Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Crankshaft Position Sensor/Relearn Procedure (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/370554-crankshaft-position-sensor-relearn-procedure.html)

redderm 06-29-2017 06:36 AM

Crankshaft Position Sensor/Relearn Procedure

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker, but first time poster... Please forgive me if this isn't exactly the correct area to post.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX with the 1.7L and the other day on my way home my car just died while coming to a stop sign and wouldn't restart (cranked over just fine though) until I pumped the gas while turning it over. The code was a P0335 I believe.

So I just finished installing a new crankshaft position sensor last night and my CEL went off and I took it for a drive and it didn't stall... All seemed well. However, there is still a noticeable loss of power/"lull" when shifting gears.

My question is, is it dangerous/harmful to drive my car before I take it in and have it hooked up to do the relearn procedure on it? Or am I pretty much just risking my fuel efficiency. I am taking it in on Friday, but I need to drive somewhere Friday morning and don't have much other choice than to use my car.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

ezone 06-29-2017 12:18 PM

Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor/Relearn Procedure

before I take it in and have it hooked up to do the relearn procedure on it?
There is no relearn for the CKP on that model. It's simple plug and play.

We do sometimes develop issues with terminals in the CKP connector that don't give great contact or get traces of corrosion. Double check?

However, there is still a noticeable loss of power/"lull" when shifting gears.
Get it to act up and read codes immediately without turning the engine off, see if any code set?

redderm 06-29-2017 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4726642)
There is no relearn for the CKP on that model. It's simple plug and play.

We do sometimes develop issues with terminals in the CKP connector that don't give great contact or get traces of corrosion. Double check?

Get it to act up and read codes immediately without turning the engine off, see if any code set?

Shoot.... Thanks for the reply, but taking it apart again was not something I really wanted to hear haha. I suppose it wasn't all that terrible, but it did take a good hour and a half or so to get things to the point of being able to remove the lower timing cover. But maybe I should just order a new plug/connector for it as well and wire that in assuming it's not too much of a hassle.

I am bringing it in tomorrow to my uncles shop and we will go on a ride along with the computer thing hooked up monitoring the engine. I just really wanted to make sure I wasn't risking any mechanical damage in doing so/driving it.

ezone 06-29-2017 12:49 PM

but taking it apart again was not something I really wanted to hear
Just unplug it and look (use a flashlight), no real teardown to unplug it

But maybe I should just order a new plug/connector for it
I'd want to make sure that's the problem first.

there is still a noticeable loss of power/"lull" when shifting gears.

I just really wanted to make sure I wasn't risking any mechanical damage in doing so/driving it.
What if it's something other than some weird CKP issue causing the complaint?

Can't really assess this until you know the true cause of the problem, but as long as it's full of good oil and coolant you probably can't hurt much mechanically--- except if it runs bad the cat could suffer damage......or if the timing belt lets go it will probably bend valves, that sort of thing....

Did you check the oil level?
Radiator level?

Backpressure, clogged cat? Intake restriction?

Millan_abel 08-13-2017 11:29 AM

2001honda Civic crankshaf position sensor circuit a performance range
From Millan_abel 16 Minutes Ago
Hi been having problems with my camshaft position sensor, I just ordered and replace the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor my OBD reads P0336 crankshaft position sensor "A" circuit performance range I just hot new and only the crankshaft code is coming out on the obd. I clean the area where the sensors go on the Block to make sure it's clean don't know what else to do any help?

ezone 08-13-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Millan_abel (Post 4729019)
2001honda Civic crankshaf position sensor circuit a performance range
From Millan_abel 16 Minutes Ago
Hi been having problems with my camshaft position sensor, I just ordered and replace the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor my OBD reads P0336 crankshaft position sensor "A" circuit performance range I just hot new and only the crankshaft code is coming out on the obd. I clean the area where the sensors go on the Block to make sure it's clean don't know what else to do any help?

As described in this thread, unplug the sensor and inspect the terminals of the harness connector for corrosion/oxidation evidence, and while it's apart inspect terminals for loss of spring tension.

Consider a defective new sensor.

Get a service manual, it has procedures for testing wiring between the sensor and the PCM. (test for 12v, 5v, and ground)

Millan_abel 08-13-2017 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4729022)
As described in this thread, unplug the sensor and inspect the terminals of the harness connector for corrosion/oxidation evidence, and while it's apart inspect terminals for loss of spring tension.

Consider a defective new sensor.

Get a service manual, it has procedures for testing wiring between the sensor and the PCM. (test for 12v, 5v, and ground)

So are you saying to get another crankshaft position sensor for it and to order a terminal of the harness connector?

ezone 08-13-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Millan_abel (Post 4729027)
So are you saying to get another crankshaft position sensor for it and to order a terminal of the harness connector?

No...

Millan_abel 08-13-2017 03:34 PM

jst got done looking at the connector for crankshaft sensor it looks oily and when I try to remove the connector there is spring tension when unplugging it

ezone 08-13-2017 04:42 PM

http:/ how-to-perform-a-drag-test

Millan_abel 08-19-2017 04:43 PM

How you doing boy I'm still having a problem with the crank shaft sensor? I replace the old terminal with a new one and the p0335 code is still coming on any tips on the next step?

ezone 08-19-2017 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4729022)

honda.lioness 09-22-2017 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4729034)

The above site was very helpful. During a timing belt change last week, I broke the bracket for my crank position (CKP) sensor. The absence of the CKP sensor threw code p0335 and caused my Civic to start with difficulty. I installed a secondhand crank position sensor yesterday. After installing the crank position sensor, my 2003 Civic still started only with difficulty and still had a check engine light. This was despite resetting the engine computer. I thought about it overnight, then checked the CKP sensor connector outside the lower timing belt cover per the "drag test" steps in the article linked above. The CKP connector seemed okay. I thought, "Maybe I messed up something else." It turns out I did. I went to Autozone to get the code read. Now the code was p0340, for the cam position sensor. I checked the cam position sensor connector, also per the steps in the article linked above. It did not seem snug, but nothing I could do seemed to fix it. I took the steps needed to remove the camshaft position sensor. That is, remove enough to lift the valve cover half an inch or so. Unbolt and set aside the upper timing belt cover. Remove the one bolt holding the camshaft position sensor in place. Upon inspection of the camshaft position sensor, i found that one of the (male) connector pins on the sensor was bent. I straightened the pin with a small screwdriver, checked that the connector now fit snugly, re-installed all, reset the computer, and cleared the CEL. (I double checked the connector pins with a small mirror.) My Civic is now starting and running perfectly, no CEL.

ezone 09-23-2017 12:07 AM

Upon inspection of the camshaft position sensor, i found that one of the (male) connector pins on the sensor was bent. I straightened the pin with a small screwdriver, checked
Good save!