Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   A/T Drain and Fill? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/337672-t-drain-fill.html)

d16zoom 01-19-2011 10:33 AM

A/T Drain and Fill?

Hey guys, have a 1998 Civic Ex, d16y8, A/T. Its about 171k miles and to my knowledge it has never been flushed. I wanted to take it to get properly flushed, but that costs $90 which i just cant afford right now.

I called the Honda dealer to ask about drain and fill, because my transmission is slipping when changing gears, and he told me if it is already slipping not to flush it or drain/fill because it will make it worse. I dont really believe this because i just recently took a family friend's car and got it flushed properly because it wouldnt pop into reverse. it cleared up the problem and nothing has gone wrong.

Basically, i want to drain and fill. Drain it, refil, drive around. Was going to do that 3-4 times until its clear red. Is this a sound plan?

Edit: The reason why im not really buying what the Honda dealer said, is that i can tell my transmission has very low pressure. Im assuming the built in non-removable filter is clogged and/or there are a lot of contaminates.

d16zoom 01-19-2011 11:17 AM

Re: A/T Drain and Fill?

Just crawled under my car and it seems as if my transmission is leaking a lot of fluid. I had jsut driven it and its warm, there was a good 4x4 inch puddle of fluid as well as it being all over the underside of the transmission.

also, when im driving at times, the problem with slipping occurs when the engine is warm. there is a strong smell of oil or something burning as well at random times when it is warm. Im at a loss... ive read tons of threads but no conclusive answers to ths problem.

gearbox 01-19-2011 12:29 PM

if it slips when warm, start looking for a new tranny. its days are numbered. you can do a single drain and fill (any more and you risk complete failure), but i doubt it will help you since the friction material is nearly gone anyway. where exactly is it leaking, and is the fluid level low? check the level once the car has been driven for at least 30 mins and is hot and running. make sure its full. leaks typically come from the axle seal, the case (if its cracked), the dipstick if its loose, and possibly other areas.

d16zoom 01-19-2011 02:34 PM

Cant find any leak around the transmission, its all over the bottom, which tells me its coming from up top. dipstick does feel loose. I refilled it because it was low and it shifted perfectly, even warm, but i was pushing it really hard and once it got HOT it started to slip a little if i was barely pressing the throttle. if i pressed the throttle over 1/4 the way it would shift fine.

gearbox 01-19-2011 03:35 PM

try and order a new dipstick. i had a similar issue and there was fluid spilling everywhere. new dipstick put in and now it stays totally dry

d16zoom 01-19-2011 03:48 PM

will do. think this will keep the slipping to a minimum? so long as it stays full?

sdaidoji 01-19-2011 04:09 PM

try and see :) it's not a huge money part to try

gearbox 01-19-2011 06:44 PM

yeah low fluid can cause slipping, and usually filling back up helps out. but it seems like the trans is on its way out.