Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   CAR REVING UP AND DOWN BY ITSELF (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/31729-car-reving-up-down-itself.html)

supermex 04-11-2002 11:42 AM

CAR REVING UP AND DOWN BY ITSELF

Twice allready my car's engine started reving up and down out of control and it goes away after you drive for awhile?
I know of another person with the same problem.
I have intake ,headers and NOS for 6 months now, and this problem just happen a few days ago?
It sounds to me that it may be a sensor.
Any feed back will be appreciated.

kristy 04-11-2002 12:08 PM

Mine does that too, I would like to know what it is as well. All I have is exhaust but it did it before I got the exhaust too.
(hope pimp doesnt lock this, maybe it should be in issues/problems[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] )
anyway yeah I'd like to know too

rs232 04-11-2002 12:55 PM

I've heard of several Civic's (5th & 6th gen) having this problem. It is caused by a bad cruise control system. When it starts doing it. Put the parking break on. Pop the hood and take a look at the throttle cable. If it is moving, then it's the cruise control. If not it maybe a bad IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) This is a valve that supplies air to your engine while idling. When it starts going bad it either idles up and down, or it sticks in a certain position (which will make you idle rpm vary due to air density, tempature, etc, etc).

supermex 04-11-2002 01:37 PM

Good suggestions rs232 I'll check it out.

Chrisy,
You are right, this is the wrong forum
I just posted the same thread in the
(vehicle issues and problems) forum.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD

WeSSoN 04-11-2002 03:12 PM

fried alternator??? timing belt messed up??? could be those things....but I really ain't sure

Mokushi 04-11-2002 05:21 PM

I had a similar incident with my car after I removed my aem intake and put the stock air box back on. It goes away after a while. It happened because I disconnected my battery, thus resetting the ecu. The car was just trying to recalibrate it's a/f ratio again. Not a big deal, goes away after you drive for a while and/or turning the car on and off throughout the day.

I only noticed it because when I came to a stop at a light, I could hear my exhaust revving up and going back down a couple of times. If you disconnected your battery recently, then this is most likely the cause. Don't worry, it's not harmful or anything. Your car is just relearning and gathering data from all of its sensors.

pheaton 04-11-2002 06:11 PM

Car does it when it's cold. It's the auto choke thing. . I think?? When it's cold the computer revs it to warm it up quicker. That's why it stops after awhile. . When she is warmed up. .

ShadyMilkMan 04-11-2002 06:23 PM

ITs talking to you.

Toad 04-11-2002 08:10 PM

thats strange.. ive never heard of a car reving itself to warm up...

-Toad

R3DF0G 04-11-2002 08:36 PM

He lives in Florida so I don't think it's cause of the cold.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] IACV sounds right, my friends CRX had that problem before he swapped the engine.

mikalem 04-11-2002 08:50 PM

there was a recall that might be something to look into too.... I guess some of the stock airboxes were designed faulty and pieces were going into the intake, wedging it open slightly. You might want to check that out too.

fraga 04-11-2002 09:30 PM

Dude, I think your car is haunted. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

supermex 04-12-2002 11:34 AM

Wow,:eek:
I POSTED IN THE WRONG FOURUM!

But, I ought to say that read some of the most logical and bizare sugestions.
I don't know where to start now [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Do I need a CPU expert?
Or should I get an exorcist priest? :susp:
I'll be out of town over the weekend, but when I come back I'll check into it.
Thanks

NOW DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS THREAD no moo! :shake:

Samari 10-14-2003 05:53 PM

mine is doing the same thing also and my car tries to die also. im taking to the dealer to get it check out. they said it is probably just that the idle is off so they need to reset it or something. All i know is they better fix it.

civic01vtec 10-14-2003 05:59 PM

haha.......really old thread

xRiCeBoYx 10-14-2003 06:02 PM

dayam.. first post: "posted: 04-11-2002 at 09:42 AM"
haha.. my old car does that on me..

Samari 10-15-2003 10:25 AM

your old car. Did you get a new one?

xRiCeBoYx 10-15-2003 12:21 PM

my new car is my 7thgen.. my old car is my automatic '92 toyota paseo..

Alex1 10-15-2003 12:34 PM

It's the idle sensor. I had just replaced one on a 5.0 Mustang. It does the same shit, rev up and down out of the blue.

kyle4583 10-15-2003 12:57 PM

its possessed (spelling?)

Samari 10-15-2003 01:06 PM

well im going to the honda dealer on friday, i made an appointment so hopefully they fix it, cuz its pissing me off.

C2i0v0i1C 10-15-2003 04:29 PM

NOW DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS THREAD no moo!

Originally posted by Samari
mine is doing the same thing also and my car tries to die also. im taking to the dealer to get it check out. they said it is probably just that the idle is off so they need to reset it or something. All i know is they better fix it.

bc the prob was fixxed 1.5 years ago, and u revived it

Samari 10-15-2003 05:27 PM

your an idiot. "cuz i reved it". what are you talking about. i have an 03 and its messing up so obvisously they didnt fix nothing. how about you get your facts straight before you repond to this thread. Are you sitting next to me in my car so you know what its doing. I dont think so.

Samari 10-15-2003 05:28 PM

who in there right mind would make up something like this and post it on here. i cant get over the fact that your an idiot.

abmerop18 10-15-2003 06:29 PM

it could be the throttle cable is getting caught somewhere. when i first installed my intake i had the same problem because one of the cables was stuck underneath it by accident. it seemed like it would auto cruise at like 80 and wouldnt stop. i just looked under the hood when i got home and fixed the problem.

C2i0v0i1C 10-15-2003 06:37 PM

i beg to differ

Alex1 10-15-2003 09:28 PM

if it is the idle sensor, theyre going to have to replace it.

WannaBFast 10-16-2003 06:57 PM

what mods do you have? cause something isnt getting enough back pressure

Ouse 10-16-2003 07:32 PM

im having the same problem and i just replaced the whole throttle body and it still is happening. honda couldn't figure out the problem but i had a cai and i found out the pipe was taping a few ground wires and spaking a little. you guys with injen might want to make sure that the pipe is clear of everything cause alot of my wires caught fire and i had to re wire alot of the harness.

DUBjr 10-16-2003 07:58 PM

Its most likely one or more of your sensors, a buddy of mine had that happen on his eagle talon... (eclipse) in the U.S.......the estimate for his repair bill was about 2 Gs.....he ended up trading the car in.....i recommend that you go to your dealer as fast as if your ass was on fire....