Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   So what are the basics for non mechanics? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/354626-so-what-basics-non-mechanics.html)

tuttle300 03-21-2013 11:31 AM

So what are the basics for non mechanics?

So down below I had a bump in the road and needed a solenoid for my car and now I'm out 400 bucks but I have the car back

Still.....the wife is giving me grief about taking the car to a handful of different local repair shops and I had to explain about:

The fact that I have no mechanical know how to do such things on my own VS the fact that there was a repair shop in walking distance who I have used before and trust despite the cost

The need to have the car back in a timely manner for work VS doing homework with several other places who might be a few bucks cheaper VS if I do find a place they will be a farther distance away or even have shorter hours or not even be open on weekends etc

I also explained to her its an older model Honda ( 99) and the farther away you go past 140,000 miles the more your chances of other things eventually breaking down at the worst possible times

Now, MY questions:
Is it possible to buy the parts and ask the repair shop to install the parts?

Also do repair shops accept payment plans?

And is it cheaper to find a good mom and pop repair shop instead of going to a name brand place?

So if anyone wants to jump in and answer this feel free but remember she wil be reading this so.... be gentle

GolNat 03-21-2013 12:22 PM

Re: So what are the basics for non mechanics?

1.) Some shops will instal parts that you supply, others will not. There a a few shops around me that will take parts others won't. A particular shop will only install OEM supplied parts. It's the shops choice.

2.) some shops might I don't know any that do.

3.) most of the time you get what you pay for. People don't like going to the "stealership" because of the cost but you are paying for the knowledge that they have about your specific manufacture and OEM parts. To me, that's priceless. There are mom and pop stores that are just as good you just need to find one. Ask around, check reviews, see what kind of parts they use (OEM) or autozone specials.

I understand where your coming from. I am going to e needing a clutch soon and I want to try it myself but I can't not have my car if something goes wrong or I can't finish it. A local shop quoted me 325 to do it. Now to me that is not a bad price and probably not worth my time and frustration. It will save my wife from having to here me complain when something doesn't come off. But I do enjoy the pride I get out of doing the work myself so I have been contemplating doing it myself. If I get all the tools and parts and plan everything out I should be good.