Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   backup fuse question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/32970-backup-fuse-question.html)

aldini 04-20-2002 01:57 AM

backup fuse question

ok, what the f@!#!@$ is the backup fuse??? #2 under the hood

I've been doing a lot of electrical stuff to my car and that fuse keeps blowing up and I have no idea where to start tracing as I've added lots of new stuff to my car.

Where does the Backup fuse go to?/ any ideas?

Thanks

ayzan 04-20-2002 02:10 AM

my guess would be the reverse lights.

Crashoveride 04-20-2002 08:30 AM

Yeah I would think it to be the reverse lights, are you splicing into any of those wires for that circuit?.

aldini 04-20-2002 11:10 AM

hehe no I thought of that but my reverse lights work.. let me tell you what doesn't work:

My Power door locks (when the car is off)
My alarm
My stereo

and when I replaced the fuse everything works, and the fuse blew up within 20 seconds

aldini 04-20-2002 02:09 PM

anybody? I tried unplugging everything I installed and I still keep blowing them up as soon as I put them in...

ALSO I get a MAJOR shock whenever I close my door now

Kairi 04-20-2002 04:57 PM

"MAJOR" shock is make because of furry chairs and car :)

as for fuse - ask radio shak people - or dealership .. secret is to pretend like u will buy what is needed to fix it! once u kno how to fix it, just drive away - very smrt asn technique

-Kairi

BAK 04-20-2002 05:47 PM

Sounds to me like you've got a power wire that is shorting to the frame somewhere. What exactly have you done, electrically? I had a problem with mine also, and found out when the guy ran my power wire back to the trunk for my amp, when he reinstalled the bolt that holds the seatbelt bracket, the wire was too close to the bolt and the threads cut the insulation of the wire causing it too short. Luckily it didn't catch fire !!!

aldini 04-20-2002 07:53 PM

Oh MY GOD I figured out what it was... Ok here's the story: I bought a power inverter, and I hooked it up to my laptop. Then I hooked up my laptop to the power inverter and plugged my laptop into the amp and I heard this WEIRD ASS SOUND to the speakers and burning smell.. That was the first time it blew up... then after about 2 hours of unplugging all my electrical stuff I decided to take off my car stereo (stock HU) and as soon as I took it off it stopped blowing up the fuse..

QUESTION: Can I get a new HU under warranty? I really don't need it anymore, but I want a working hU in case I want to sell the car/trade in etc etc, besides it's under warranty

What would you guys recommend me? unplug everything and return back to stock? they are never going to know it's the stereo unless I tell them what I did.. they are going to take my car apart thinking it's a ground problem and it's the stereo that's blowing up the fuse...