Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Check engine light on after spark plug replacement (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/373555-check-engine-light-after-spark-plug-replacement.html)

ycastro16 06-13-2018 09:31 PM

Check engine light on after spark plug replacement

I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex Coupe. After having one plug blow out I replaced all 4 of them myself. I am 100% certain that I used the right parts. Immediately after replacing the plugs I start my engine. It starts up just fine and even drives/accelerates/brakes normally at first. I enter the highway and it sounds a tad robust but still, runs fine. Just 2 or 3 minutes in, feeling proud of myself, the dreaded check engine light comes on. The engine sounds like it’s misfiring here and there. Acceleration after a complete stop feels sketchy.

What are the possible causes of this (most likely to least likely)? Should I let my car sit overnight and check it tomorrow? I have already made an appt to see my mechanic and he will asses my diy replacement.

Wankenstein 06-14-2018 05:39 AM

Re: Check engine light on after spark plug replacement

Originally Posted by ycastro16 (Post 4746425)
I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex Coupe. After having one plug blow out I replaced all 4 of them myself. I am 100% certain that I used the right parts. Immediately after replacing the plugs I start my engine. It starts up just fine and even drives/accelerates/brakes normally at first. I enter the highway and it sounds a tad robust but still, runs fine. Just 2 or 3 minutes in, feeling proud of myself, the dreaded check engine light comes on. The engine sounds like it’s misfiring here and there. Acceleration after a complete stop feels sketchy.

What are the possible causes of this (most likely to least likely)? Should I let my car sit overnight and check it tomorrow? I have already made an appt to see my mechanic and he will asses my diy replacement.

What is the CEL code number?
Which brand and part number spark plugs did you install?

Did you check gap space on plugs (iridiums are pre-gapped)?
Did you tighten them (but not overtight) to a point where no compression is moving past spark plugs? There is a torque spec in the service manual.
Did you make sure the spark plug wires are all on tight?

justinakaparker 06-14-2018 07:41 AM

try changing your coils. usually u buy new plugs it puts stress on your old coils. mine did the same thing when the coils was 5 months old, every time i change plugs change coils same time.

ezone 06-14-2018 09:13 AM

CEL came on, so you read the fault codes, yes? What does the fault code tell you?

If it screwed up immediately after you worked on it, you need to recheck your work.
Plug gap wrong?
Cracked a plug?
Loose plug?
WRONG plugs? (what are you calling 'the right parts', anyway?)
Didn't get a plug plug wire pushed on?
Firing order incorrect (if you removed wires from the dist cap)?
Other?