Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   atf change and other tips (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/290077-atf-change-other-tips.html)

shiftlessguy 02-08-2007 09:44 AM

atf change and other tips

Wow I changed my trans fluid what a difference!Any how after you've loosened your drain plug get a piece of tin foil and wedge it between the suspension and the trans and make a V in it and hold it there till the trans fluid is almost done draining.This will direct the trans fluid to the pan better.Then you don't have trans fluid dripping all over stuff.Also on other vehicles I've done this for replacing the trans fluid.First drain the pan,put new fluid in then pull off one of the trans cooling lines and direct ti to a bucket (you may have to get a piece of hose of the rite size)It takes 2 people to do this.Start your car and when fluid starts coming out start dumping in new fluid till all the old stuff comes out clean.Make sure you have about 9 qts. opened all ready so you can fill fast.Also for us people that have to drive our cars in the winter put plastic Mylar on your headlites.I've noticed that after a few years of sandblasting the lenses get dull and won't let lite thru as good.

LT2004ever 02-08-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by shiftlessguy (Post 4141838)
Also for us people that have to drive our cars in the winter put plastic Mylar on your headlites.I've noticed that after a few years of sandblasting the lenses get dull and won't let lite thru as good.

Nice write up :tup: But also walmart sells a headlight cleaner kinda thing thats like something you put on a drill, that buffs your headlight, and makes it clear as i'll get out for just $10. I would recommend this first then the mylar.

TRIZ 02-21-2007 02:55 AM

I'd never put anything from walmart on my car. The people that work for the suppliers of walmart are getting paid dimes, their morals are low, and therfore so is their work ethic- why would u put quality time and effort into products for a company that doesnt pay u anything... u wouldnt.

But hey, thats just the biz major in me talking.

I didnt know what mylar was so I looked it up. "During the 1960s cellophane gave way steadily to MylarŪ with its superior strength, heat resistance, and excellent insulating properties." That about sums it up, its a film. Good tip. I just put new (aftermarket) headlights on and I def dont want them getting messed up like my buddys neon (which happens to be the same year-ahaha)

anyways, thanks for this tidbit man

LT2004ever 02-21-2007 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by TRIZ (Post 4148106)
I'd never put anything from walmart on my car. The people that work for the suppliers of walmart are getting paid dimes, their morals are low, and therfore so is their work ethic- why would u put quality time and effort into products for a company that doesnt pay u anything... u wouldnt.

But hey, thats just the biz major in me talking.

I didnt know what mylar was so I looked it up. "During the 1960s cellophane gave way steadily to MylarŪ with its superior strength, heat resistance, and excellent insulating properties." That about sums it up, its a film. Good tip. I just put new (aftermarket) headlights on and I def dont want them getting messed up like my buddys neon (which happens to be the same year-ahaha)

anyways, thanks for this tidbit man

awww.... this stuff works like magic tho...also they have cheap meguiars gold class products :)