Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   07 Civic Hard/no start (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/352471-07-civic-hard-no-start.html)

txaicivic 11-04-2012 07:02 PM

07 Civic Hard/no start

I've got a 07 civic non SI, automatic w/ 100,000 miles.

I've had it for about 6 months now. Never an issue, but lately its been having hard start to no start issues. A few weeks ago it wasn't starting at all. When starting you would hear the engine trying to start and slowly die out. Figured I'd start by replacing the battery and when I did, it started up immediately. THEN, 4 days later its doing the same thing again, I figured that maybe it was the alternator starting to go bad, as alternators sometime will work n not work when they are going bad. I drive the car 30mins to work everyday so if the alternator didn't work at all, there is no way I would of made it back an forth for 4 days. Well, I replaced the alternator and went to jump the car and same problem. Hard start, sounds like it wants to start then just slowly dies out. I decided to push the gas pedal all they way down to cut the fuel off and it started immediately. Shut off the car right away, toke the jumper cables off and still vroom it started right away. I figured that there is no way the car would start repeatedly if there was no battery power and with it being jumped and running for less then 30secs.

I figure I may have more of a problem then just battery related. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should replace or look at. Plugs, fuel pump?? Or has anyone run into this issue themselves?? Very frustrating so any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

ezone 11-04-2012 07:21 PM

Re: 07 Civic Hard/no start

How does the engine run once it is running?
Low on power?
Check engine light on?

txaicivic 11-04-2012 07:26 PM

Once it starts, it runs as if there is nothing wrong. No check engine light, no hesitation, no idle problems, no acceleration issues, runs as if there is no problem at any speed, city or hwy. I'm just lost, just don't want it to die some where, I've been lucky and both times it has been in my garage.

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4623127)
How does the engine run once it is running?
Low on power?
Check engine light on?

ezone 11-04-2012 07:46 PM

Have you compared it to another 8th gen Si?
Probably would be good to drive another identical car so one can compare acceleration rates and power.

Got access to a scanner that will give engine data? See what the coolant temp sensor says after sitting overnight (ECT1). If it is not darn close to ambient temperature after sitting all night, that's a problem. (ECT1, ECT2, and IAT should all read within a couple of degree of each other at that time.)

If you can find an identical car to compare with, see what its datalist looks like.

Only since this tank of gas? Bad batch of fuel at the gas station?

txaicivic 11-04-2012 07:58 PM

I don't have access to a scanner. And I don't think its a bad tank of gas as it still starts and doesn't run rough after starting. I also gas my Accord at the same gas station and it has no problems.

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4623134)
Have you compared it to another 8th gen Si?
Probably would be good to drive another identical car so one can compare acceleration rates and power.

Got access to a scanner that will give engine data? See what the coolant temp sensor says after sitting overnight (ECT1). If it is not darn close to ambient temperature after sitting all night, that's a problem. (ECT1, ECT2, and IAT should all read within a couple of degree of each other at that time.)

If you can find an identical car to compare with, see what its datalist looks like.

Only since this tank of gas? Bad batch of fuel at the gas station?

ezone 11-04-2012 08:31 PM

Well, the fact that you can floor the gas pedal and get it to start tells me that it is either flooding or overfueling for SOME reason, or it can't burn the fuel it DOES get.

Si gets high octane fuel....You aren't putting high octane gas in an Accord, are you?
2 separate underground tanks at the station. One could have problems. Yes, possible.

Assuming is really does run like an Si should once it does run, a scanner is my first tool to grab. A wealth of information is available to someone with the right equipment and smarts. It could eliminate a crapton of expensive guesses, or lead to a completely different direction without ever leaving the drivers seat. (I'm lazy, I like doing as much as I can without getting out of the car.)

Next might be some fuel pressure checks, if it drops residual pressure that might indicate a leaking injector or something.

Too hard to guess from here. Not really a common complaint for me to see here.

This isn't about starter and cranking speed, correct?

Hard start checks:
Codes and data,
Fuel pressure;
spark plug condition
weak spark
battery condition
low compression
intake air leaks
fuel contamination

txaicivic 11-04-2012 09:09 PM

My civic's a non si. 07 civic lx.

I haven't checked the spark plugs yet, but am going to do that tomorrow and hope that will solve the problem.

As for the scanner part, will it still pull something even if I don't have a check engine light on? Or this scanner must be some kind that is able to do a system check?

And no, not starter or cranking speed.

That scanner, is that something only the dealer going to have?

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4623141)
Well, the fact that you can floor the gas pedal and get it to start tells me that it is either flooding or overfueling for SOME reason, or it can't burn the fuel it DOES get.

Si gets high octane fuel....You aren't putting high octane gas in an Accord, are you?
2 separate underground tanks at the station. One could have problems. Yes, possible.

