Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   2005 Civic Coupe EX: timing belt or chain? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/318974-2005-civic-coupe-ex-timing-belt-chain.html)

ChiSoxFan 06-25-2009 12:58 PM

2005 Civic Coupe EX: timing belt or chain?

My manual says to replace the timing belt at 110,000 miles.
I called the dealer's service department to request a price quote and they said that my car has a chain, not a belt, and also not to replace the water pump until it breaks, which may be never.

So my question is this: who is wrong, my manual or the dealer? Does my 2005 Civic EX Couple have a timing belt or chain?

CraigW 06-25-2009 01:09 PM

Re: 2005 Civic Coupe EX: timing belt or chain?

It has a belt, 06+ has a chain.

gearbox 06-25-2009 01:09 PM

2005 model still uses the belt. 100% sure. you always replace the water pump and timing belt tensioner whenever you do a belt change. thats common sense. most water pumps break at 100k miles anyway. so you decide if you wanna pay another 500 to change just the water pump after they do the belt only.

ChiSoxFan 06-25-2009 01:22 PM

Thank you both very much!

I love my dealer and they're never even attempted to rip me off for any kind of service, but apparently the guy on the phone either didn't know what he was talking about or had a brain fart and was thinking of the 8th generation Civic.

Right now I have 91,000 miles. Is the 90,000 mile service worth it for $384.99? It basically is an inspection of everything, plus trans fluid, coolant (both done already at 60,000 miles), oil/filter change, tire rotation, clean and regap spark plugs, replace air and AC filter (all I need is the AC filter), inspect and adjust drive belts, inspect radiator, full brake inspection (gonna need rear drums soon, I think), inspect electrical system, check steering, check suspension.

Worth it for $384.99? If not, what do you recommend I do at this point or do soon, if anything? Timing belt and water pump is a given. Trans fluid and coolant already replaced at 60,000. Brake fluid purged at 60,000 as well.

Anything else necessary at this point or soon?!

Thanks!

CraigW 06-25-2009 01:39 PM

The 2 drive belts and the spark plugs are are also rated at 110k. As well as the other items mentioned that go with the timing belt.

gearbox 06-26-2009 01:16 PM

its a ripoff. change the air filter yourself with a screwdriver and a $15 filter from the auto store, trans fluid and coolant should be $50 each from the dealer if you dont wanna mess with it, oil change maybe $20, new plugs you can do they are $2 each for some ngks at auto store, pollen filters are 2 for $20 and easy to change behind glove box, other than that the inspecting usually never happens anyway and isnt needed. im sure your drums are still fine. time for another brake fluid flush too then if its been 3 yrs already.

ChiSoxFan 06-26-2009 08:04 PM

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

How about power steering fluid? Is it necessary to change it, or is topping it off adequate?

If it should be changed and I haven't changed it at all at 90,000 miles, will it hurt to change it at this point? I've heard for trans fluid, if you've never done it by 100,000 or so miles, you're better off never doing it. I was wondering if it's the same for power steering fluid.

My dealer just tops it off as far as I know. They never tell me it should be changed.

gearbox 06-26-2009 11:15 PM

if the ps fluid looks dark, change it. it wont hurt anything. if its still lighter color, dont bother.

gearbox 06-26-2009 11:21 PM

ps fluid only change if it looks dark. its fine if you havent changed it til now, nothing bad will happen. its its still light color, dont worry about it.