Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Will Doing An Oil Change Help??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/324841-will-doing-oil-change-help.html)

Sebo_T 12-24-2009 10:42 PM

Will Doing An Oil Change Help???

I'm curious...If I did an oil change on my car(which already burn oil....would it burn less oil or would it be the same??..

BlueEM2 12-24-2009 10:44 PM

Re: Will Doing An Oil Change Help???

I'd change the oil any way, what year is your car and what oil are you using? It never hurts to get the old oil out of the car. That way all the old stuff you have been mixing is removed and you have new clean oil.

04 Honda Civic 12-24-2009 11:08 PM

No, if you use thicker oil it will slow it down a bit, but not much.

Sebo_T 12-24-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by tbohar (Post 4450043)
I'd change the oil any way, what year is your car and what oil are you using? It never hurts to get the old oil out of the car. That way all the old stuff you have been mixing is removed and you have new clean oil.

I'm using cheap oil, super tech, i believe, since i find it pointless to buy expensive if its just gonna burn it...and its a 94 DX

Sebo_T 12-24-2009 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic (Post 4450045)

What kind would you suggest? && would it be ok to run the kind u suggest in winter and summer? or only one of the 2?

Sebo_T 12-24-2009 11:22 PM

Would a 20W be good for winter and a 40W for summer?

gearbox 12-25-2009 09:08 AM

my rear main seal was leaking and my vtec solenoid would throw an engine code using 5w20 recommended weight. switched to 5w30 and the leak is gone and no more vtec issues. 5w20 is just too thin. oil breaks down while driving anyway, so after some use the 30w is prolly closer to a 20w. you can prolly get away with running 20w in winter but no way in summer. 40w might be too thick for a honda engine, but you could try it in summer. id say if you are burning with 30w, then you have a problem that needs fixing (prolly new piston rings). no additive is gonna fix a mechanical problem.

Sebo_T 12-25-2009 09:43 AM

Yah i know... I'm planning on putting a B18 or something along the lines of that in, in the spring... =)
So that problem should be gone after that,.... I hope :P

cb450sc 12-26-2009 08:18 PM

Have you tried a high mileage oil? I know that my neighbour used it on his daughters clunker and it slowed the loss considerably. He said that it would burn two and a half litres over 5000 km. When using the HM oil, it burned about 1/2 a litre over the same mileage.

cgomes 12-26-2009 08:57 PM

5w20 is used mostly for the milage
5w30 works great for all current and past civics. (I'm using 5w30 right now) I also have a slow oil burn.
5w40 prob. not unless you have forced air.

I'm currently using castrol. Found that buying brand does make a difference, Mobile 1 burned the quickest for me.

Do your own changes and buy bulk when they are on sale you'll save a lot.

Hondaguy89 12-30-2009 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic (Post 4450045)

Probably better to either bite the bullet and get it fixed or at least use the recommended oil. I wouldn't use thicker oil, its not worth the extra strain to the engine and its not like using thicker oil (unless its considerably thicker) is going to slow down the leak to any noticeable extent.