Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Car wont start please help!!!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/368622-car-wont-start-please-help.html)

josephestrella8 10-24-2016 01:16 PM

Car wont start please help!!!!!

Hello there my name is joey and i have a 1993 honda civic dx four door sedan 16 valve, 1.5 liter engine. car is currently having issues. when it first started it was while i was driving, as i was pressing on the gas pedal my car all of a sudden started to decelerate no matter how hard i pressed on the gas. then once i was to a complete stop i died just cut off. i tried to start it again but it wouldnt start. it sounds like its turning over so i dont think its my starter or anything like that. but its almost as if there was no fuel getting to the engine. i left it sitting for a couple days and then went back and it started and ran fine driving to my house. but since then has done the same thing two more times. a friend of mine suggested the fuel filter since it works after it sits for a couple days, so i replaced the fuel filter and yet its still having the same problem. can anyone please help me out and give a some suggestions on what it could be? PLEASE!!!! i need my car up and running like yesterday. haha. but anyways i was doing some research and i came to the conclusion that it could be my fuel pump (is there a way you can check if the fuel pump is working?), my fuel injectors (is there a way i can check those, and if thats the problem should i replace or just get some fuel injector cleaner?), or my main relay/fuel relay?? which is located under the steering wheel by the other fuses right?? and howcan i check if those are still good??? any and all information would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks for your time http://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsmile.gif

ezone 10-24-2016 07:40 PM

Re: Car wont start please help!!!!!

If you really want to figure this out with any degree of accuracy, you need to make observations and do testing WHILE it will not start.

If you want to make wildass guesses, that's easy. We can do that all day long, and we can guess until you run out of money.

Got fault codes? What are they?
Erase the codes, then run it until it dies and see if you have the same codes reset after it dies again.

How many miles on the car/engine?

How long does it run before it stalls? (length of time)
Does it run again after the engine is cooled off?

When it loses all power but is still rolling along, what do you see on the dash? Warning lights on? Tach needle shows correct RPM, or does it show zero?

After you come to a halt, see what the engine is missing: Is spark present? Is fuel present?

josephestrella8 10-25-2016 12:04 AM

The car has roughly around 170-180,000 miles. Im the second owner and the original owner was my mother and only drove it to and from work. As far as codes go doesnt the check engine light have to come on for me to be able to scan it?? As far as duration of time that it runs, since it first started doing it, it will be good for a day max two days and then it would die. I found that leaving it sitting for 2 to 3 days generally made it to where It will start again. Except for this last time it took about a week for me to be able to get it started. (I stopped by my car every other day) also as far as lights on the dash go I cant remember anything being lit except for this last time it died. For a little bit my battery and oil light came on (but not my check engine light) ive been watching a lot of YouTube videos and from what I saw I think it may be the main relay which is behind the glove box and I think that effects the electrical part of the fuel pump or something like that

engine light) ive been watching a lot of YouTube videos and it seems like their leaning towards the main relay which is behind the glove box

josephestrella8 10-25-2016 12:05 AM

Dont mind the bottom little paragraph. Accident, my phone glitched out lol

ezone 10-25-2016 12:22 AM

2 days or so between events?...Totally random then?
Nothing to do with engine temperature, time after startup, cabin temperature, etc?

Meh, the PGMFI main relay sounds like it's probably a good bet.
It controls the fuel pump AND supplies a power feed to the ECM through two separate internal relays.
If the CEL does not come on after the stall (and while it won't run), I'd suspect the ECM may have lost that power feed from the main relay.

If you key it up and the CEL does come on I bet that's the sign the engine is going to run.

=======================================

You can't "scan" a 93 at autozone for codes, it is not OBD2. The car would take a much older scanner and OBD1 adapter to read datastream, or you have to use the SCS jumper and count blinks to get a code number.

I would check for codes regardless of warning light or not. (Does the CEL work at all, or has it burned out?)
Note codes.
Erase memory and see if new or same codes return.

Knowing when the memory was last erased may help later on if something DOES cause codes, you (hopefully) won't have stray old leftover codes to mislead you.