Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   '97 Civic LX Timing Belt Replacement (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/322622-97-civic-lx-timing-belt-replacement.html)

mharnisch 10-13-2009 01:56 PM

'97 Civic LX Timing Belt Replacement

I have a '97 Civic LX with only 65,000 miles that has never had the timing belt replaced. I am thinking that I better replace it due to its age. I just checked two local Honda dealers in the Toledo, Oh, area, and they want $525-$550 for the job. I have done a lot of work on my vehicles over the years, but have never changed a timing belt. I am wondering if anyone has experience doing this and can offer any suggestions. Due to the cost, it sounds like it might be a major job. Is this something I should tackle or should I just bite the bullet and let the dealer do it?

sl33pyriceboi 10-13-2009 02:30 PM

Re: '97 Civic LX Timing Belt Replacement

for that much, what are they gonna be replacing?

at any mech shop, for 400-500 you can get replaced:

timing belt
power steering belt
AC compressor belt
gaskets/seals
tension-er + tension-er spring
water pump + waterpump seal

Cleft_Asunder 10-13-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mharnisch (Post 4440084)
I have a '97 Civic LX with only 65,000 miles that has never had the timing belt replaced. I am thinking that I better replace it due to its age. I just checked two local Honda dealers in the Toledo, Oh, area, and they want $525-$550 for the job. I have done a lot of work on my vehicles over the years, but have never changed a timing belt. I am wondering if anyone has experience doing this and can offer any suggestions. Due to the cost, it sounds like it might be a major job. Is this something I should tackle or should I just bite the bullet and let the dealer do it?

You don't replace a timing belt at 65k unless you really really like to replace timing belts or you like giving money to honda for no reason.

But assuming you were replacing it, you can follow my DIY in my sig. Except you don't need to take the bumper off. Leave the bumper on, take two 1/2 inch extentions for the 24" breaker bar, rest the breaker on a jack stand for support. I need to update my DIY because it's overly complicated. :_disgust: I will post a pic if you're interest.

Again, you don't need to replace it. It's due at 105k under severe conditions. You're wasting your time/money.

mharnisch 10-13-2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder (Post 4440095)
You don't replace a timing belt at 65k unless you really really like to replace timing belts or you like giving money to honda for no reason.

But assuming you were replacing it, you can follow my DIY in my sig. Except you don't need to take the bumper off. Leave the bumper on, take two 1/2 inch extentions for the 24" breaker bar, rest the breaker on a jack stand for support. I need to update my DIY because it's overly complicated. :_disgust: I will post a pic if you're interest.

Again, you don't need to replace it. It's due at 105k under severe conditions. You're wasting your time/money.

The reason I want to replace it (or have it replaced) is because of age, not mileage. The manual says to replace it at 105,000 miles or 84 months, and I am well beyond that. I expect the belt deteriorates over time just like tires and radiator hoses, whether you put a lot of miles on them or not.
Yes, I would be interested in any pics you could provide. Thanks.

Cleft_Asunder 10-13-2009 07:16 PM

Alright, I updated the DIY, so go take a look.

YSIDRAG 10-14-2009 12:47 AM

I charge right at 450.00. Thats replacing the timming belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, and valve cover gasket. But yes they are right you realy dont need to change it. I tell all my customers 90k on a belt change.
Its pretty easy to do. only problem i see anyone having at home is getting the crank bolt to break loose. It can be a pain with out an impact and some of them wont do the trick.

Jay
Fabricated Performance

Cleft_Asunder 10-14-2009 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by YSIDRAG (Post 4440146)
I charge right at 450.00. Thats replacing the timming belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, and valve cover gasket. But yes they are right you realy dont need to change it. I tell all my customers 90k on a belt change.
Its pretty easy to do. only problem i see anyone having at home is getting the crank bolt to break loose. It can be a pain with out an impact and some of them wont do the trick.

Jay
Fabricated Performance

24" breaker bar + pipe over it is cake.

YSIDRAG 10-14-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder (Post 4440174)
24" breaker bar + pipe over it is cake.

That will do it or a matco 1/2" impact and 150psi of air pressure will do it to. lol

mharnisch 10-16-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder (Post 4440116)
Alright, I updated the DIY, so go take a look.

