Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Engine/IMA battery system (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/165-hybrid-engine-ima-battery-system)
-   -   Battery pack replacement (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/165-hybrid-engine-ima-battery-system/287073-battery-pack-replacement.html)

Gotham Dark Knight 04-19-2006 11:32 AM

Battery pack replacement

The battery pack is designed to last 10 years under normal driving conditions. (The battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty) Does anyone know the cost of replacing these battery packs? I mean 10 years is pretty good.... but what is the replacement cost on these things?...And 10 years from now are they going to offer a compatible battery?

MeerKat 05-03-2006 08:28 PM

Dont know yet. Since its going to be a long time until people will need replacements, i dont think Honda have even put these on the market yet.

Rokki 05-04-2006 10:09 AM

I've heard that they're expensive. Expensive enough to negate any savings on gas, especially when combined with the higher initial pricetag.

Gotham Dark Knight 05-04-2006 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rokki
I've heard that they're expensive. Expensive enough to negate any savings on gas, especially when combined with the higher initial pricetag.

How expensive?...Anyone know?...I am sure batteries will get better, but will they be backwards compatible?

TomH 05-10-2006 12:08 AM

As someone said, I dont think they are on the market yet.
Hybrids are far away from hitting their 10 year mark.

Backwards compatible? Not sure what you mean.
They will make batteries suitable to each model of car.

hotwheels 05-13-2006 04:03 PM

I don't know if the battery packs are available yet either. Although, they should be because there have been at least a couple of types of hybrids available for a copuple of years now.

Darth 05-30-2006 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by hotwheels
I don't know if the battery packs are available yet either. Although, they should be because there have been at least a couple of types of hybrids available for a copuple of years now.

Any word on this?
Has anyone actually had problems with their battery packs yet? I would be VERY surprised if you had.

hbryan 07-07-2006 11:40 AM

Just purchased a used 04 HCH

I asked the dealer, and he said $3800 to replace the battery pack. I don't know if thats across the line or just the 04. That is alot cheaper than what I have heard for some of the other hybrids ...like the ford escape.

Gourdhedd 08-20-2006 10:31 PM

$4,000 replacement cost is what the salesman told me. Also note that the warranty is 5year replacement and 3year pro-rata replacement. Hopefully the things last for 10 years. The question, when buying a used HCH will not be "Has the timing belt been replaced?". It will be, "Has the battery pack been replaced?".

Gary

mikef 08-21-2006 08:37 AM

extended warranty... just in case

Just to be safe:
I shopped around and bought a 120,000 mile warranty that covers the hydride battery, electronics, and so much more [excepting the catalytic converter] for $900, with a one-time transfer to the next owner [not for trade-in though].

The dealer where I bought the car wanted $2000 for one with less coverage, but Saccucci Honda in RI offers a variety of excellent deals [online] for very reasonable prices.

Mike Flaherty

jjtricket 08-28-2006 10:21 PM

Smart man, it will help when you sell it.

Darkk 09-01-2006 03:28 AM

10 years for a set of batteries is a LONG time and don't know if it's even realistic. I mean everytime it discharge and recharge it puts wear and tear on them. Eventually it'll quit holding a charge.

As more Hybrids are being sold prices on battery replacements should drop due to supply and demand.

Hopefully by then the battery technology would have evolved / improved to last longer and hold a charge better.

I still say fuel cells are the way to go but still too pricey for an average consumer.

Darkk

Wadely 09-26-2006 03:39 PM

Just To Let You Know The Ima Battery Itself With Out Installation Is $2700.00, Honda Has Been Making Hyrbids For Over 6 Years Now And Ive Only Ever Had To Replace One, It Was Covered Under Warranty However It Took Amaerican Honda Over A Month To Get The Battery To Us.

Nutcracker 09-14-2017 02:24 PM

want to disable IMA

2003 Civic Hybrid. Check Engine light has been on since we bought it this year. (it's why we could afford the car...) The code says the battery temp is too hot. We confirmed that the cooling fan in the trunk is working, so no quick-fix available there. Then we disabled the IMA (switch "off" behind passenger seat, unplug the passenger-side wire cluster which is behind the "do not open" panel) closed it all up tight. And unplugged the cooling fan in trunk. 2 days later, "check engine" still on. Gotta get this light out to get inspected... any help out there? We can live without the hybrid part of this car, if we can only get inspected! Although, the plan is to get inspected, then restore the IMA with it's troubled "heat" code...we don't wish to replace the battery pack, just want to get inspected and get down the road!:_doh:

DBill 08-16-2021 12:07 PM

Re: Battery pack replacement

Originally Posted by Gotham Dark Knight (Post 4112092)
The battery pack is designed to last 10 years under normal driving conditions. (The battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty) Does anyone know the cost of replacing these battery packs? I mean 10 years is pretty good.... but what is the replacement cost on these things?...And 10 years from now are they going to offer a compatible battery?

I have a 2003 HCH, bought used in 2012. Battery went out and Honda replaced in 2012 under warranty. It's started to drain faster but still going. Definitely have to turn off AC on hot days and when in stop and go traffic. Looking at replacing battery with Honda or manufactured
​​​​​​​ one.