Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   My car leaks a gallon of oil per week. What's the cause? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/326399-my-car-leaks-gallon-oil-per-week-whats-cause.html)

Obamargarine 02-19-2010 05:06 PM

My car leaks a gallon of oil per week. What's the cause?

I've spent like $120 on oil refills in the last 2 months for my car, it's leaking like there's a hole in the engine. I think it started after I used that stupid Autozone gumout fuel system cleaner solution.
I took it to my local mechanic and he failed to fix it... twice.

Does anyone have ideas as far as how I should go about fixing it?
How much would a dealership charge for that? Or should I just try another mechanic?

Awjvail 02-19-2010 10:32 PM

Re: My car leaks a gallon of oil per week. What's the cause?

well have you looked underneath to see where it is leaking from?

lowlife9 02-19-2010 11:35 PM

could be a bad drain plug gaskit, loose filter bad oil pan or gaskit or somewhere else get under there and investigate.

gearbox 02-20-2010 10:49 AM

spray the engine down with carb cleaner and see if you can spot the leak. im not even sure how youre able to drive it because it sounds like oil is pouring out. but you need to find where its coming from.

Cal1316 02-20-2010 12:07 PM

Could be from the main seal.. but if its leaking that bad it sounds like you might have a crakc or hole in your oil pan.. i wouldnt drive it around at all until you know where it is coming from ha

civicpapi 02-20-2010 06:50 PM

Gumout has nothing to do with it unless you poured into your engine lol. Start by looking around, start from the top look at the valve gaskets, by the distributor, under it. Then go to the bottom, oil pan use a light if you have that much oil you will see wet oil. Check the obvious the oil drain plug, maybe the threads are stripped wrong sized bolt etc.

Boilermaker1 02-20-2010 09:05 PM

The only thing I can think of that would bleed oil that fast is a bad seal. Go under the car and just look for a massive amount of oil on one side of the oil pan or the other, you'll also see oil stains running most of the way back under the car.
Either seal is a pain in the ass, but if you're losing oil that fast, you gotta find it before you start losing bearings.

04 Honda Civic 02-21-2010 01:12 AM

If the leak is that bad it shouldnt be that hard to find..