Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   idle problem (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/315327-idle-problem.html)

r8dR supeRstaR 02-28-2009 03:54 AM

idle problem

well, first off im new to this site..and the problem im having with my 04 honda civic si hatch is that my idle bounces from 900 to a little above 2k rpm and after about 5 to 10 minutes with the car running, it'll start bouncing like it's red lining at 2k rpm..im thinking it's my idle air control valve..but im new to the newer year hondas..well, can anyone help me out..and if it is my iacvalve then where is it located, and what are the procedures that i have to do to take it out and clean it??? lmk thanks

civicsrcool 02-28-2009 05:31 AM

Re: idle problem

could be that. could be a vacuum leak as well.

gearbox 02-28-2009 09:38 AM

you can try that, the iac is usually bolted to the throttle body and has coolant lines feeding into it. sounds more like a bad tps which means youll need a whole new throttle body.

blkcoupe1201 03-02-2009 08:47 AM

Im having the same problem with my 00 civic ex. It will bounce at 2k like its hitting revlimiter. I changed the idle control value and it stoped for a week then started back. I took off my TB and cleaned it still nothing. Im lost I have no idea what it could be.

Yaj00003 03-02-2009 08:27 PM

It could be a bad MAP sensor or a bad 02 sensor one of those or go to a autozone and look for a trouble code....

04 Honda Civic 03-04-2009 05:49 AM

a bad o2 sensor can cause that?

shadymechanic 03-04-2009 02:37 PM

If it's an 2004 Civic, you don't want to be replacing things that do not need replacing- costs big $$ on newer hondas. If you are not sure, and you are tripping a check engine light then go to your auto parts place - like an Autozone- and have them check it out on the scanning tool, first! A bad O2 sensor is often the culprit-the one above the manifold. Look for simple things first, leak in hose, dirty throttle body - especially if its a desert car or winter car. Check aircleaner connection as well.

blkcoupe1201 03-05-2009 08:29 AM

I was wondering if it also could be a bad PVC vaule?? If so where is that located at on a 00 civic ex (d16y8):confused::confused:

gearbox 03-05-2009 01:51 PM

hmm not exactly sure, some older engine had em right on top of the valve cover near the oil cap. newer ones have it down below on the right side of the engine and you gotta reach for it. kinda hard to see tho. theres a tube connected between it and the intake mani.

shadymechanic 03-05-2009 03:07 PM

Probably above the oil drain plug somewhere. See if you can't see a blue or red colored piece with a hose going to it. You can usually see it with a bright light under the car.

allnet0300 08-18-2014 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4392659)
you can try that, the iac is usually bolted to the throttle body and has coolant lines feeding into it. sounds more like a bad tps which means youll need a whole new throttle body.

I swapped my whole throttle body and now the ifle problems is finally fixed , cleared the codes and then the check engine light came back on , so i was wondering my honda could have a bad computer , so if i change the computer ecu and see if that would solve and take away my check engine light . Watchu think?