Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   Check engine light help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/213464-check-engine-light-help.html)

midnightblueEX 05-23-2005 02:17 PM

Check engine light help

Hey what is the check light that is right below the oil light? its kinda like the shape of the intake resonator... i really need to get a owners manual.. thanks guys

information 05-23-2005 02:24 PM

malfunction indicator

midnightblueEX 05-23-2005 02:32 PM

its running fine, i undid the battery and it went off... what do you think i should do? do i need to check a code?

chknmnky 05-23-2005 03:02 PM

have you changed out anything on the car?

chknmnky 05-23-2005 03:03 PM

When i swapped out my exhaust setup up, the o2 sensors weren't reading the output right. It took a few months for the engine to readjust and now it runs just fine. Everynow and then i see it but i pay it no mind. (....maybe thats not good.)

streetglower 05-23-2005 06:49 PM

Stop messing with your car, in the last few days you have been doing alot of that.

midnightblueEX 05-23-2005 07:14 PM

haha i just got it, have to mess with it a little bit, yea i did change something, i removed the resonator and got a plastic tube and made myself a homemade short ram..

JesterMasque 05-23-2005 07:32 PM

Did you start the car with the MAF sensor disconnected? Cause if you did then you have to go to AutoZone or Pep Boys and get your codes cleared. If you didn't start it, then I dunno...

midnightblueEX 05-23-2005 07:50 PM

im such a newb, um maf sensor? do you mean the iat sensor?

JesterMasque 05-23-2005 07:54 PM

It's the little plug that goes into your air filter box. Did you disconnect it at all and start your car?

streetglower 05-23-2005 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by JesterMasque
Did you start the car with the MAF sensor disconnected? Cause if you did then you have to go to AutoZone or Pep Boys and get your codes cleared. If you didn't start it, then I dunno...

our cars dont have a mass air flow sensor. We have a IAT sensor and a MAP sensor.

midnightblueEX 05-23-2005 08:29 PM

well the light went off when i disconnected the battery.. if it doesnt come back on, is this something i should worry about or get checked out?

midnightblueEX 05-23-2005 08:30 PM

:bump:

gearbox 05-23-2005 08:47 PM

ya its important. Buy a code reader or take it to an auto parts store so they can read the code.

JesterMasque 05-24-2005 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by streetglower
our cars dont have a mass air flow sensor. We have a IAT sensor and a MAP sensor.

Really? Which is the one on the air box? And what do MAP and IAT stand for? But yea, I forgot about the disconnecting the battery thing...

gearbox 05-24-2005 12:22 AM

MAP is a presure sensor. IAT is the one in the airbox and stands for intake air temperature.

JesterMasque 05-24-2005 12:24 AM

Oh ok. Where's the MAP at?

midnightblueEX 05-24-2005 12:24 AM

gearbox, i got one more quick question, Since i disconnected the battery and it went away.. if the light does not come back on, Does that mean i still should get it checked? Or anyone else who knows :cool:

JesterMasque 05-24-2005 12:26 AM

I know you didn't ask me but meh...
First you should re-check that none of the wires are loose on the harness double check the whole thing. Then redo the battery reset and if it still doesn't go away have it checked out.

midnightblueEX 05-24-2005 12:32 AM

yea its gone and i drove it for awhile and the light didnt come back on.. so should i still check it out? or am i cool because the light is gone.

JesterMasque 05-24-2005 12:40 AM

If the light doesn't come back on then don't worry about it.

Civic707Style 05-24-2005 01:06 AM

do yourself a favor, buy an OBD II reader and get the codes...and also don't make any homemade parts unless you actually know what your doing. Buy a short ram that's reputable, don't get some cheap ebay no-name part from God-knows-where. The OBD II reader will tell you what's up with your car and you can go from there. Tuning your car is like G.I. Joe: KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE! =)

JesterMasque 05-24-2005 01:15 AM

Hey now, I got an eBay tube on mine and it works great :P But I guess I got lucky cause it had the hole for the IAT sensor and everything (which I've heard most you have to drill your own). But how much is an OBD-II reader? Any place I can get a deal on one?

Civic707Style 05-24-2005 02:34 AM

you can buy an OBD II at any Kragen or Pep Boys. I bought mine for $60. Most places charge you a lot more than that to read it so you'll be saving yourself a lot of time and money. If your gonna tune, your gonna run into some check lights so this is well worth your money. Oh and the only reason I say don't buy a no-name intake from ebay is because, well, I did buy a no-name intake and it was a crap-shoot. Never again.

streetglower 05-24-2005 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by JesterMasque
Oh ok. Where's the MAP at?

the map sensor is located on the intake manifold.

streetglower 05-24-2005 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by midnightblueEX
gearbox, i got one more quick question, Since i disconnected the battery and it went away.. if the light does not come back on, Does that mean i still should get it checked? Or anyone else who knows :cool:

yes you still need to go get it checked. The code will still be stored in the PCM and if you do the diagnostics for it, it will tell you if you had a intermittent failure and now everything is fine, or if there is a problem.

crazyasian 05-25-2005 07:26 PM

hhahah speaking of leaving the IAT sensor off and starting the engine...that happened just todai. i was checking the tb heater bypass thingy that i did just in case the tubing were leaking coolant and totally forgot to reconnect the sensor which causeing to thro the cel. gonna head tommorrow to dealership to get it cleared and see if it isnt anything else. hopefully its covered under warranty..right?

absolut_vodka98 06-02-2005 08:29 AM

IS there anyway to reset the codes yourself or is there a reader that has this ability that is reasonably priced?

flotsamm 06-02-2005 10:03 AM

Make sure your gas cap is tight. If not it can cause a CEL.

DaddyFatSacks 06-02-2005 11:00 AM

tHE CODES ARE STILL IN THERE, THEY STAY TILL IT GETS CLEARED! Oops! Sorry about the caps.