Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Automatic transmission fluid buring after only 10,000 miles? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/319552-automatic-transmission-fluid-buring-after-only-10-000-miles.html)

BillH 07-12-2009 01:39 PM

Automatic transmission fluid buring after only 10,000 miles?

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX w/automatiic transmission. The car has just turned 100,000 miles. I had the transmission fluid changed at 60,000 and at 90,000 miles, both times at the Honda dealer. I had the engine oil changed recently at a service station and they told me my tranny fluid was severly burned and needed changing. What could cause the fluid to burn up at only 10,000 miles? I did notice the dip stick for the transmission fits pretty lose in the hole even when the engine is cold. Could that be letting dirt in the tranny? Any information would be greatly appreiciated.

Thank you very much.

Protan988 07-12-2009 01:53 PM

Re: Automatic transmission fluid buring after only 10,000 miles?

Well first of all its probably not all that bad but when Honda does your transmission fluid they are only changing a small amount of it. Your transmission system holds about 7-8 litres of transmission fluid in it. What Honda does is they do a drain and fill. They drain the pan on the transmission and refill it. The pan only holds about 2-3 litres of the fluid. so as you can see over the time you have only had 4-5 litres of transmission fluid changed likely. That is why it appears burnt. I would personally recomend either doing a full system flush (Only on proper intervals. Warning that if you go far overdue on transmission fluid and flush it that it could do damage to the system.) Or do a drain and fill on the transmission every 20000 miles. In all reality the transmission on your car is the MOST COMPLICSTED part of it and is very expensive to repair or replace it. Change your tranny oil regularly.

04 Honda Civic 07-12-2009 01:58 PM

Do you drive really hard? Chances are they said that it was burnt just so they can make more money off of you..Pull out your tranny dipstick and check for yourself.. Does it smell burnt? is it dark in color? I had a loose tranny dipstick as well and I replaced it.. It kept poping out, I think it is due to the heating and cooling the rubber starts to shrink and it fits like crap.

BillH 07-13-2009 07:05 PM

Thank you very much for all the information! I neglected to say that when the Honda dealer changed my transmission fluid at 60,000 and 90,000 miles, they did do a full system flush both times. So I'm not sure what to do at this point. Again, thanks for all the advice.

gearbox 07-13-2009 07:49 PM

mine turns dark really fast after a long highway trip (like 1-2k miles). i just change it more often, usually once a year or 10k miles is good to keep some fresh fluid circulating. it never hurts to have new fluid.

bluericeburna2k2 07-13-2009 09:59 PM

my tranny dipstick also was loose. i was given a tube of heat shrink tubing to slip and melt over the rubber part of the dipstick. works like a charm!