Thanks much for the info. I'll need to take some time to look this over and then I am sure I will have questions.

Cleft_Asunder 10-16-2009 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mharnisch (Post 4440586)
Thanks much for the info. I'll need to take some time to look this over and then I am sure I will have questions.

It's straight forward once you get going. Feel free to ask questions.

camarostylin 10-29-2009 12:07 AM

Hey, remember having a big breaker bar isnt going to stop the engine from turning over. also remember to never turn it backwards. a half inch impact is your best bet, but with either tool, remember not to OVERTIGHTEN the crank bolt when you put it back on. i broke on once on a chevy aveo. my heart hit the floor. new crank time-and guess what's more cost effective than that-a new engine. so be careful. they can break.

LUCKY the bolt was soft enough that with a brand new set of snap on chisels we were able to make a line in the broken off bolt and turn it out. saved my job for sure. turns out the replacement bolt was only $1.55, and the local GM dealer had several, even though it's a korean car. that answers a couple questions right there lol.

if you've never done a timing belt before, as you've stated, you should hear several tips.

1. once you get the timing to top dead center, the timing marks are lined up, and you are in a position to take the belt off, use a white out brush to put a little dab on each of the timed components where they meet the seal or timing cover or something immediately next to it. this way you have a second, easy to read point of reference when checking timing.

2. disconnect the negative battery cable. to make sure it's absolutely not possible for the motor to turn over. both for your safety, and to make sure the pistons dont come slamming into the valves if the timing belt isnt together.

3. the crank to cam idler or cam(s) side of the belt should be the taught side of the belt. all slack should be on the tensioner stretch of the belt back to the crank. this is to ensure proper timing, and to make sure when you apply the tensioner it doesnt turn the cam(s) or crank back, out of time.

4. After applying the tensioner, confirming timing marks are still correct, turn the crank over 2 full times back to the timing mark and then confirm the cams are still lined up with their timing marks. do NOT just put it back together once the tensioner is applied without doing this.

5. if the timing belt has any timing lines or marks on it make sure they align correctly. if it has arrows on it, they should be facing out. I am about to do my first civic timing belt (i know everyone in the world has done them but me) so i dont know if they have either of these things, but i did a 96 camry v-6 today that had both lines and arrows. so just take a quick look.

mharnisch 10-29-2009 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by camarostylin (Post 4442451)
Hey, remember having a big breaker bar isnt going to stop the engine from turning over. also remember to never turn it backwards. a half inch impact is your best bet, but with either tool, remember not to OVERTIGHTEN the crank bolt when you put it back on. i broke on once on a chevy aveo. my heart hit the floor. new crank time-and guess what's more cost effective than that-a new engine. so be careful. they can break.

LUCKY the bolt was soft enough that with a brand new set of snap on chisels we were able to make a line in the broken off bolt and turn it out. saved my job for sure. turns out the replacement bolt was only $1.55, and the local GM dealer had several, even though it's a korean car. that answers a couple questions right there lol.

if you've never done a timing belt before, as you've stated, you should hear several tips.

1. once you get the timing to top dead center, the timing marks are lined up, and you are in a position to take the belt off, use a white out brush to put a little dab on each of the timed components where they meet the seal or timing cover or something immediately next to it. this way you have a second, easy to read point of reference when checking timing.

2. disconnect the negative battery cable. to make sure it's absolutely not possible for the motor to turn over. both for your safety, and to make sure the pistons dont come slamming into the valves if the timing belt isnt together.

3. the crank to cam idler or cam(s) side of the belt should be the taught side of the belt. all slack should be on the tensioner stretch of the belt back to the crank. this is to ensure proper timing, and to make sure when you apply the tensioner it doesnt turn the cam(s) or crank back, out of time.

4. After applying the tensioner, confirming timing marks are still correct, turn the crank over 2 full times back to the timing mark and then confirm the cams are still lined up with their timing marks. do NOT just put it back together once the tensioner is applied without doing this.

5. if the timing belt has any timing lines or marks on it make sure they align correctly. if it has arrows on it, they should be facing out. I am about to do my first civic timing belt (i know everyone in the world has done them but me) so i dont know if they have either of these things, but i did a 96 camry v-6 today that had both lines and arrows. so just take a quick look.

