Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Uh-oh......airbag light is on. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/292156-uh-oh-airbag-light.html)

DeX 03-22-2007 12:12 AM

Uh-oh......airbag light is on.

Short version - I unplugged the seatbelt warning wire under the seat and plugged it back in, now the airbag light on my gauge cluster is on.

Long version - I bought racing seats and installed them. On the passenger side I unplugged the 2 plugs under the seat, removed the stock seat, and installed the racing seat. Then I plugged the plugs back in after bolting the seatbelt clip to the new bracket. This was yesterday, and I drove around this afternoon with the new seat on the passenger side and the old seat on the driver side. No problems. Then I removed the driver side seat, unhooked the plugs, plugged them back in, unhooked them again, installed the racing seat, plugged them back in, and now the airbag light is on. What could be the cause of this? There is absolutely no way for the vehicle to know what kind of seat is on the driver side, all the wires are plugged in the same way.

The only thing I haven't tried is to put the stock seat back in but how would it know anyway? How do I make it go away without ignoring it? My washer fluid light is also on but that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

dalaw 03-22-2007 04:02 AM

Re: Uh-oh......airbag light is on.

what are those wires for? I was looking for something on the floor today and i saw some wires under my passenger seat and wondered what they are for cuz my car is not equipped with side airbags.

DaMadScientist 03-22-2007 06:18 AM

There should be 2 different plugs, a grey one and a yellow one, the grey one is your seatbealt indicator you know that thing that tells your guages that you have no seat belt and the other is the yellow one, whenever you see a yellow harness plug doesnt matter where on your car its your SRS harness, now for Dex, need to know if your car is a 2 or 4 door as well as car trim and if your car has side air bags

miklovo 03-22-2007 09:02 AM

Whatever you do don't break or cut any of the SRS wires. They are a pain in the ass and extremely expensive to replace. The whole wire system (from the seat to the dash to the airbags is one long system, honda wholesale charges $550 just for the part. ^^^^^^madscientist is right about the plugs, although i'm not sure which one is which one is for the SRS sensor and the other is for the wieght sensor which tells the car how much the person in the passenger seat wieghs therefore deploying the airbag at a different pressure.

tuningmycivic 03-22-2007 10:08 AM

so how do you turn it off?? i put rsx seats in mine and the light has been on ever since....:(

Kevbotron 03-22-2007 10:19 AM

I remember a while back someone made a DIY to disable the beeping seatbelt alarm for 04 civics.. but I can't find it... anyway, I beleive he said to disconnect the neg- power from the battery before you tamper w/ it... One guy said he didn't disconnect the battery line, and he got the airbag warning. He ended up taking it to honda and paying an arm and a leg to get it turned off he said... w/ the tech guy saying "were you tampering w/ the plugs under the seat?" with him denying it :lol:

ohsnapsjay08 03-22-2007 10:22 AM

lol guys this has been covered on my thread thanks to this importpassion member who shared and help "v-tek". You can actually look for it or... just USE your old seat buckle called tensioners (not the seatbelt) from your stock seats and replace that on the Rsx seat.... TADAA~~~ that will solve the problem. i currently have RSX 05 seats on my car and I love it when i dont see that stupid SRS light on. The reason bieng is that the resistor on aftermarket / RSX seats differs in seat buckle tensions are different on the one thats on our stock.. so That will solve your problem!!!

lxcivic2k1 03-22-2007 12:45 PM

I haven't bother'd with anything on my seatbelt or seat and my SRS light is on, but I've gotten use to it, lol.

DeX 03-22-2007 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DaMadScientist (Post 4163227)
There should be 2 different plugs, a grey one and a yellow one, the grey one is your seatbealt indicator you know that thing that tells your guages that you have no seat belt and the other is the yellow one, whenever you see a yellow harness plug doesnt matter where on your car its your SRS harness, now for Dex, need to know if your car is a 2 or 4 door as well as car trim and if your car has side air bags

It's a 2005 coupe DX. No side airbags.

DeX 03-22-2007 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ohsnapsjay08 (Post 4163265)
lol guys this has been covered on my thread thanks to this importpassion member who shared and help "v-tek". You can actually look for it or... just USE your old seat buckle called tensioners (not the seatbelt) from your stock seats and replace that on the Rsx seat.... TADAA~~~ that will solve the problem. i currently have RSX 05 seats on my car and I love it when i dont see that stupid SRS light on. The reason bieng is that the resistor on aftermarket / RSX seats differs in seat buckle tensions are different on the one thats on our stock.. so That will solve your problem!!!

