Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Can't get your Sparks out? Try this (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/351381-cant-get-your-sparks-out-try.html)

matthewGA 09-10-2012 10:53 AM

Can't get your Sparks out? Try this

This might sound basic but it just made my day. Last night I had to change out my sparks in a Walmart parking lot in Orlando because I was getting some high-RPM misfires on the way down (family Disney World vacation, it was time to drive home). I put in three Bosch Platinum sparks using the crappy Walmart tools but I couldn't get the fourth copper out. I thought it was stripped because every time I would turn it it just clicked and the socket didn't pull it up, so I just tightened it back in and ran it home with 3 platinum and 1 copper. All 450 miles home I had no misfires, but I was worried the whole time that that last spark must be stripped and what that would mean.

Anyway, I get home and tried again, same result. Then I stick my $1 magnetic telescoping grabber thingy (Biglots haha) in the cylinder and pull the spark right out! The junky Walmart deep-socket didn't have rubber or anything to grab the spark so it loosened it but didn't pick it up.

sl33pyriceboi 09-10-2012 01:05 PM

Re: Can't get your Sparks out? Try this

Originally Posted by matthewGA (Post 4616463)
The junky Walmart deep-socket didn't have rubber or anything to grab the spark so it loosened it but didn't pick it up.

or you could have just used the proper spark plug socket tool the first that has the rubber boot inside to grab ahold of the spark plug.... :lol:

but, sometimes the macgyver method works best.

matthewGA 09-10-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4616480)
or you could have just used the proper spark plug socket tool the first that has the rubber boot inside to grab ahold of the spark plug.... :lol:

but, sometimes the macgyver method works best.

Yeah, unfortunately the proper tool just wasn't available at Walmart, and auto stores weren't open at 11pm. The socket set I bought was $13 and had 5/8 and two other sizes and was explicitly labeled for spark plugs, yet didn't have this basic and essential piece of rubber ... go figure.

04 Honda Civic 09-10-2012 02:50 PM

Bosch have no place in a Honda.

Denso or NGK.

Just saying.

matthewGA 09-10-2012 02:52 PM

That's what I've always read as well, but it was this or "Autolite" and these didn't need to be gapped. They got me home. I was thinking about replacing them next paycheck with NGK from a proper auto store.

04 Honda Civic 09-10-2012 02:54 PM

No, I completely understand.. When your stuck 450 miles away from home you do what you got to do to get back. Just incase you didnt know I figured I mention it to you.

You can run them awhile to at least say you got your moneys worth. But I wouldnt plan on keeping them in there for another 100k miles.

Then again thats just me.

matthewGA 09-10-2012 04:25 PM

Ah, I gotcha. I'll put it on the lower-priority list :)