Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   UPDATE: FUBAR'd - Speedfoos DIY Valve Cover Painting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/296800-update-fubard-speedfoos-diy-valve-cover-painting.html)

speedfoos 07-01-2007 06:09 PM

UPDATE: FUBAR'd - Speedfoos DIY Valve Cover Painting

Buh bye.

speedfoos 07-01-2007 06:10 PM

New Color in progress - Speedfoos DIY Valve Cover Painting - 21 pics!!

Buh bye.

Re: Speedfoos DIY Valve Cover Painting - Opinions Needed - 21 pics!!!

Buh bye.

Buh bye.

Eyger 07-01-2007 06:26 PM

Wow, that looks really nice. Great job on the valve cover. Hm, I don't think you should put patterns on it or anything, unless you have something else to match it too. Ex: If you have checkered/flames/whatever on your hood or interior somewhere catch my drift? Although I think you could probably just lightly dust some silver flake of some sort over the whole thing, not too much, then clear over that to give it a slight metallic look.

speedfoos 07-01-2007 06:38 PM

Good idea on the silver flake. I will give that a try. This is a spare VC at this point anyway, since I have my blue PC'd one on the car.

Boilermaker1 07-01-2007 06:44 PM

I'm not so sure the stock coating is actually paint. If you actually manage to get it off, its quite rubbery, I wouldnt be surprised if it was some kind of baked on finish thats not meant to come off. Definitely a pain. In all honesty, I think you probably can get by using that stuff as primer.... just sand/scotchbrite it up so paint sticks, clean it real well and make use of the fact that there's an impenatrable layer of shit on the VC.

DsevenEm2 07-01-2007 07:00 PM

i think it wouldve been nicer if the paint coulda been like a metallicy silvery black color u know? like a candy black??? i guess i duno if u could add that kind of effect to the black now but...itd be cool... regaqrdless it looks beautiful. u know wat ive never seen before. a VC on the motor that was the same as the pic u had after it had be eaten by the wire brush and eveyrthing. where it was completely polished. that would give someones motor a very serious machine like appearance IMO... good job speedfos ur the shizzit

MURDOCK 07-01-2007 07:14 PM

Looks good but I would not mess with flake just keep it simple I like a clean look over something too flashy.

Nice work shop.

LT2004ever 07-01-2007 07:39 PM

great DIY man, lol i think i might be doing it pretty soon :)

also i bet all those people living in the sewer are hating you right now.... :lol:

gearbox 07-01-2007 09:30 PM

looks good just keep it like it is. all these paints and primers are very hi heat resistant i hope?

acchione 07-01-2007 09:41 PM

looks nice how it is, I wouldn't add any patterns or designs. interested in selling it? i doubt i'll have time for that any time soon.

PopcornPlaya 07-01-2007 10:04 PM

Would AirCraft stripper have worked better on the paint? I know when I painted the one on my buddy's Civ, the air craft stripper removed all of it rather quickly.

burke420 07-01-2007 11:07 PM

dayyum! i seen a VC in LouisVuitton theme, my question, how hard to get that pattern,,,, id like that! but yours, that black is perfect

Boilermaker1 07-01-2007 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya (Post 4209955)
Would AirCraft stripper have worked better on the paint? I know when I painted the one on my buddy's Civ, the air craft stripper removed all of it rather quickly.

No. A/S is what I used and it did no better of a job.

speedfoos 07-02-2007 01:20 AM

Yeah, that marine Zip Strip stuff is about as strong as the aircraft stripper. Like boiler said, it was so hard to remove, it has to have been baked on and not regular paint. The D17 is special in so many ways, VC paint just being one of them.

Every day is Earth Day.

Its just regular outdoor enamel paint. I painted my drums and calipers with it two years ago and it hasn't burned or flaked off of them yet. The VC doesn't get hot enough to pose a serious risk to this finish. I'll be baking it tonight, now that's it completely dry to cure it the rest of the way.

I would have polished it, but I didn't feel like getting all that crap out of the nooks and crannies. I was almost there, another 2-3 hours with the Dremel would have done it. But I also wanted to see how well this black would lay down with a paint gun. I may polish the next one, we'll see.

I am thinking about selling it though.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks!

TRIZ 07-02-2007 01:35 AM

:tup: good write up speedfoos

So.Ill.EM2 07-02-2007 02:18 AM

sell it to me!!!

speedfoos 07-02-2007 12:12 PM

Thanks folks.

I'm going to clear it tonight and maybe hit one sanding and then clear it again. Looking to give it 3-4 coats of clear with sanding in between.

I'll take serious offers. Shipping will be $18. I would prefer to get your stock VC as part of the deal so I can paint another one.

Eyger 07-02-2007 02:16 PM

Speedfoos,
Pertaining to the polished valve cover, there are other options both House of Kolor and Alsa makes a chrome paint, which is expensive unfourtunately, but very good if you don't want to send things away for getting chromed and such.

speedfoos 07-02-2007 02:28 PM

Yeah but I'd have to get the stuff sent over via surface mail - in otherwords on a boat taking months. One of the few downfalls to living in the UK is that you can't get paint and other flammables shipped via normal airmail. I still may take the time on my next one and completely polish it out.

Oooo.....this may give me an excuse to make a sandblasting cabinet and buy a gun!

And its rainy, shitty, and cold tonight so I'm not going to mess with trying to clear coat in this temp and humidity.

speedfoos 07-05-2007 11:04 AM

Buh bye.

speedfoos 07-05-2007 11:32 AM

Buh bye.

gearbox 07-05-2007 12:44 PM

Re: UPDATE: FUBAR'd - Speedfoos DIY Valve Cover Painting

wow that sucks, i know how it is with stuff falling and breaking.

speedfoos 07-05-2007 01:15 PM

Yeah, I was more than a little pissed when it happened.

Eyger 07-05-2007 01:41 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel, stuff like that has happened to me before.

Well for the record it looked good so far.

TRIZ 07-05-2007 01:44 PM

^^ it looked like a lego.

Is the inside of the lip cracked as well?

speedfoos 07-05-2007 02:14 PM

No the inside isn't cracked, it might be OK, but I wouldn't trust it personally.

DsevenEm2 07-05-2007 02:15 PM

Lmao Haha

MURDOCK 07-05-2007 02:46 PM

sucks take it to a recycle yard for $$