Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   Acceleration probs/rattling engine (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/315997-acceleration-probs-rattling-engine.html)

blacklistxc 03-20-2009 04:23 AM

Acceleration probs/rattling engine

I have a 2004 Honda Civic with a manual transmission 1.7L engine.

In Dec of last year my car was exposed to sub zero weather which I believe may be the initial cause of my problems. Initially, the 1st problems I had with my car was a rattling noise which periodically sounded between shifting gears and the sound seemed like it was coming from the right side of the engine where the pulleys are or from the throttle body area. Also the engine would often stall out. I took my car to Honda and they claimed the problem was due to my faulty MAP (manifold absolute pressure sensor) since that is what my engine code indicated. I had the sensor replaced but I am still having some problems.

1st, I am having slow acceleration

2nd, the engine tends to de-accelerate itself often. For example, If I am at a stop then start driving, I can shift from first gear to 2nd, but as I am getting ready to shift into 3rd, the engine begins slowing down even when I have the gas pedal pushed all the way down and engine still in gear. I have this problem with every gear and can only get up to higher speeds if I shift at lower speeds, which are lower speeds than what I normally shifted at when the car was running good.

3rd, the rattling noise is still present. It sounds like it is coming from either the throttle body area or the right side of the engine where all the pulleys and belts are located.

Does anyone have any opinions on what my problem(s) may be? I just don't wanna be in the position of where I am constantly taking my car into Honda for repairs and spending money when none of their repairs seem to be fixing the problem.

Also, I have been on top of always having fresh oil, fresh fluids, and clean filters

gearbox 03-20-2009 11:15 AM

Re: Acceleration probs/rattling engine

this is tough, did the engine light ever come back on? i doubt the cold weather did anything, i mean there are civics driving in canada where it gets to -40F. it almost sounds like a tuneup issue either with clogged injectors, bad plugs, or fuel system/pump pressure below spec. for a car to lose power something is wrong with the air/fuel/spark delivery. i would also start by cleaning the intake system including the throttle body and idle air valve bolted to it (the one with the coolant lines plugged to it). take them all off and clean them with carb cleaner. also check your stock intake for major blockages like leaves or dead mouse lol you never know.

colourwolf 03-20-2009 12:59 PM

My car sit at outdoor parking lot for half a year@ -30C (-22F?).....it starts everyday. The reponds are somewhat slow for the first 15-20mins driving.....but nothing like u described.

blacklistxc 03-24-2009 02:33 PM

The only reason I bring up the weather is because I have had the car in florida up until about last April then I was stationed up in Montana. We had a bad winter storm in December where my car was exposed to -50F degree weather for a couple of weeks and my car never had any problems until this time.

But yea the engine check light has been cycling on and off and as of the past week or so has remained on. I am taking it in this week to get checked out and will bring up your suggestions. I just don't need the mechanics claiming it is the clutch causing the problems or something else bogus like that. Thanks for your guys' help.

babzog 03-26-2009 07:33 PM

I'm in Canada and my '02 Acura 1.7EL starts and runs just fine even in -25C weather. A little slow to crank sometimes and the shifter is noticeably stiffer in that cold but I let it warm at least 30s and then start driving slowly for the first 5km and then it's fine.

I had stuttering and rough idle problems a couple of years ago. I fixed it by dropping a K&N replacement filter into the stock airbox. After a short while (I presume the computer had to adjust to the new airflow rate), the stuttering and rough idle completely disappeared.

I had/have a rattle as well, at about 3200 or so RPM. Many visits to the dealer resulted in nothing. Another mechanic removed a loose heat shield somewhere which cured most of the rattle. I presume there's another somewhere up front that's causing the remaining rattle. Annoying but doesn't hinder performance at all.