Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   Help Overheating (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/217159-help-overheating.html)

Ellocodetroit 06-21-2005 02:17 AM

Help Overheating

:help: I think my fans are not turning on. The car began to overheat when I was on the freeway heading home in stop and go traffic. When I pulled over the hose from thermostat housing to the back of the block was ruptured and coolant was everywhere. I had used the same stock hose when I did my TB heater bypass and just connected it directly into the block. Since I was on the freeway shoulder I had to Mcgyver a solution to get me home or to a autoparts store. So I sliced enough hose from my windshield wiper connections and put in place of the black one. Crossed my fingers and prayed it work for a short while. It did a decent job but it also ruptured, I knew it would, but it got me to auto zone to buy the correct hose (about 10 miles). I replaced the hose added some water and some prestone antifreee(I know I should use honda coolant but I was in a pinch). And before I got to the freeway the son of biatch started to overheat again. By this time I'm pissed, a srt4 driver is laughing at me, a mustang owner is shaking is head and I'm dogging them out like I'm about to lay the smack down. While at the red light my vic is emitting more steam then a cooling tower. I pull into a gas station and the temp needle is at the top red line. I inspect the hoses and their all good, I tightened down the clamps some more of the hose I replaced. I slowly open the rad cap and release some pressure. I fill the rad again with water and AF. While I wait for the engine to cool down I start checking fuses, nothing is blown. Then I beging to suspect the relays or fan switch. Now my question is there a way you can check a relay. For example can I use my fuse tester to test the relay? I'm also thinking the fan switch or thermo switch whatever it's called is also not working. Where is the fan switch or thermo switch located? Any aftermarket fan switches available for our cars? Now I did search and found this thread. Anyways by this time it's 8:00 pm and I hit the road, No traffic on the FWY now and the engine is getting enough air to keep the coolant cool. I leave early in AM so traffic is not a issue but on the way home I'm going to have to kill some time before hitting the road. Anyone who offers SOLID advice and is not a jacka$$ will receive rep and points. Providing that I can rep you and I meet the conditions above.

aznboysrfr 06-21-2005 10:15 AM

um ... are you turbo'ed by any chance?

check:

-thermostat
-coolant levels
-headgasket

clownprince 06-21-2005 10:22 AM

my shit was overheating for a while, in stop and go traffic

turned out the coolant level was low, and that kept the fans from turning on. i had blown my upper radiator hose ever since i replaced it i've had no problems

my tip, do a complete coolant flush and refill the system.......fill it all the way, and then run the car for a little while with the radiator cap off to get all the bubbles out of the system, filling with coolant as needed. keep an eye on the temp too, but this is how I solved my problem. $10 hose and 20 min of filling the system.

TransformedBG 06-21-2005 11:30 AM

Damb geting the temp in the red aint good. you could have done a lot of things now. You enging isnt starting to do anything funny is it? just wondering. But check you thermostat its self, now it could be stuck open or closed. umm check fluid lvls, and triple check every hose there and like he said flush and fill your radiator. thats probably you best bet. As for the relay, just use a volt meeter check the ohms or uses a continuty testes *if the voltameter has it* and see if there a reading ot a beep. then apply power to it, see if it clicks and do the same to the other leads, that is about the only way i know how to test it.

MajinB 06-21-2005 05:20 PM

agreed, voltmeter can test it. find a wiring diagram for the car and you can find out if the electric line to the fans is broken. an easier way if to turn on the heat in your car. if the fan comes on then its fine, if it don't your fan motor might be burned out. or something could be stuck in the fans making them not spin. i'm assuming you checked though. people say run the air conditioning but that is stupid scince it makes your engine run a little higher rpm. the heater will displace the heat from the engine to the car. so try that. if it still don't work, you might have a blockage somewhere in your cooling system. you can let the car cool, open the radiator cap, then take the hose that leads from the radiator to the engine and disconnect it from the engine. drain the fluid from the radiator and connect a garden hose to the capside of the radiator, turn on the hose and see what comes out of the engine hose side that you disconnected. good luck. if you want to be really careful just take it to the dealership. again good luck.

tacheon 06-21-2005 07:20 PM

If your fan isn't comming on when your temperature gauge is past the half way mark, your coolant temperature sensor for the fan is likely dead. Unplug your coolant temperature sensor. Your fan should turn on. If your fan turns on, then you know your fuse, wiring, and relay is good. Therefore, the coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

tacheon 06-21-2005 07:20 PM

If your fan isn't comming on when your temperature gauge is past the half way mark, your coolant temperature sensor for the fan is likely dead. Start car, and unplug your coolant temperature sensor. *correction* Jumper terminals 1-2. If your fan turns on, then you know your fuse, wiring, and relay is good. Therefore, the coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

Whelan 06-21-2005 09:25 PM

I was about to say what techeon just said about the sensor. Try turning on your A/C because that kicks the fan on automatically cause it could even be the switch that turns it on.

