Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Honda Recommended Lubricant list (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/303511-honda-recommended-lubricant-list.html)

dopes6070 01-04-2008 02:29 PM

Honda Recommended Lubricant list

Here is a little something I ran across on a Honda Odyssey forum. This applies to all Honda cars and trucks and should answer most questions about what lubricant to use where. Most of these are readily available either at a parts store or a Honda dealer. :tup:

Honda Recommended Grease and Lubricants
"A recommended Grease and Lubricant material is selected by Honda engineers only after its effectiveness has been evaluated under the conditions in which it will be used. This Service Bulletin describes most of the recommended materials commonly referenced in Honda service and training publications. You can purchase these materials through local suppliers; many are also available through American Honda.

GREASES AND LUBRICANTS:

Material USA Part # Canada Part # Description and/or Usage

3M Brake Lube 3M #08945 N/A High-temperature anti-seize lubricant and corrosion protection for tight-fitting or dissimilar metal parts. It’s good for minimizing exhaust system buzz.

Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 08798-9008 4423802 The only brake fluid specifically formulated for use in Honda vehicles. It helps to reduce the corrosive effects of moisture in the fluid and is compatible with synthetic and rubber materials.

Anti-Freeze/Coolant - Type 2 OL999-9011 6512636 Extended life coolant. Do not add water as it comes premixed.

Brembo Brake Grease 08798-9027 7773278 The only recommended grease to be used on Brembo brake pads.

CV Joint Grease-Inner (yellow) 08798-9003 4011748 Extreme-pressure, high-temperature grease for inner CV joint lubrication.

CV Joint Grease-Outer (black) 08798-9007 4414405 Extreme-pressure grease for lubricating outer CV joints.

DC 111 Silicone Paste Call Dow Corning: (800) 248-2481 High-viscosity lubricant for rubber-to-metal and plastic-to-metal contact. Also used for suspension bushings and brake system seals.

Honda Caliper Grease 08C30-B0224M 4853958 High-temperature, silicone-based grease used to lubricate caliper slide pins.

Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease 08798-9013 4642294 Used to reduce rubber-to-rubber noises and to lubricate roof seals.

Silicone Grease 08C30-B0234M 6110928 Used to reduce rubber-to-rubber noises and to lubricate roof seals.

Lithium Dielectric Grease 08798-9001 3720976 White grease used to pack electrical connectors for moisture and corrosion protection.

Moly 60 Paste 08734-0001 2963866 60% moly-grease formula that is recommended for gears, bearings, and other high pressure/high temperature applications.

Molykote 44MA Call Dow Corning: (800) 248-2481 Moly grease used between the brake shoes and backing plate and on the ends of the shoes.

Molykote MH62 08798-9012 4562187 Moly grease used to lubricate plastic-to-plastic contact.

Molykote M77 (75-gram jar) 08798-9010 4503793 A high-molybdenum-content paste that polishes more than it lubricates. Use it on the back of brake pads and on brake shims.

Power Steering Grease 08C35-B0534L 6009583 The only recommended power steering grease because of cold weather properties. Use only on steering racks.

Super High Temp Urea Grease 08798-9002 3720984 Medium-viscosity grease used to lubricate parts with metal-to-metal and metal-to-plastic contact. It’s good for mainshaft splines and clutch pivot points.

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Fluid 08200-9006 5030119 The only CVT fluid specifically formulated for use in Honda CVTs.

Automatic Transmission Fluid - Z1 08200-9001 6512628 The only ATF specifically formulated for use in Honda A/Ts. Don’t use any other ATF.

Manual Transmission Fluid 08798-9031 4928271 The only MTF specifically formulated for use in Honda M/Ts. Don’t use any other MTF.

Dual Pump Fluid 08200-9002 6512644 Use in the CR-V dual pump rear differential. The fluid helps reduce noise and wear.

VTM-4 Differential Fluid 08200-9003 6512651 Use in vehicles equipped with an active torque rear differential. The fluid helps to reduce noise and wear.

PAG Oil ND-8 38897-P0A-A01AH 4172474 Refrigerant oil used in A/C systems with Nippon Denso (ND) compressors.

PAG Oil S10-X 38897-PR7-A01AH 4419347 Refrigerant oil used in A/C systems with Hadsys compressors.

PAG Oil 38897-P13-A01AH 4172466 Refrigerant oil used in A/C systems with Sanden compressors.

PAG Oil (Passport V6) 2-90188-301-0 4435996 Refrigerant oil used in Passport V6 A/C systems.

PAG Oil (Passport L4) 2-90188-300-0 4435996 Refrigerant oil used in Passport L4 A/C systems.

Sanden SE-10Y 38899-RCJ-A01 38899-RMC-A01 Refrigerant oil used in Civic and Accord Hybrid vehicles. Do not mix with any other refrigerant oils.

