Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/15-buy-sell-trade-archive)
-   -   Finding the ECU error codes (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/15-buy-sell-trade-archive/287009-finding-ecu-error-codes.html)

CG99 03-05-2006 06:43 PM

Finding the ECU error codes

This comes from my little Civic notebook on my PC too.
All this info I gathered some time ago, glad to put it to good use now!

Here is how you get the ECU to spit out its error codes-

Locate the ECU under the carpet in the passenger foot well.
Find the red LED in the center of the ECU.
Turn the ignition to ON. The red LED should flash once when this happens to indicate that the ECU has power.
If there are no further flashes then there are no error codes.
If there are further flashes then there are one or more error codes.

Darth 03-05-2006 06:56 PM

Thanks again for this great info.
Is this the same on all civic years and models, or just specific to one civic?

I imagine most of them are similar if not the same.

vargasr66 05-09-2006 11:20 PM

This is true for 85-91 civics i believe...92 on up are different..

TomH 05-09-2006 11:51 PM

How does one find the error codes on the newer cars?
Perhaps we need a sticky on this

Tayler 05-10-2006 01:32 PM

There is the paper clip check. Turn the ignition on and off 3 or four times and the cel should flash giving you the code(not sure if it works on civics but the neons i work on work like that).

anteater 05-10-2006 08:16 PM

To be honest I never check the codes.
How accurate are they in really diagnosing the problem?

Tayler 05-10-2006 09:41 PM

All they do is give you a close guess really. It will not pin point the error but will lead you in the right direction most of the time from my experience.

GT_1 05-11-2006 12:05 AM

Or the wrong one in my case sometimes :p
Sometimes something is wrong that sets off a code, but its something else wrong down the chain thats the real problem - makes it hard to find.

CG99 05-14-2006 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tayler
There is the paper clip check. Turn the ignition on and off 3 or four times and the cel should flash giving you the code(not sure if it works on civics but the neons i work on work like that).

Thats a quicker and probably easier to follow description than mine, thanks for that ;)

vargasr66 05-27-2006 01:15 AM

On 92-95 civic there are two plugs above the ecu (in a green soft plastic holder) the one with two pins can be jumpered with a paper clip or just a piece of wire with the engine running or stopped after the cel comes on. It will start to flash codes using the cel . one long flash followed by four short flashes is code 14. two long and one short is code 21, two short is code 2 and one long is code 10. that is how it is read by the flashes. once codes flash it will give all codes that it has at that time(separated by about 2 second intervals) then stop for about 4 second and the repeat all codes over and over until you remove the jumper.

fivespeed 05-27-2006 01:28 AM

I wonderd why this was called the paper clip test. God to know. I always tried to see how to get in the machine, yes the little computer does make mistakes but if they are tied into the rest of the car operation it might be a sympton of something else going wrong.

remember Murphy;'s law: a $600 computer circuit "brain" will blow its charge and burn out to protect a $15 fuse.

michaelbell 03-22-2010 05:33 PM

Re: Finding the ECU error codes

Originally Posted by fivespeed (Post 4113272)
I wonderd why this was called the paper clip test. God to know. I always tried to see how to get in the machine, yes the little computer does make mistakes but if they are tied into the rest of the car operation it might be a sympton of something else going wrong.

remember Murphy;'s law: a $600 computer circuit "brain" will blow its charge and burn out to protect a $15 fuse.

hay i've tried all of this and still nothing I don't have a an "led" on the ecm and the check engine light just stays on.
the problem Im have'n is no start. I have fuel weak spark and compression. Ive put in 2 different distributors and still no dice. all fuses are good battery is good , grounds ......WTF....... help...
Mike

craw76 05-27-2010 12:39 PM

can anyone help get my radio code please. had battery off and cant get it anywhere all i have is the serial no 30006922 is a y reg civic if anyone can help u can email me at craw76@googlemail.com

harrynow81 06-14-2010 08:34 PM

i think this is a bit different on later models. have a 95 civic which i got some years back and while using this step to check the error codes it did not show. finally had to show it to the mechanic for getting the proper work done. although overall a reliable car that week was a bit off as several things went off at the same time. hope it does not bother again.

beckyjerk 08-17-2010 09:17 PM

my car has had problems starting for a while. i have a '91 civic and it turns over, just doesn't start. the light blinks 4 times, then after blinks 8. does anyone know what error code this may be?

02civicsi02 08-17-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by beckyjerk (Post 4484567)
my car has had problems starting for a while. i have a '91 civic and it turns over, just doesn't start. the light blinks 4 times, then after blinks 8. does anyone know what error code this may be?

Just go get the code read at autozone or where ever.

beckyjerk 08-17-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02 (Post 4484569)
Just go get the code read at autozone or where ever.

it's free right?
forgive me if someone posted that it is in this thread before.:_please:

02civicsi02 08-17-2010 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by beckyjerk (Post 4484581)
it's free right?
forgive me if someone posted that it is in this thread before.:_please:

Ya its free.