Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission)
-   -   Shifting Problem 2001 civic DX (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/332-transmission/363275-shifting-problem-2001-civic-dx.html)

vdubbin95 03-26-2015 02:47 AM

Shifting Problem 2001 civic DX

My vehicle has had this shifting problem for about a year now. It seems to not want to engage into the first couple gears (like there is something stopping it) then when i re-engage the gear again it goes it fine. It is always like this. it wont go in the first try but on the second try it goes in fine. There is not grinding gears or clutch slipping. the last week it has been engaging on the first throw but randomly will start doing it again.... Any ideas? I was thinking linkage. Oh and when i engage the gears, my shifter has a bad squeak.

Yes i have tried to find this problem on the forums but I cannot find a person with the similar problem. Thank you for your input!

Reverb2005 03-26-2015 02:52 PM

Re: Shifting Problem 2001 civic DX

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? If never, do it now! Probably not a synchro problem since you are not hearing any grinding, just sounds like you are not able to move the selector off the neutral position past the synchros.

Could just be extra friction on the neutral gear.... get some new fluid in there if it's old.

vdubbin95 03-27-2015 12:48 AM

I changed it last fall when it first started having the problem. This is the weird thing, everytime i jack my vehicle up or put it on a lift and put it back onto the ground, it shifts like its brand new. After a few hours of driving, it goes back to the not being able to go into gear the first time.

vdubbin95 03-27-2015 04:15 AM

Shifting Problem 2001 civic DX

my vehicle has had this shifting problem for about a year now. It seems to not want to engage into the first couple gears (like there is something stopping it) then when i re-engage the gear again it goes it fine. It is always like this. it wont go in the first try but on the second try it goes in fine. There is not grinding gears or clutch slipping. the last week it has been engaging on the first throw but randomly will start doing it again.... Any ideas? I was thinking linkage. Oh and when i engage the gears, my shifter has a bad squeak.
Also when i lift my vehicle and set it back down, it drives perfect for about a couple hours and then starts acting up again

Yes i have tried to find this problem on the forums but I cannot find a person with the similar problem. Thank you for your input!

ezone 03-28-2015 07:26 PM

Sounds like what manual transmissions do when they have wear on the gear (synchro) teeth.

If it doesn't drop into first gear on the first try, stick it into 2nd and then retry 1st gear.
If no, then try a different gear and retry 1st again.

Or put it in neutral, let the clutch up and push it down again, retry 1st gear.

Or put slight pressure on the shifter as you slightly lift up the clutch pedal JUST enough to let the lever move easily to the gear. You don't let the pedal up like to take off from a stop, you only need the input shaft to rotate a "smidgeon".

The idea is to get the shafts and gears to rotate to new positions in attempt to get gear teeth into a different alignment. They usually only need to move less than the width of a half a gear tooth to obtain smooth engagement.

vdubbin95 04-01-2015 02:30 AM

it always works when i try the second time. hopefully it isnt the tranny... i want to sell this thing! it hasnt been acting up as much as when the snow was here though!