Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Long Distance Travel (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/352334-long-distance-travel.html)

Krimson 10-29-2012 08:10 AM

Long Distance Travel

Hey, first time poster here, been reading for a while though.
I bought my civic about a year and a half ago but since this time I have been given a company car every summer for 4 months, so the car sits in storage. Now the car has just come out of sitting for about 3-4 months and I am looking to do a road trip next week of 4000km. I brought the car into maintenance while I am away for a few days to have an oil change done and asked them to recommend anything else that should be done before my trip. It (of course) came back more expensive than I thought it would be, and was wondering what people think is recommended to have fixed for this trip. I will also be using the car every day moving forward as I will not get company cars with my new work. This is the email I received, the move will already be costing me a lot so I am not looking to spend a fortune on repairs, but it would be even worse to get stuck in middle of nowhere on the way. What do you think?
Any other advise on long trips like this?
Thanks.

The condition of your brake pads life is in good condition so does not need replacement however, the technician noticed that both front and rear brake discs have a lot of rust build up which is starting to lead into uneven wear on the front and rear brake pads. The front brake rotors show a significant amount of rust. We would like to save and extend the life of the brake pads by

- replacing the front brake rotors $499.95 plus tax
- resurface the rear brake rotors $229.95 plus tax
- clean and lubricate all the brake pads (included in the service costs above)

Doing this will also save you from spending more money of a complete brake replacement. As of now, the front brake pads life are 80% and rear brake pads are 65%. When it reaches 20%, then we would recommend to replace your brakes.

The technician also noticed the condition of all your vehicle's fluids - brake, tranmission, power steering and clutch fluids - are discolored and has recommended to perform a flush and replacement of each one. We have a fluid performance package service that includes all fluid replacements mentioned above at a discounted price of $289.95 plus tax (savings of $86.78).

The last recommendation is based on a 4-wheel alignment that is recommended every 1 year or 24,000KMS (whichever occurs first).

Westley 10-29-2012 08:44 AM

Re: Long Distance Travel

I agree with the technicians. Replacing your rotors and cleaning the pads would be a good idea. However, you can do it for so much cheaper. If you can do the work yourself or ask a friend for help you can get the parts for around $150 or cheaper at a parts store. Thats what I would do.

TiggerDX 10-29-2012 11:48 AM

Well, let's put it this way, you local parts store probably charges $10-$15 USD to resurface rotors. That should give you an idea of how much they are over charging for their services. (on the high end, a dealer charges $105 for a new front rotor replacement)
The rust will be removed the first time you drive it.
If the rust is causing uneven wearing of the brake pads, I would resurface the rotors and see if the pads flatten back out.
Fluid flush price is probably about right for all the fluids if they need replacing. make sure they don't flush the tranny, just do a drain, replace, drive, drain replace, drive drain and replace. (3 times)

axis11 10-29-2012 02:37 PM

Engine oil change is all you need. Discoloration of fluids is not an immediate concern. Just make sure the levels are correct. Rust on rotors/drums in contact with the pads will be removed once you start using the brakes. If the rotors are still thick and not warped, no need change them. Check the allignment yourself. If the car drives straight with no unusual vibration, skip the allignment. For long drives, make sure the tires, suspension components, electrical system is good.

raymondxcho 10-29-2012 05:53 PM

I say your technicians are trying to rip you off. What I would do for a long road trip would be to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, and check coolant levels. Make sure your tire pressure is good on all tires including your spare.

I didn't know rust comes off the rotors when you use them. Learned something new today. :)

But yeah, if your car has been driving fine all along and hasn't been acting weird or been giving you any problems, I would just do what I listed above. It's a Honda after all.

Krimson 10-29-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks for the input.
It's the local honda dealership which I brought the car to in case you're wondering.

They said it themselves, replace the rotors at 20% and mine are 80% and 65%. I don't see why they are recommending it.
The car doesn't pull, brakes work perfectly, and now with a new oil change, fluids topped off, and tire pressures adjusted I should be fine.

Hopefully I can start doing the work myself instead of getting ripped off every time I go in...

TiggerDX 10-29-2012 06:31 PM

They are referring to replacing the pads at 20%. Rotors get replaced when they are warped or too thin to legally resurface. That can vary from 20K to 80K miles depending on driving style.

TiggerDX 10-29-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by raymondxcho (Post 4622476)

I didn't know rust comes off the rotors when you use them. Learned something new today. :)

It will come off the contact surface area. Brake pads are very abrasive. That's what makes them work.

Next time you wash your car, watch the rotors. By the time you are done drying the car they will be rusted on the surface. By the time you pull it into the garage or parking spot, they will be clean again.

gearbox 10-30-2012 12:26 AM

lol so they recommend replacing $500 rotor to save $50 pad. just drive, the rust will grind off no problem.

civicpop 12-07-2012 09:18 AM

Just make sure the car's coolant fluid is good & the oil is not dirty and in need of a change. Properly inflated tire pressure and you should be good to go.