

Thanks for listening, and there is a lot of great info here that I've been reading :)

PS> Before "do your own t-belt", while I am comfortable doing many things, brakes, tune ups, oil changes, I just don't want to touch it, and they've got a great deal right now: Timing belt, water pump & seal, and accessory belts for $389, Tensioner installed +$75. Genuine Honda parts, and price includes Labor.

gearbox 11-09-2010 03:48 PM

Re: To do, or not do? (Timing Belt Q, 01' Civic)

there IS something to break in the crank pulley, specifically the rubber "harmonic balance" insert which can crumble to pieces and cause excess vibration of the engine, eventually causing bearing failure. crank pulley is recommended to be replaced every 60-80k miles, or at least every time you do the timing belt service. sad to say most of us amateurs (including you) know quite a bit more than dealer service techs. they dont really have alot of automotive knowledge and rely on what their papers and computers tell them to say. so yes, tell him to order the pulley and change it out (be sure to request they give the old pulley back so you can make sure they actually changed it, there should be alot of rust on the old one and the rubber is prolly torn if you open it up and look).

BlueEM2 11-09-2010 06:00 PM

Whatever you do, DO NOT get an aftermarket pulley. I know your dealing with Honda themselves, but I'll throw it out there for whoever else reads this thread for informational purposes.

lazlong 11-09-2010 09:45 PM

I have several friends in the biz- techs, parts, and service. The techs do know what their doing (on the make they work for) but, you can't talk to them. The service guys know jack s**t while the parts guys usually have a clue (and they will answer most questions).

green01civic 11-10-2010 12:04 PM

I spoke to the service manager again, he was very understanding (though said he doesn't recall ever having to change one out before). Parts are
~$30 extra, and no additional labor. Seems worth it :)

Thank you all for your replies: @gearbox, for your prompt and detailed answer, @tbohar for your advice on the pulley, and @lazlong, for your insight into management vs techs. I greatly appreciate it.

lazlong 11-10-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by green01civic (Post 4498653)
~$30 extra, and no additional labor. Seems worth it :)

Yeah, hella deal.