Assuming is really does run like an Si should once it does run, a scanner is my first tool to grab. A wealth of information is available to someone with the right equipment and smarts. It could eliminate a crapton of expensive guesses, or lead to a completely different direction without ever leaving the drivers seat. (I'm lazy, I like doing as much as I can without getting out of the car.)

Next might be some fuel pressure checks, if it drops residual pressure that might indicate a leaking injector or something.

Too hard to guess from here. Not really a common complaint for me to see here.

This isn't about starter and cranking speed, correct?

Hard start checks:
Codes and data,
Fuel pressure;
spark plug condition
weak spark
battery condition
low compression
intake air leaks
fuel contamination

ezone 11-04-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by txaicivic (Post 4623145)
My civic's a non si. 07 civic lx.

Well, I can't read then.
Just mentioning SI made me ignore the word "non" (in the first post).

As for the scanner part, will it still pull something even if I don't have a check engine light on? Or this scanner must be some kind that is able to do a system check?
Some codes and their information can remain in memory quite a while after a CEL goes out on its own.
Some codes don't even have to turn on the CEL, so the driver would never know there was an issue.

There is FAR more data available from these computers than just codes.

Skewed data doesn't always cause codes to set-- if the data is still plausible and within known ranges.

That scanner, is that something only the dealer going to have?
A GOOD aftermarket scanner should have sufficient info available to a tech that is smart enough to use it. They vary a lot (mostly dependent on prices), and I have factory HDS scanner software available to me so I don't use aftermarket.
Factory scanner has the best/most info/data.

txaicivic 11-04-2012 09:59 PM

LOL its cool on the SI thing.

But sounds good, looks like I'll look into some scanner and see if its in my budget. I'm sure there a few hundred. If not I'll see what the dealer can do. Thanks again for the info.

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4623148)
Well, I can't read then.
Just mentioning SI made me ignore the word "non" (in the first post).

Some codes and their information can remain in memory quite a while after a CEL goes out on its own.
Some codes don't even have to turn on the CEL, so the driver would never know there was an issue.

There is FAR more data available from these computers than just codes.

Skewed data doesn't always cause codes to set-- if the data is still plausible and within known ranges.

A GOOD aftermarket scanner should have sufficient info available to a tech that is smart enough to use it. They vary a lot (mostly dependent on prices), and I have factory HDS scanner software available to me so I don't use aftermarket.
Factory scanner has the best/most info/data.

DieMaster 11-04-2012 11:04 PM

im starting to have this problem too. 08 Civic EX Coupe 5spd M/T w/ ~110,000mi.

i turn the key all the way to start then press the clutch petal. i figure if theres excess current/ sparking going to the starter solonoid, it's better to replace a $10 starter relay then a $100 ignition switch.

i have no battery issues. i got the car 2 years ago from a dealership and at that time i requested a new battery. i know it's not the starter b.c headlights on they nor other lights dont dim. it's as if you just disconnected the starter. i also drive about 30 mins to work evreyday. ive knoticed my map lightsslightly flickering at idle but not on the freeway.

luckly mines a M/T so im not too woried. just push start it if i cant get it to work.

04 Honda Civic 11-06-2012 12:36 AM

Why not get the battery and alternator tested to rule them out.

Then if that checks out see what your fuel pressure is like at startup.

txaicivic 11-07-2012 11:32 AM

Replaced both Battery and Starter, because I thought that may be the problem. Car's been sitting for 4 days now and all electric components still work fine. If it was a battery or alternator, my lights would be dim, no interiror lights would work. Gonna pull the starter and get it tested n go from there.

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic (Post 4623288)
Why not get the battery and alternator tested to rule them out.

Then if that checks out see what your fuel pressure is like at startup.

ezone 11-07-2012 12:31 PM

You said this earlier:

Originally Posted by txaicivic (Post 4623145)
And no, not starter or cranking speed.

And now you have done ALL THIS?

Originally Posted by txaicivic (Post 4623385)
Replaced both Battery and Starter, because I thought that may be the problem. Car's been sitting for 4 days now and all electric components still work fine. If it was a battery or alternator, my lights would be dim, no interiror lights would work. Gonna pull the starter and get it tested n go from there.

You are seriously barking up the wrong tree.

Hard start, sounds like it wants to start then just slowly dies out. I decided to push the gas pedal all they way down to cut the fuel off and it started immediately.
This statement is why I said what I just said.

04 Honda Civic 11-07-2012 08:42 PM

If the starter engages and spins, unless you have a bad wire causing it to spin slow thats not your problem. (I doubt it)
You are just wasting your time with pulling the starter.

Check fuel pressure.