Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Where is all my oil going???? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/312822-where-all-my-oil-going.html)

2000civic00 12-04-2008 09:27 PM

Where is all my oil going????

Hi, I have a 2000 Honda civic ex. I am constantly going through oil ever since I got the car. when I am daily driving I loose little to none, but when I run the engine hard I can loose up to a quart of oil per day??? I figured if I was burning that much oil, I would be able to see it coming out of the exhaust but I don't see anything. and there is not a spec of oil on my garage floor either. where is it going, and how can I figure it out? thanks

phuviano 12-04-2008 11:07 PM

Re: Where is all my oil going????

I think you answered your question already. You're burning your oil. My 04' burns oil too, but that's because I push it hard (red line) from time to time. You gotta have some fun with the 80hp we have..lol. As cars get older, they tend to burn more oil.

Fox04coupe 12-05-2008 01:51 PM

haha, quit doggin it man... you get a bunch of black crud on your rear bumper i'm guessing? you might wanna try an oil for higher mileage engines? I used to run it in my chevy just cuz it was from 1978, it seemed to help. A quart a day habit is a lot though, tell ur car to quit smokin it... or get that bad boy into rehab. :eek:

joe6680 12-05-2008 03:50 PM

My 01 does that as well. I changed the valve cover gasket and that helped a little as it was a little wet around that seal. Only thing I can assume is maybe some drips off while driving but its not bad enough to stain my driveway. I think you'd know if you were burning it as you'd see some smoke coming out the tail pipe. Just keep an eye on it its one of those added maintenance features of owning an older car.

civicsrcool 12-05-2008 04:16 PM

rings or head gasket.

2000civic00 12-05-2008 04:25 PM

I'm 90 percent sure that I'm not burning it cuz the back of my car is clean and I don't see anything and neither do any of my friends when they are driving behind me. I was thinking maybe a gasket where the oil leaves the pan and goes to the engine.

TRIZ 12-05-2008 04:29 PM

Put a piece of cardboard under your engine when you park, check it next time you drive and put it in your trunk till you park.. try parking on uphills and downhills, maybe there is a crack in your oil pan and it only comes out on a hill? I dunno. You really need to jack your car up, slide under and see if there is any oil anywhere on the motor or in the engine bay in general. If there is, find where its coming from and thats your problem.