Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   not starting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/366391-not-starting.html)

Kerry Emerson 01-16-2016 07:36 PM

not starting

Hello I have a 1990 Honda Accord sorry not civic
with a 4cyl motor I have checked the fuel pump and it works I have checked each spark plug each one sparks nice I have checked the fuel rail where the fuel comes in and the other end where you connect the fuel pressure gauge and its got fuel I have checked the fuel injectors and have the proper resistence

now my question is after cranking the engine over a lot and not starting I pulled the plugs out and they are dry not even smelling like gas

what is the problem

ezone 01-16-2016 09:10 PM

Re: not starting

what is the problem
Not enough fuel is getting in the engine to run?
Verify "lack of fuel" by briefly spraying flammable aerosol carb and choke cleaner into the throttle body while someone is cranking the engine.
If it fires on carb spray, that confirms a fueling problem of some sort, confirms spark is ok and compression is at least good enough to run.

How did you check the fuel pump?
How much fuel pressure does it have at the injector rail?

Do the injectors receive 12v power from the main relay, and a ground pulse from the computer during cranking?
Can the injectors click and pass fuel through? (not stuck closed)
When you turn the key on, does the check engine light illuminate for several seconds?
Got any fault codes in the computer?

Kerry Emerson 01-17-2016 12:02 AM

Hello
Ok that's a lot of questions lol
Spark is good
Compression is 100 on all 4cyls
The only way I myself can check the pump is turn the key on and after losning the fuel hose on the fuel rail it is just pumping fuel out and on the other end fuel comes out as well
There is 12v coming to the injectors when key is turned on
And a ground
Don't know about the injectors passing fuel through ? I don't think they are because the plugs are dry

The check engine light does come on but just the normal time limit

And I do t have a code reader so I really don't know what else to do
I am going to try and spray some flammable stuff in the intake tomorrow

ezone 01-17-2016 07:50 PM

There is 12v coming to the injectors when key is turned on

And a ground
And a ground, how?

The ECM triggers the injectors on and off by pulsing ground.

A small test light (NOID light) should flash while you are cranking the engine-- if the 12v is present and the ECM is pulsing the ground to operate the injector.

ezone 01-17-2016 07:53 PM

Oh yeah, 100 psi would be very low compression to me, but some testers aren't real accurate and different people do the test differently.
Using my own compression tester and using my methods I usually expect 180 PSI or higher.