Also give the thermostat a look because more often then not overheating problems are either from tank/hose ruptures or thermostats failing.

tacheon 06-21-2005 10:53 PM

Easy thermostat check to see if it is stuck closed (this easy test tells you nothing if it is stuck open). When the car is warmed up and the temperature gauge is at the half way mark or higher, feel the upper radiator hose. If it isn't really hot, then the thermostat is stuck closed. Replace the thermostat.

Ellocodetroit 06-22-2005 01:42 AM

OK the car has not overheated again and I was able to get the fans on by turning on the AC. I'll do all those system checks and flush the system this weekend. I'll rep and give you guys points. be patient I've been busy and I haven't had enough sleep. Thanks guys.

tacheon 06-22-2005 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ellocodetroit
OK the car has not overheated again and I was able to get the fans on by turning on the AC. I'll do all those system checks and flush the system this weekend. I'll rep and give you guys points. be patient I've been busy and I haven't had enough sleep. Thanks guys.

This tells you the fans, fuses, relays are good, but tells you nothing about the coolant temperature sensor and the state of the thermostat. The fans turn on when you turn on the a/c because this increases the efficency of the condensor. The coolant temperature sensor is what cycles your radiator fan on and off when it gets too hot. The thermostat on the other hand controls the flow of coolant through the top radiator hose.

Whelan 06-22-2005 10:25 PM

This is true, your electrical is good except for possibly the sensor, but woudlnt that throw a code tacheon?

The other thing is that I am surprised no coolant or temp warning lights came on unless they were not mentioned. But I would think that if a sensor went bad the Maintenance light would go on so you can plug it in and find out.

Also are you saying that the fans do not help out the temp? Just curious, I do know they help the condensor but I also thought they assisted in the cool down.

tacheon 06-23-2005 02:56 AM

The "sensor" is basically a 2-wire thermal switch. There is no code associated with the failure of this switch. When the switch fails, one of two things will happen. Either the fan doesn't come on, or the fans are stuck on. The fans do help out with the reduction of the temperature. However when the a/c is on, the condensor is also very hot due to the fact that it is removing heat from inside the car to the outside and causing the refrigerant to turn into a gas. In order for the a/c to continue to remove heat from the inside of the car, it must cool and condense the hot refrigerant at the condensor just in front of the radiator. The fans are used to speed this process up.

Whelan 06-24-2005 10:11 AM

Thanks for that bit of info man.

MajinB 06-24-2005 10:28 AM

tell us how you did. im curious to see if any of this helped you out. did you ever take it to the dealership?

Ellocodetroit 06-27-2005 12:14 AM

I flushed the system this weekend and everything seems fine. I'm going to replace the sensor and thermostat very soon just to be on the safe side. I'm thinking I was low on coolant and the fans never kicked on. I also checked the upper and lower hoses and both were about the same temp which would mean the thermostat is working or it is stuck open. I never took the car to the dealership. tacheon and Whelan are next for rep and points.

Ellocodetroit 06-27-2005 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Whelan
The other thing is that I am surprised no coolant or temp warning lights came on unless they were not mentioned. But I would think that if a sensor went bad the Maintenance light would go on so you can plug it in and find out.

You know I don't recall any check engine light or high temp light coming on. I just noticed the temp needle creeping up. The maintenance light was on for like a few days before this happened. I reset the light thinking it was reminding me to change my ATF or oil. I have 92,0000 miles on the vic and I think at 90,000 it's recommended to change the ATF.

MajinB 06-27-2005 12:23 AM

don't forget at 90k you need to change your timing belt. if you drive and your timing belt goes while on the road, your gonna need a new engine.

Ellocodetroit 06-27-2005 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by MajinB
don't forget at 90k you need to change your timing belt. if you drive and your timing belt goes while on the road, your gonna need a new engine.

Yikes! I think timing belt change just moved on the ish to do list on the vic. Thanks.

TransformedBG 06-27-2005 10:05 AM

Is it still overheating? or have we seemed to have solved the prob?

Ellocodetroit 06-28-2005 01:10 AM

I think we solved the problem. Honestly I believe I was low on coolant and that prevented the fans from turning on. With the flush and the new coolant it seems to be ok and I noticed my car is more responsive then before. After I change the timing belt and install my undrive pullies I'll purchase a new thermostat and fan switch. I'm going to do my research and see if there is a upgraded replaced parts. Unless of course the car overheats on me again I'll wait on the thermostat and fan switch. I've been keeping a close eye on the oil to see if my head gasket might have developed a leak. If it has I'll do a ex head swap. I can't afford a k series engine yet but the head swap I might be able to do.

Ellocodetroit 06-28-2005 01:12 AM

Oh yeah forgot to mention everyone who helped out should have received rep and points already. Thanks again guys.

MajinB 06-29-2005 10:39 PM

hey no prob. you were nice about it too. when you do an ex head swap don't forget to get an ex selenoid valve, cause thats what ex is about. without it the vtec won't kick in. and install your underdrive pulleys when you change the timing belt. good luck.