Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   emblem shaving tragedy (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/157921-emblem-shaving-tragedy.html)

msbarrett 06-05-2004 05:57 PM

emblem shaving tragedy

:hithead:

alright so i've been looking into shaving my emblems for the past 2 months, read alot of diys so today was the day. i used the screwdriver rapped in a cloth method like this site suggests, so when i got a little into, the side of the driver tore threw the cloth a little bit scratching the the CIVIC emblem in a few places. i'm embarrased of it, or i would show you a pic.

so then on the EX badge, i used the floss/fishing line method to cut it off. that worked alot better and i recommend that over the screwdriver.
my question is...

the scratches are small, but down to the metal and i need to paint them asap. would it be better to get a touchup paint, or a chip mendor?
i've searched on www.handa-accessories.com and they have a paint pen for $8.

invasian 06-05-2004 06:25 PM

hehe...

hassoomi 06-05-2004 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by invasian
hehe...

way to make the guy feel better :shake:

just use the touch-up paint. it won't look perfect, but it'll be better than the rust that will start showing up. i don't think the touch-up pen will be THAT much better, so i don't think it's worth the money for something so small

msbarrett 06-05-2004 06:59 PM

should i go with a clearcoat also? or just touchup?

allmotor 06-05-2004 07:20 PM

i got a duplicolor satinsilver color pen and it didnt do shit to my scratch

abmerop18 06-05-2004 08:24 PM

i highly recommend the acura touchup pens they sell on ebay. they have them for the same color as the civic if you get SSM. the touch up pen is much better than the crap touch up brushed they sell at honda and the pen even has a clearcoat side to it too. i think they are only $9 or so on ebay.

VTECTypeR 06-05-2004 08:41 PM

LOL i did the same thing on my car but I didnt care cuz my trunk is Fcked up already so ya. But maybe you could just put the emblem back on

Farage 06-05-2004 09:09 PM

that sucks man. i actually shaved the civic and ex emblems last week. i used the fishing line method and it was real easy. then some wd40 to get the glue off and some mothers wax. i suggest you stay away from touch up paint. it looks horrible. my friend used it on his 2k3 accord and it looks like a marker was used. my suggestion is get some industry strength waxing compound and do the best you can. pics would help though. good luck.

twizzx 06-05-2004 11:07 PM

i say just live with it and let it go. But you should have waited for a hot day and used brute force and floss to get it off.

VTEC01EX 06-05-2004 11:16 PM

Yeah, I pulled on mine and it came off. I would say to get the jar of paint, but use a toothpick to apply instead of the brush. Add the paint slowly by using the point of the toothpick - it's a lot more accurate, and since you're using less paint you dont have the "globbing" effect of the brush or pen.

UltimateStock 06-05-2004 11:34 PM

hmm, interseting....i still don't know if i want to get the emblems off. i wouldn't mind though. hmm.....*pondering*

gearbox 06-05-2004 11:44 PM

Same thing happened to me when I shaved the sedan. I got some scratches, but mine were both on the bumper (so no rust worries).

IronFist 06-05-2004 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by invasian
hehe...

Jerk :tdown:

msbarrett 06-06-2004 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by UltimateStock
hmm, interseting....i still don't know if i want to get the emblems off. i wouldn't mind though. hmm.....*pondering*

definitely go the fishing line method. you cant go wrong really.. unless your car is always parked outside and the chance of color fade.
i ordered the pen so hopefully things go well.

thanks to everyone except invasion... :nono:

CapYoda 06-06-2004 07:50 AM

what the. i just used a credit card or something like that. is that thing stucked on so hard?

Xenin 06-06-2004 10:12 AM

in other news...i took off my 30th Anniversary decal...by hand.

msbarrett 06-06-2004 01:11 PM

today's great idea.... "now where can i just get a new trunk" of course i would want the same color, not carbon fiber or anything. is this possible? i've never heard of anyone ordering a trunk from the dealer, that is painted.

msbarrett 06-06-2004 01:12 PM

and another thing..... everyone talks about color matching the alteeza lips... so why cant i just do something like that? i've never messed with grills and dont know much about painting them

dusto12000 06-10-2004 09:30 AM

I used fishing line then goo-gone waxed her up looks perdy!!!

FALKEN 06-10-2004 09:37 AM

moved to the Tech Stuff forum

meanirsk 06-10-2004 09:41 AM

well if it was me i can not live with one scratch...my body shop charges me just o repaint the panel....$200 a panel they usually dont charge for body work b/c it is usually so small....my vic is an 02 and i have repainted the whole thing panel by panel some twice because of making scratches like this guy and because i CANT live wiat any scratches

msbarrett 06-10-2004 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by meanirsk
well if it was me i can not live with one scratch...my body shop charges me just o repaint the panel....$200 a panel they usually dont charge for body work b/c it is usually so small....my vic is an 02 and i have repainted the whole thing panel by panel some twice because of making scratches like this guy and because i CANT live wiat any scratches

no problems with color match?
they charge about 150 a panel here