Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   S2000 steering wheel wiring question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/291926-s2000-steering-wheel-wiring-question.html)

skunk2civic04 03-17-2007 10:18 PM

S2000 steering wheel wiring question

I've been searching the net and several honda forums, but I can't find an answer. I've got a used 2002 honda s2000 steering wheel that I'm going to put on my 2004 honda civic ex coupe...the only problem is that my stock airbag is a dual stage airbag, but the s2k bag is a single stage. Does anyone know how the s2k airbag is supposed to be wired up for the airbag itself and the cruise control to work properly? The closest thing I found was a post from 7thgencivic.com from 2004, and it vaguely made a reference to putting a 2 ohm resistor on the yellow wires and switching my stock civic connector over to the s2k bag, but I don't know if that's how it should be done. I just don't want my s2k bag to go off due to me not wiring it right, because I paid a pretty penny for it! Any help is greatly appreciated! Hope these pics help some.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_282_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_283_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_284_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_285_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_286_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_287_full.jpg

rice4lyfe 03-18-2007 02:55 AM

dual stage air bags are pretty new to Honda. I believe that the s2k's changed from single to dual in 04-05 (not sure). I don't think its a good idea to try to bypass an airbag.

One option you can do it to buy the 05 s2k's airbag and drop that in, that will work (99%).

bobsagator 03-19-2007 08:18 AM

Someone had an s2k wheel installed, but never wired the airbag. I think he finally gave up and went for a RSX/ep3 wheel instead. Rewiring an airbag without knowing exactly what you are doing just doesn't sound safe. Although if you find the right way to do it, there will be MANY interested people around here!

skunk2civic04 03-24-2007 08:11 PM

Re: S2000 steering wheel wiring question

I'll have this bad boy in next Saturday if everything goes as planned. I'm getting a honda technician to wire it up for me. He said the single stage airbag can be wired to properly deploy in the event of an accident, but he has to use a certain tool that's at the dealership. Hell yeah! I can't wait till next week! I'll keep you guys posted with pics once it's in!

Lord ET 03-24-2007 09:21 PM

you might want to ask exactly what 'tool' he used.

tuningmycivic 03-28-2007 01:40 PM

subscribed....

tuningmycivic 03-28-2007 01:47 PM

subscribed....

Scott Civic 04-01-2007 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by skunk2civic04 (Post 4164190)
I'll have this bad boy in next Saturday if everything goes as planned. I'm getting a honda technician to wire it up for me. He said the single stage airbag can be wired to properly deploy in the event of an accident, but he has to use a certain tool that's at the dealership. Hell yeah! I can't wait till next week! I'll keep you guys posted with pics once it's in!

Oh, really? And he's going to back up the work with a full guarantee and warranty from his shop, right? That's assuming it won't void out any sort of existing warranty you may still have on the car.

Not sure what tool this mechanic will use to accomplish this switch, but I can definitely think of a reason for the word 'tool' to be used here.

speedfoos 04-01-2007 07:28 AM

Why so bitter? He's just trying to get it done right. Of course anytime you replace/swap the factory airbag system with something not OEM, you've got a 99.9% chance of voiding your warranty. I'm sure he's aware of that fact. I give him props for working to get the airbag functional instead of just leaving it unhooked, and only having the steering wheel work. Most of us on here have done things to our vehicles that voided the warranty a long time ago. Give the kid a hand or some advice, don't come down on him for trying.

Scott Civic 04-01-2007 07:21 PM

Sorry, speedfoos, but I will come down on him. He's trying to rig up a SAFETY feature of his car, all in the name of coolness and the hopes that this one 'tech' can do it right.

As for advise, I did give advise to him; you simply chose to call it bitterness. If you had half the wisdom you imply, you'd be cautioning him, too.

tuningmycivic 04-15-2007 11:53 AM

so.....did he get it figured out?

fallstar01 04-15-2007 01:49 PM

Call me crazy, but I'm going to venture here and say, the "Tool" in question allows him to properly crimp/attach a new dual-stage connector to those single stage airbag wires which is a much better method than, say, twisting the wires and covering them with electrical tape.

A Honda-tech can look up which wire would go where. Further, this guy will be able to know, for sure, which stage of a dual-stage bag corresponds to the right timing for a single stage bag (I'd venture the first).

Other than the dimensions of the bag itself (they may be vary well be the same or within reasonable tolerance of a single-stage civic airbag, again the honda-tech can look this up), there is no reason that this shouldn't provide the adequate safety of the hundreds of the millions of single stage air-bag vehicles on the road.

skunk2civic04 04-16-2007 10:08 PM

To all the haters, I don't give a rat's ass... My warranty was voided a long time ago, so that was never an issue. If I was trying to "rig" my airbag, do you think I would have even made this thread? Seriously, get over yourself and your jealousy. If I had been putting a racing steering wheel, I could understand, but I replaced an airbag with another OEM approved airbag.

