Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   After replacing timing belt car wont start (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/323908-after-replacing-timing-belt-car-wont-start.html)

obscure86 11-22-2009 05:14 PM

After replacing timing belt car wont start

Hi, i have a 1994 honda civic ex vtec stock motor. So heres the story on the car. Just bought the civic then a month later the timing belt snapped on the road, 1 block away from my house so i pushed it back and this weekend i figured i should do a timing belt replacement *maybe the valves arent bent*. So during the weekend, replaced the timing belt with the help of this thread http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=649277 . Install complete, checked the compression on the motor, 180,180,150,170. from left to right. Tried to start the car, and to no avail, car doesnt start. I even took out a spark plug to see if it was firing, and it doesnt produce a spark at all. Went and replaced the distributor cap & rotor, and still the car doesnt start. So my question, do i have to redo the timing belt? (im 90% sure i got the timing right) or did something else F up? PLEASE HELP i am out of clues.

greeen01civic4d 11-22-2009 09:29 PM

Re: After replacing timing belt car wont start

if ur belt snapped, u bent valves, looks to be on the cylinder with 150 compression, thats where i would start

obscure86 11-22-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d (Post 4445650)
if ur belt snapped, u bent valves, looks to be on the cylinder with 150 compression, thats where i would start

Should it still be able to start though?

greeen01civic4d 11-22-2009 09:34 PM

probably, wouldnt run well, but probably. id double check timing

imdstrbd 12-06-2009 12:42 PM

You are down on compression just do to normal wear on the engine. Hondas run a non interference engine. I work in a garage where we have done loads of head work on all different types of cars. The pistons in your motor are angle on the top so if the valve is down and the piston comes up it wont hit. If the valve was bent it would have way less than 100lbs. I would start by making sure your in time. Let me know if you are still having issues!

civicsrcool 12-06-2009 07:19 PM

wrong section of forum. lol.. but in any case, it sounds that the problem is completely different than the timing belt. because even if you missed the timing by a tooth or 2 the engine should still start. and yeah 150lbs is still fine. i think the general rule is that there should be no more than 15% difference between all cylinders, from the average compression reading. (according to my auto tech teacher in high school, lol) so add up all your compression readings and divide by 4. take 15% of that value and the cylinders should be within plus or minus 15% of your average value. so it looks like your range should be within 144.5-195.5 range, which your are within the range

its probably gonna be some stupid problem, like forgetting to plug some sensors in. double check all the wiring. maybe your plugs are bad because you said there was no spark. the plugs could have fouled out because the timing was off beforehand.

schpenxel 12-06-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d (Post 4445650)

Not true. I have the same engine..timing belt broke, dealership told the previous owner valves were bent. I bought the car for almost nothing.. NO valves were bent. Started right up after putting on a new timing belt.

civicsrcool 12-06-2009 09:01 PM

^^ it really depends on a lot of factors, but in the normal case you will have bent valves.