Power Steering Fluid 08206-9002 4435996 Power steering fluid in all Honda vehicles except Passports.

Water Pump Lubricant 08798-9005 4212049 When added to the coolant, this lubricant reduces noise caused by water pump bearings and seals.

Lock Lube 08732-0010 6985634 A grease that’s safe to use in all types of locks: door, ignition, and trunk."

Honda Service Bulletin 99-030 Feb 2007

TRIZ 01-04-2008 02:38 PM

Re: Honda Recommended Lubricant list

Very usefull. You my friend have earned a sticky.

phuviano 01-04-2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by dopes6070 (Post 4277081)
Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3 08798-9008 4423802 The only brake fluid specifically formulated for use in Honda vehicles. It helps to reduce the corrosive effects of moisture in the fluid and is compatible with synthetic and rubber materials.

Manual Transmission Fluid 08798-9031 4928271 The only MTF specifically formulated for use in Honda M/Ts. Don’t use any other MTF.

Honda Service Bulletin 99-030 Feb 2007

Dot3 only?? why does my filler cap say dot3 or dot4 ???

Honda MTF works well, but I find Amsoil works better for me.

I know your probably just cutting and pasting from the manual or another website, so I really don't need a response.

btw, really good info.

beadebaserr 01-04-2008 03:20 PM

really good info, deserves a sticky, but it's probably gonna freak a lot of noobs out. there are lots of alternatives to things on there that work just as well, if not better.

speedfoos 01-04-2008 03:50 PM

Blech. Too many words.

Good post, and this subscribes me to the thread so I can refer back to it when I need it.

dopes6070 01-04-2008 03:51 PM

Well these are just lubricants that Honda has tested in-house and determined that they work correctly. This doesn’t mean that others wont work. This is just the list the a dealer will use to make sure they are using the right stuff. Thanks for the stickey

RHCP0801 01-04-2008 04:16 PM

i have been working at the dealer for a while and havent seen half that shit lol

dopes6070 01-04-2008 04:54 PM

^ thats kinda funny

Its got a TSB # lol

joe6680 01-04-2008 08:06 PM

I prefer to use KY for all my lubricating needs :) Sorry guys you knew someone was gonna say it, so it might as well have been me.

Mr_Plenty 01-23-2008 08:26 PM

^^^lol i knew it was coming
good list by the way...and for those who have the slave cylinder squeek the UREA GREASE is for that.

wilbur1977 07-09-2008 03:25 AM

What type of Amsoil mt fluid would you recommend is there a certain weight or type??

FoSho 07-09-2008 10:22 AM

That shits expensive....we just order carquest junk for the dealership :) haha..on some stuff....put we always use honda trans,diff, & coolant

sl33pyriceboi 07-09-2008 01:00 PM

dont forget bout teh vtec fluid.... i have some on sale if anyone wants some...

dopes6070 07-09-2008 01:18 PM

Seriously.... I use Honda Tranny fluid and coolant and I just use whatever is cheap for everything else haha. Like brake fluid I use dot3 prestone lol. $4 for a big bottle!

electric130 06-29-2009 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Plenty (Post 4281573)
for those who have the slave cylinder squeek the UREA GREASE is for that.

can you elaborate? my clutch has squeaked like crazy for years. my daughter always asks where the crickets are at? :lol:

MartinL 08-01-2010 11:41 PM

This was a pretty useful post indeed.
I did some looking around and found a few extra lubricants and parts from the Honda site.

http://www.honda-tech.com/attachment...5&d=1267923350

gewder209 09-17-2010 03:41 AM

:rockon:

ih8work 03-11-2011 04:24 PM

A think everyone should know and always keep in mind is that there are a couple irreputable facts. Number one. All oils sold in this country, USA, must be missable. That isn't a typo, just a bad word. It means that no lubricant can receive the API seal if it can cause damage to any engine, transmission, or driveline part when mixed with anyother brand. Another very good thing to remember is that at this time there are no auto manufacturers in that import or export to the US that refine their own oil or own or lease a refinery. All manufacturers set their requirements not to what they want people to use but to the API specs. In plain English, it is a violation of federal law to mislead the public into thinking that only their oil will work because The API does the testing and guess what? They don't have special requirements for each brand. They can recommend using a certain brand but most manufacturers use many different people to buy lubricants from. I am a retired petroleum engineer with Sun Oil in Tulsa, Oklahoma. These are facts!!! Another good thing to remember is this when someone states, "this is twice as good as your oil will ever have to be, blah, blah", it is more than you will ever need and you won't receive the benefits from using it. It comes back to the laws of diminishing returns. If you would go to three different Honda dealers, there is a very good choice, especially if they were in different parts of the country that their lubricants would be made by different manufacturers. I raced motorcycles for over 30 years and always felt that if an oil was goood enough to not be sheared to pieces by a motorcycle racing at 8000 rpm plus at 300 degrees F and lubricate the transmission, all in an air cooled motor. It would be hard pressed to fail during normal use on the street in a car. Their marketing is designed to do one thing and that is make money.

