Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   First oil change - advice (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/304810-first-oil-change-advice.html)

johng35 02-20-2008 08:07 PM

First oil change - advice

First post on this board...
Need help on the first oil change for my new 2007 EX Civic Coupe.
Bought it mid september 2007 but i only have 2900 miles on it.
Oil maint minder says 40% life remaining.

Since this is the break in oil, do I wait until 4500- 5000 miles or do I go by the 6 month rule -(which is soon approaching) ? I know that there are other factors with regard to moisture and combustion products that deteriorate the oil based upon time intervals.

I live and drive in Brooklyn NY if that helps.

civicsrcool 02-20-2008 08:22 PM

Re: First oil change - advice

it doesnt matter. do it whenever you like. lol. just take off the oil drain bolt and let the oil drain into a container. replace the bolt and bump in the new oil. simple!

phuviano 02-20-2008 09:05 PM

I believe you wait a little longer with your first oil change. Both my friend and my cousin are Mechanics at Acura. They both told me you need to wait longer than usually to do your first oil change, because Honda puts other additives in the oil from the factory.

I don't know the exact miles you are supposed to change it, but I do know its a longer interval. Your best bet is to call the Honda dealership where you bought your car.

gearbox 02-20-2008 09:42 PM

just wait til 5k, normal change interval.

TRIZ 02-20-2008 10:44 PM

You go by whichever comes first- the mileage or the miles. Its not okay to have 3 year old oil sitting in your car if you have only driven it 500 miles. Look in your manual for the recomended oil change.

As for the oil change itself its pretty easy. Flip open the hood to figure out what kind of oil to use, look up in your manual how many quarts you need. Head over to the auto parts place and grab your quarts of oil. You also need a oil filter- look up your make, year, and model in the filter book thats infront of the filters. Head up to the checkstand and your set. To do the oilchange.. you need the engine to be warm, not hot. Jack the car up so u can get to the drain bolt, and make sure you have an oil pan and a jug to put the used oil in. Unscrew the oil cap up top and get low and undo the drain bolt... let it dran, take off oil filter, bolt back up. Then add oil to filter and around the seal, screw it on. Use funnel to add in new oil, put cap back on. Double check everything, drop car. start engine for a minute, check oil level add more if necessary.

Good luck.

pheaton 02-21-2008 09:10 AM

I'm not sure what these mystery "factory additives" are. All motor oils have detergents and additives in them, they all break down with the oil, that's why you change it.

Personally I would think you would want to change the first oil sooner. Seems to me with a new engine there would be more crap in the first oil change than anything. Crap I don't want floating around. I've heard alot of guys changing their first oil after 500 miles, the 2nd at 1000, the 3rd at 2000, then they start on the 3000 intervals, and do it every 3000.

When I got my car the dealer didn't say anything about additives or anything. I changed my oil at 3000, and have ever since. 80,000 miles later, with a tune up my engine runs like it's brand new.

I think when it comes to changing oil 3000 miles isn't a second to soon. Especially on the first change.

gearbox 02-21-2008 09:37 AM

the oil has additives that help the engine to break in properly such as higher moly count, etc. 3000 is way too soon imo and you are just wasting money. i usually go 5-6 months (could actually go 10k miles with the lc20 in there and change filter at 5k) and my car runs like new without any tune up.

johng35 02-21-2008 06:41 PM

Thanks for the input.
I should have been a bit clearer that this is not the first time I have changed the oil in my cars ...just the initial change on this engine/car - the oil is the break in oil that the factory gives you.

The manual says nothing different by the way about the first oil change... but I was unsure. Did not want to do things too early and not have a proper break in, or too late and discover unwanted presents in the drain pan.

FYI-I hope the oil change on this Honda is like my old Cutlass, and UNLIKE my Ford.

Eyger 02-21-2008 11:34 PM

When I change my oil, I pull out the drain plug let the oil come out, then turn the engine on for a couple minutes and fling out the rest.....

SIKE! nah I don't do that. That would be really bad.... "duh why does my engine make da metal scraping noise?"

Oil changes are easy... and fun if you ask me. i actually look forward to workin on my car like that.

gearbox 02-22-2008 07:43 AM

did you learn that from the guy on srt4 forums? lmao.

TRIZ 02-22-2008 10:09 AM

^ Haha, or the "scramble some eggs, and on a hot day, poor the mixture all over your car with a little soap, wait a half hour and wash it all off- your car will shine like new."

beadebaserr 02-22-2008 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4289661)
the oil has additives that help the engine to break in properly such as higher moly count, etc. 3000 is way too soon imo and you are just wasting money. i usually go 5-6 months (could actually go 10k miles with the lc20 in there and change filter at 5k) and my car runs like new without any tune up.

gearbox, good call man. i don't understand why people spend so much money on good synthetics then change them out at 3k. i know of guys running boosted k20 setups pushing 400whp and over running amsoil up to 6-8k and it being fine, oil analysis saying that they could even go longer without a change. if you're going to change your oil at 3k, just buy dino oil and save your money, or spend a bit more on a REAL synthetic and enjoy the extended OCI.

Eyger 02-22-2008 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4290009)
did you learn that from the guy on srt4 forums? lmao.

Ha ha, yea I did! He also said I should spray wd40 on my tires to make them slicks....

Jk. SRT4's....oh the douchbaggery.....

gearbox 02-22-2008 12:28 PM

what about the lexus forums guy who painted his whole rotors (yes rotors) with red caliper paint.

Civic_Racer9 02-23-2008 01:41 PM

i say go mobil 1 synthetic and change oil overy 5k

Eyger 03-01-2008 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4290106)
what about the lexus forums guy who painted his whole rotors (yes rotors) with red caliper paint.

!!!? Holy moly you can't be serious! That's the craziest thing I've heard in a long time. I wonder if it ever occurred to him why there was a burning smell coming from his wheels....

Know what would be cool though, an anodized red brake rotor or something like a red metal. Know what Im saying..... I wonder if it's even possible... oh well.