Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Boging and white smoke plzs help me (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/327694-boging-white-smoke-plzs-help-me.html)

UD_Rabbit 04-03-2010 08:05 PM

Boging and white smoke plzs help me

ok have a prob. been going on for months now and cant figure it out... this is what I got go so far.

I have a 98 honda civic with a D16y8 recently did a block swap on her about 8 months ago. When I start her up put her in drive and hit the gas she starts to bog like almost to the point where she wants to die and stop running but when she clears her throat it seems. A HUGE I mean HUGE cloud of white smoke shoots out the exhaust..... I recently did a basic tune with a new distrubutor cap, rotar, spark pulg wires and plugs and did a comression test on here and was 150 (good seal) on all 4 cyclnders with no small leaks and yes had the trottle open when testing. while removing the spark plugs i noticed on the #1 and #2 plugs there were brunt black with some black corruded crap on them #3 and #4 were white (these plugs were only 8 months old and 5 months of those 8 the car sat in storage for winter) but even when in (N) and idleing a decent amount of white smoke steadly comes out the exhasut as well as a steady drip of water and when i place my hand over the exhaust the vapor is extremely wet and after 10secs or so a decent size puddle of water forms under the exhaust.

If i let the car warm up to normal operating temp. she drives great and she dont really bog out on me and the white smoke that steadly comes out the back goes away........ :/

ATM i'm lost and dont know what else to look at or change... some advice and tips on what i should do next would be great..

Rabbit

laack 04-03-2010 10:57 PM

Re: Boging and white smoke plzs help me

Originally Posted by UD_Rabbit (Post 4464381)
ok have a prob. been going on for months now and cant figure it out... this is what I got go so far.

I have a 98 honda civic with a D16y8 recently did a block swap on her about 8 months ago. When I start her up put her in drive and hit the gas she starts to bog like almost to the point where she wants to die and stop running but when she clears her throat it seems. A HUGE I mean HUGE cloud of white smoke shoots out the exhaust..... I recently did a basic tune with a new distrubutor cap, rotar, spark pulg wires and plugs and did a comression test on here and was 150 (good seal) on all 4 cyclnders with no small leaks and yes had the trottle open when testing. while removing the spark plugs i noticed on the #1 and #2 plugs there were brunt black with some black corruded crap on them #3 and #4 were white (these plugs were only 8 months old and 5 months of those 8 the car sat in storage for winter) but even when in (N) and idleing a decent amount of white smoke steadly comes out the exhasut as well as a steady drip of water and when i place my hand over the exhaust the vapor is extremely wet and after 10secs or so a decent size puddle of water forms under the exhaust.

If i let the car warm up to normal operating temp. she drives great and she dont really bog out on me and the white smoke that steadly comes out the back goes away........ :/

ATM i'm lost and dont know what else to look at or change... some advice and tips on what i should do next would be great..

Rabbit

wow... you have a couple things to address here... first off, what kind of deposits are you finding on your plugs? are they black ones oily? (this would explain hesitation and low compression readings-leaking piston rings)is there a buildup of carbon that is mis-shaping the plug? does it look like the plugs are mechanically affected (melted/deformed). pictures might help your description.
-The white plugs- you likely have a blown head gasket. the white buildup on your plugs is coolant. that would also account for the excess water sputtering out of your tailpipe. I'm willing to bet that your coolant level is either low or in regular need of refilling. Watch the quality of oil too. Its very possible at this point that coolant is leaking into your oil. if your dipstick ever shows milky colored its a 100% guarantee you need to have it fixed. real damage can be done to your engine if not addressed. You might want to find a new mechanic if they replaced your head. you got screwed.
-compression- I'm hoping that you did the test with the engine cold because that would explain your low readings. if you did it with a warm engine (how it should be tested) then your compression test should be 180psi w/in 10% max variance between all cylinders. retest. this time after engine is warm-search the diy on here for complete directions. after first test of all cylinders (record psi) put about 1oz of oil down each spark plug tube before you retest it if you compression was 150range again. The oil will help seal any leaks in the piston ring. If your compression reading was significantly higher after adding oil, then you know your piston rings are leaking. :hithead:
-water out of tail pipe is normal when the engine first warms up. its a byproduct of combustion. once the exhaust system is hot though, usually it should only be present as vapor with minimal spray out the tailpipe. anything more than that is a sign of burning coolant.

disclaimer- i always let my engine cool before tightening my plugs back in. others may have a different opinion on it, but i still worry about heat expansion/contraction causing damage if my plugs are torqued while the engine is still warm. do as you see fit. time vs. paranoia

additional advice- verify that you have NGK or denso plugs. since you have plug damage, i would go with the copper v-power because of price. I prefer them for power/mpg (as minimal as it may be) over the platinum ones. platinum will give you longer change intervals, copper requires re-gaping/replacement.

1 more thing, i hate to be that guy, but please use spell check.