xRiCeBoYx 03-11-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ih8work (Post 4523903)
A think everyone should know and always keep in mind is that there are a couple irreputable facts. Number one. All oils sold in this country, USA, must be missable. That isn't a typo, just a bad word. It means that no lubricant can receive the API seal if it can cause damage to any engine, transmission, or driveline part when mixed with anyother brand. Another very good thing to remember is that at this time there are no auto manufacturers in that import or export to the US that refine their own oil or own or lease a refinery. All manufacturers set their requirements not to what they want people to use but to the API specs. In plain English, it is a violation of federal law to mislead the public into thinking that only their oil will work because The API does the testing and guess what? They don't have special requirements for each brand. They can recommend using a certain brand but most manufacturers use many different people to buy lubricants from. I am a retired petroleum engineer with Sun Oil in Tulsa, Oklahoma. These are facts!!! Another good thing to remember is this when someone states, "this is twice as good as your oil will ever have to be, blah, blah", it is more than you will ever need and you won't receive the benefits from using it. It comes back to the laws of diminishing returns. If you would go to three different Honda dealers, there is a very good choice, especially if they were in different parts of the country that their lubricants would be made by different manufacturers. I raced motorcycles for over 30 years and always felt that if an oil was goood enough to not be sheared to pieces by a motorcycle racing at 8000 rpm plus at 300 degrees F and lubricate the transmission, all in an air cooled motor. It would be hard pressed to fail during normal use on the street in a car. Their marketing is designed to do one thing and that is make money.

You sure that "missable" isn't a typo? I'm pretty sure the word you're looking for is miscible. Missable and miscible are 2 completely different words.

And from what I was to understand, the differences in oils isn't in how they mix with other brands, but the detergents they use within the oils to give them slightly different lubricating properties (i.e. maintaining viscosity throughout different temperature ranges, emulsifying properties, etc.) . All the of which are all miscible, meaning they'll mix with each other in proportions, not really changing the lubricating properties in a manner so detrimental that it'll damage anything.

My info comes from learning about oils while working as a nuclear power plant mechanical engineer in the Navy, and applying the knowledge to automotive purposes.

Suntrana45 03-20-2011 08:44 PM

I agree with # 19's answer, I was taught that the US miltary demands all lubricants, etc. they use shall be compatible with one an other, hence any product sold in the U.S. would have to meet MilSpecs.

metalshredder 05-03-2011 02:12 PM

Soo..... the people in some of the other threads saying that amsoil or others have made their 5 speeds fail are full of crap? Or..do some of those so called 'performance fluids' not have the little seal on them?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I just got my first civic 3 days ago.

gearbox 05-03-2011 03:59 PM

certain honda lubes have proprietary additives that no other fluids can match. you are fine using whatever motor oil and brake fluid, but thats about it. you can also use zerex japanese coolant but its more expensive than the honda stuff. PS and auto trans i wouldnt go with anything else personally.

krikey 09-07-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by joe6680 (Post 4277194)
I prefer to use KY for all my lubricating needs :) Sorry guys you knew someone was gonna say it, so it might as well have been me.

Oh... I see how it is! You want to make fun of Kentuckians! LOL!
I actually am from KY, so i'm cool with that. Hey, at least i'm not from West Virginia!! (LOL!) I can attest that a 2006 civic SI oil filter is a bitch to change. Being from the home of KY jelly and all, i had already drained the oil out of the pan before i realized i couldn't see an oil filter?? I finally got a strap wrench on it,but it was a pain in the arse. You must turn the steering wheel all the way to the left to get it done, and it leaks oil all over the place.

I did find a better way to do it on you-tube. These guys took the wheel off the car, to give them more room. (Passenger-side right) It seems much easier. But, It's still a giant pain in the ass. Actually, the manual says there is a special tool needed to get the oil filter off, available at your local Honda dealer, of course...

I did use a Fram filter and Castrol GTX 5W-30.. So cry all you want weiners! I guess the next project will be manual transmission fluid, filter, etc. Anyone else have problems with their 6-speed grinding or kicking out of 3rd gear??? :shrug:

StormBringer 05-17-2016 03:37 PM

Castrol Import Multi-vehicle (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid

It actually makes me laugh when I read the comments about how you absolutely HAVE to use Honda ATF in a Honda Transmission. Does anyone actually think that Castrol does not have Chemist/Engineers that are able to reverse engineer and analyze exactly what constituents are in the Honda ATF fluid and duplicate it?
Also, do you think that Castrol would advertise an oil for a specific use that would result in a massive number of lawsuits? I have been using Castrol Oil since I first started working on engines at about 12 years old. How long do you think they would have stayed in business producing a product that would ruin transmissions?