I couldn't follow anything you just said. Could you dumb it down a little?

SEN_ONE 03-22-2007 02:00 PM

^What he said was simple. You need to use the seatbelt buckle that attaches to the seat from your Civic if you have RSX seats in your car.

ohsnapsjay08 03-22-2007 03:51 PM

thanks sen... very well said, couldnt have explain it any better. its pretty funny how simple that was LOL. and dont worry about airbag if your an LX or DX (or if your seat doesnt come one) cause tensioners socket/plug ( color yellow) has nothing to do with airbag socket.

DeX 03-23-2007 01:11 PM

But I don't have RSX seats and I am using the original seat belt clip. Everything to do with wiring is the same, I just have a Tenzo racing seat.

ohsnapsjay08 03-23-2007 06:01 PM

i guess all there's left for you to do is the SRS reset. (since you never took out your battery when you switch to a Aftermarket seat) which you can find here in civicforums. its the paperclip method.

J

DeX 03-24-2007 02:10 AM

I'm going to take it by Honda and see if they can do anything under warranty.

Pickles 03-24-2007 03:16 PM

ya i need to know how to fix this problem... those diys are for turning off the srs light not the airbag light..im soo confused

ohsnapsjay08 03-24-2007 05:29 PM

LoL airbag light is the SRS light hehe.. come to my place i'll do it for free!

DeX 03-25-2007 01:50 AM

I don't want to fool the computer or anything, I want it actually legitimately turned off. I'm going to check the manual and try unhooking the battery like someone suggested.

DeX 04-28-2007 12:52 AM

I pulled the negative battery wire (finally) for 15 minutes or so. When I put it back on, the airbag light was still on but the check engine light that had come on last week was now gone. So I brought the car by Honda tonight to have them look at it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have an answer by end of day.

kornsined 04-28-2007 01:51 AM

It's stupid easy to fix. http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/srsreset.htm

I followed those steps and VOLA!! GREAT SUCCESS!

Hondalx 04-28-2007 08:52 AM

Please don't bash me for asking, but I just installed 2006 RSX Type S front seats in my 05 LX coupe (no side SRS) and now my SRS light is on as well. I was told by a coworker that after a while if the computer doesn't see a problem with the SRS it will turn itself off after so many start ups. Yet, if I were to disconnect the battery would that clear the code? Just trying not to go to the dealer to have this code cleared.

kornsined 04-28-2007 01:20 PM

^^No, The only way to get it off is to follow the link I provided. All it takes is 2 wires and follow the procedure. Very simple.

DeX 04-28-2007 06:21 PM

I got the car back today and they must have done this reset because the light is off now. But they have to order a part to stop it from coming on again, the SRS buckle is gone and that's causing the problems. Hoora for warranty.

ohsnapsjay08 04-28-2007 06:53 PM

HondaLx ------> lol try replacing stock tensioner (from your stock seat) to your new 06 rsx seat. I can explain it why but trust me, just to that and that'll do it. but ofcourse, after that... you gotta do the SRS reset. if you live in socal, just come by and i'll help ya out.

Mr_Plenty 04-28-2007 07:20 PM

my GOD this thread is repetative jeez!!!

Hondalx 05-01-2007 07:28 PM

Between yesterday and today tried the "jumper wire" trick and finally this afternoon got it down pat. Tried over an hour yesterday and was to slow and didn't have timing down, so I tried again today and after about 4 tries got my SRS light reset. Thanks to whoever found this out.

kornsined 05-02-2007 08:37 PM

I did it on my first try. Trick is to have longer jumper wires so you can see the dash. :tup: At least it worked.

devastator 05-15-2007 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ohsnapsjay08 (Post 4163265)

I installed the stock civic buckles onto my RSX seats and I'm still getting this problem.

joangt 06-07-2008 02:27 PM

I have the same problem, I removed the seats to wash the carpet and when I put them back on, the SRS light went on in the dashboard. anyone knows how to reset the SRS light? do I really need to get the car to the honda dealer? please help me!! im driving a 2004 Civic EX 4 doors

Thanks!

sl33pyriceboi 06-07-2008 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by joangt (Post 4323929)
I have the same problem, I removed the seats to wash the carpet and when I put them back on, the SRS light went on in the dashboard. anyone knows how to reset the SRS light? do I really need to get the car to the honda dealer? please help me!! im driving a 2004 Civic EX 4 doors

Thanks!

let me help you.... but not to be a dick or anything....

SEARCH

this has been talked bout 1000 times alerady. there is even a DIY on here and on every other civic forum on how to reset ur SRS light.