To those who are interested, the connectors from the stock airbag had to be cut and rewired onto the S2000 airbag so everything would reconnect. If you plan on doing this swap and you have a dual stage airbag, you have a choice to make: Either wire the airbag to the yellow wires, which inflates the bag when there is minimal impact (it inflates at a lower velocity); or wire it to the red wires, which are the primary inflators in the event of a major impact. I chose the red wires. In order for the SRS unit to think the yellow wires are still being used, you need to wire a 2-ohm resistor to them (we used two 1-ohm resistors strung in a series). Some people will cry foul and complain that the airbag will not inflate in a minor front impact... I told you that you have to make a choice. I personally would rather them inflate in a major impact. Next, the Honda tech wired up the cruise control after comparing the wire schematics of my civic and the 02 S2k. I think he was more stoked than I was because the wheel fit perfectly, there is no play or looseness with the cable reel, the airbag is functional, the cruise control is functional, the horn works, and there is no SRS light! This wheel feels so much better too. I love this thing!
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_309_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_310_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_311_full.jpg

drunkenmagnum 04-17-2007 08:06 AM

nice, looks good. but something that doesnt look good are those floor mats.

what part of georgia are you from?

tuningmycivic 04-17-2007 08:11 AM

^ good call josh, i was gonna say the same thing.

any chance you have pics for a diy? or maybe just for our benefit in case we wanna do something similar?? and do your cruise controls still work??

skunk2civic04 04-17-2007 08:11 AM

I know, I know. I bought those floor mats a long time ago and need to get rid of them. They didn't even add 1 hp! Yes, I'm joking. Representing Albany, Ga.

dizbstretch 04-17-2007 08:29 AM

nice diy man... that wheels looks really nice man...

drunkenmagnum 04-17-2007 09:22 AM

u live in albany! thats like a 40 min drive from my house, i am down there all the time. i know some guys down there too. maybe we can meet up and u can show me that wheel sometime.

ohsnapsjay08 04-17-2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bobsagator (Post 4161621)
Someone had an s2k wheel installed, but never wired the airbag. I think he finally gave up and went for a RSX/ep3 wheel instead. Rewiring an airbag without knowing exactly what you are doing just doesn't sound safe. Although if you find the right way to do it, there will be MANY interested people around here!

Ehem, that would be me :lol: DAng i remeber trying to figure this ish out and its installed to my car for months.... and i just realized its not worth bypassing wires specially when it comes to airbags. that can blow up any minute when your driving and thats a no go. so i end up going for EP3, haha lovin it... but i really miss that s2000 steering. but then agian, i made money out of it, got the s2000 for 280 and sold it for 400:clap: welps, good luck! if you where able to bypass the cel (and not by putting electrical tape over it) let us know!

J

ohsnapsjay08 04-17-2007 10:01 AM

oh wow. you did it! lol nice going bro! it really looks nice doesnt it lol. its one of the best steering i've seen by far. then with an rsx seats 04 woot! and yea, when it comes on fitting the car, that fits perfectly and all.. just the airbag but you where able to figure it out. cool stuff!

DaMadScientist 04-17-2007 10:33 AM

04+ S2000 wheels are plug an play

skunk2civic04 04-17-2007 11:01 AM

tuningmycivic, sorry but I didn't take any pics as the Honda tech installed it. My cruise control is fully functional though. The only real difference is the wheel from the S2k only had a 2-button cruise control whereas our civics have a third "cancel" button. However, the cruise control can easily be disengaged by either lightly tapping the brakes or clicking off the cruise button over by the coin holder.

drunkenmagnum, it would be cool to meet up sometime in Albany. Just let me know when you would want to do it. Some car guys meet almost every Saturday night at the Sonic by Walmart on Ledo road, so we could meet up there if you wanted. Just let me know.

DaMadScientist is right on the money. I wasn't aware the S2k airbags were single stage from 99-03, and then dual stage from 04+. If I could go back in time, I would have bought an 04+ because it would have been plug and play. You can wire a 99-03 up to be fully functional, as I have proven, but I would recommend getting an 04 or newer bag just because it's a hell of a lot easier to install.

DaMadScientist 04-17-2007 11:10 AM

oh yea no doubt skunk2....the 04+ also have a little redesign of the honda emblem, you know when its a 04+ when the H in the middle is square and not round...but looking good none the less

Quick question...if you were to remove those cruise control buttons...does it leave a hole in the steering wheel or is it kind of an add-on

tuningmycivic 04-17-2007 11:46 AM

*note to self* 04 s2k wheel is a bolt in affair...

hey josh (drunkenmagnum), i was thinking of driving down to Atl end of the month, I got a class to go to in Buckhead. maybe we could get together then? i'd like to see this wheel as well.....

skunk2civic04 04-17-2007 02:39 PM

If you removed the cruise control buttons on my S2k wheel, it does leave a hole....not a gaping hole, but it's not covered without it. However, it may or may not be different with the 04+ S2k wheel.

drunkenmagnum 04-17-2007 02:41 PM

sure thing, just let me know. u can just stay at my place too if u need to.

tuningmycivic 04-17-2007 07:32 PM

nah, uncle sam's footing the bill so i can work on my CCNP certification, but i'm driving down on sunday the 29th, i'll let you know something later that week. maybe chill at hooters or the varsity or something like that during the week...

bobsagator 04-18-2007 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ohsnapsjay08 (Post 4176080)
Ehem, that would be me :lol:

I was gonna go thru my subscribed threads to find you and PM you to make sure you saw this. Just been crazy busy at work.

ohsnapsjay08 04-18-2007 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobsagator (Post 4176638)
I was gonna go thru my subscribed threads to find you and PM you to make sure you saw this. Just been crazy busy at work.

haha. thanks bro. now some1 actually manage to bypass DUal to Singel ... i would actually get the 04 but i prefer the 01-03 s2000 design. but i'll just stick to my EP3 red stiching.. matches my red gauge meter :tup:

ohsnapsjay08 04-18-2007 02:24 PM

ey skunk, i believe you where the one who thought me how do the DIY grill on Car domain and all those other stuff like pulley(even emailed me to help me out about those things). hehe now i remeber. Now, all you need is a RSX 05 leather seats haha