Well, this sure sounds like it might be too much of a job for me to tackle. If I opt to not change the belt, what is the worst that can happen if the belt breaks? Will it cause any damage to the engine, or just leave me stranded at the side of the road?

ChronKyrios 08-31-2011 09:21 PM

I know this thread is 2 years old, but this question needs to be answered. Your Honda uses an Interference Engine. This means that when the belt breaks, your engine will at the very least *bend a bunch of valves* :cry: and it could be a lot worse. :russian:

Age does wear out rubber, if you are (anyone reading this is) worried about deterioration because of age, it may be a valid concern. Better safe than sorry on this kind of thing.

mharnisch 09-01-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ChronKyrios (Post 4559268)
I know this thread is 2 years old, but this question needs to be answered. Your Honda uses an Interference Engine. This means that when the belt breaks, your engine will at the very least *bend a bunch of valves* :cry: and it could be a lot worse. :russian:

Age does wear out rubber, if you are (anyone reading this is) worried about deterioration because of age, it may be a valid concern. Better safe than sorry on this kind of thing.

I did go ahead and have the timing belt replaced by Honda because I agree that time takes it's toll on rubber as well as mileage does. They also replaced the water pump, valve cover gasket, as well as the other two belts. Cost came to just over $600. I feel safer for doing it.

fishtown boy 12-16-2011 07:28 PM

I just bought a nice 1998 Civic LX sedan with 121,356 miles. I am feeling like I should replace timing belt. Only one owner before me but I just cant tell if the belt was ever replaced.....can I?? I am a newbe to Honda's. So please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

mharnisch 12-17-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by fishtown boy (Post 4578235)
I just bought a nice 1998 Civic LX sedan with 121,356 miles. I am feeling like I should replace timing belt. Only one owner before me but I just cant tell if the belt was ever replaced.....can I?? I am a newbe to Honda's. So please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Unless you know who the previous owner is and can ask them you will be in the dark. Did you buy it from a dealer? If so, the dealer might have service records to show that the work was done. Of course, the work could have been done elsewhere or by the owner. You probably won't find out. So, you have to decide whether you want to take a chance on the belt breaking and possibly destroy the engine or play it safe and have it changed as I did. Being a Honda it should last for many, many more miles if taken care of.
Good luck.

Rootie 10-30-2012 10:43 AM

If you want to replace the timing belt the hardest part is removing the crank pulley bolt as others have said. Here's the easiest way I've found. First, buy a Vise Grip brand chain tensioning tool. It looks like a set of vise grip pliers with a length of bicycle chain instead of jaws.

Cut a piece of belt that fits the crank pulley grooves. Ex. the AC belt. It's worth it to sacrifice the old belt. You have to remove it anyway. Cut a piece that just wraps around the small diameter end of the crank pulley. Tape the ends to hold it on the pulley.

Using the Vise Grip tool, wrap the chain around the pulley, over the piece of belt that you put on. Clamp it on as tight as you can get it. At this point the handles of the Vise Grip tool will be pointed downwards since you'll be working under the car. Now turn the crank pulley with the Vise Grip tool until the handle contacts the axle. That will lock it in place so you can break the bolt loose without the engine turning.

Now you'll need a 17mm socket and the longest breaker bar or ratchet you can find. If you can, slide a piece of pipe over the bar or ratchet for added leverage (cheater bar).

The easiest way I've found to get the bolt loose is to move around to the front of the car. Put a strap or rope through the drivers side tow loop to give you something to hold onto. Sit on the ground, hold the strap and use your foot to push the breaker bar. This gives you much more power than using your arms.

If you don't have the crank pulley clamped tight enough with the Vise Grip tool, the pulley will spin instead of the bolt coming off.

I've tried to remove this bolt even with a 3/4 drive impact gun and it just doesn't work unless you keep the pulley from turning.
The rest of the procedure is pretty straight forward using a Haynes manual. Read through the entire section before you start.

kapicarules 07-18-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by camarostylin (Post 4442451)

I remember seeing a method by putting a breaker bar on the crank pulley and then laying it against a piece of metal on the car and bumping the starter till it loosens up. The bar will press against the car and loosen the bolt by turning the engine