Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/330912-driver-side-door-problems-keyless-entry-not-working-window-appears-jammed.html)

ashu 08-08-2010 12:00 PM

driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

Hi,

My Honda Civic 2002 is having some issues related to driver side door. The doors doesn't get locked through keyless entry and I've to use the key to lock/unlock it. When standing near the driver side and activating the un/lock via remote,it seems that parking lights flash. Also, I'm finding it difficult to un/lock using the manual locking lever. The passenger side door is fine and I can use manual locking lever on it.

2. The next day after the lock/unlock issue happened, the driver side window started giving trouble while trying to roll up all the way. The window was rolling down perfectly but while rolling up, it appeared as if it is getting jammed somewhere. Then, after some time, it rolled all the way up.

Can someone advise if this is a lube issue as it has started happening on driver side door only? If someone has experienced the same symptoms before with their car, and the issue got resolved, please let me know.

And any idea on how much money I've to shell out to have this get fixed by a mechanic.

Thanks

lazlong 08-08-2010 12:49 PM

Re: driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

If it was just the lock I would say it was the lock actuator but, with it being the window too I would say it's the master switch in the driver's door. That is the one that usually goes first as it gets the most use and is exposed to the elements more.

Usually it's about $100/hr for electrical diagnosis plus flag hours plus parts. fyi- that switch is $150 new.

You could save yourself some money by buying the switch and putting it in yourself, it's only 1 screw.

ashu 08-08-2010 05:50 PM

Re: driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

Originally Posted by lazlong (Post 4482713)
If it was just the lock I would say it was the lock actuator but, with it being the window too I would say it's the master switch in the driver's door. That is the one that usually goes first as it gets the most use and is exposed to the elements more.

Usually it's about $100/hr for electrical diagnosis plus flag hours plus parts. fyi- that switch is $150 new.

You could save yourself some money by buying the switch and putting it in yourself, it's only 1 screw.

Thanks lazlong. Will you be able to advise on how to go about changing the master switch?

lazlong 08-08-2010 07:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Tools needed: 1-small phillips head screwdriver, 1- small flathead screwdriver

1. Pry up and remove this cover.
Attachment 105112

2. Remove screw.

3. Pry up on the front of the whole pocket and you should have this:
Attachment 105113

4. Remove the connector on the back of the pocket by squeezing this tab:
Attachment 105114

5. Remove and replace the switch:
Attachment 105115

You can find new here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ or used here: http://www.car-part.com/

ashu 08-08-2010 10:39 PM

Hi Lazlong,

Thx again for this fully descriptive DIY. I tried searching for the switch on hondaautomative parts but not able to. Will you be able to provide part# or complete product name by any chance.
Also, I'm able to control passenger side window or passenger window lock using the controls given on driver's side door. So, even then can the problem be with master switch? I was thinking as to how driver side's window and lock had issues but not when I use controls for passenger's side.

Thanks again.

CraigW 08-09-2010 06:59 AM

You could try cleaning the upper and lower track/rail that the window edges move in. Also make sure the rubber insert is in place and correct and not binding the glass.

As for the lock could be a bad actuator (make sure the drivers door is closed before trying to move lock knob) Also does the lock knob try to move any at all when working the power locks ?? ( L door closed) Any buzzing noises from L door when working the power locks ??

Kennykid2002 08-09-2010 11:32 AM

This is the same exact problem i've been having with my 03 EX Coupe
The door lock wouldnt work (would work after i left it alone for an hour or so)
so the alarm went retarded

I turned my alarm to valet mode, and replaced the actuator because i tested it, and it was blown
It was about a $42 replacement, not too bad, then the window went bad

To test this, i put a little pressure on the passenger side window, rolls up fine...
Then i put a little pressure on the drivers side window....and the motor kind of sputters and stops
So I'm guessing its another motor i'm going to have to replace....
I haven't got around to it yet...

@Ashu
Check when you use the electric door lock from the inside of the car, if you can actually hear the lock actuator click within the door panel
If it doesn't click, or sounds weak, you prolly have to replace the actuator

I wrote up a DIY in addition to the one that was posted on this website like 10 years ago :P

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-actuator.html

hope that helps

ashu 08-09-2010 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4482916)
You could try cleaning the upper and lower track/rail that the window edges move in. Also make sure the rubber insert is in place and correct and not binding the glass.

As for the lock could be a bad actuator (make sure the drivers door is closed before trying to move lock knob) Also does the lock knob try to move any at all when working the power locks ?? ( L door closed) Any buzzing noises from L door when working the power locks ??

Yeah...lock knob does move a tiny bit when I use lock button on driver side (l door closed). The passenger side lock functions smoothly at that time though.

lewal 08-10-2010 03:25 AM

I think the power door lock (actuator) for the driver side is known to fail in our civics 01-03. Sort of like the seat rocking issue due to poorly designed seats (bushings).

CraigW 08-10-2010 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ashu (Post 4483054)
Yeah...lock knob does move a tiny bit when I use lock button on driver side (l door closed). The passenger side lock functions smoothly at that time though.

Sure sounds like the actuator has failed, very common.