Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Cleaning Speaker covers in door. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/288552-cleaning-speaker-covers-door.html)

chickenbuster 01-08-2007 12:00 AM

Cleaning Speaker covers in door.

Hey I have a funny question about my speakers in the front doors of my car. I have had my car for 2 years, and have not figured out how to get the speaker cover clean. You can just wipe off the surface, but I have no way of getting in all those little holes clean:hithead: . I dont want to take off the door panel. Any advice or tips would be great. Thanks!

beadebaserr 01-08-2007 12:34 AM

just take the door panel off. :) it takes about 5 minutes if that.
couple clips and a couple screws.

chickenbuster 01-08-2007 04:38 PM

Anyone else, any other ideas?

HotShotMedic 01-08-2007 04:54 PM

like the man said, take the door off. or go nuts for 5 hours with a q-tip

CraigW 01-08-2007 04:59 PM

Slightly wet, soft bristle brush ?? I have something in the rears of mine I will experiment.

chicohonda02 01-08-2007 05:25 PM

learn the ins and outs of the car. take the panel off. Its easier that u think, trust me. I figured out the first time how to take it off, but couldn't get it back on. U'll figure it out, it just pops off and slips off.

BlueRevs 01-08-2007 05:31 PM

Toothpick and a shopvac! The toothpick loosens the dirt/dust while the shopvac sucks it right up. Way better then taking the door pannel off. besides once those clips come off they never seem to fit the same or as secure as they used to.

beadebaserr 01-08-2007 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRevs (Post 4125439)
Toothpick and a shopvac! The toothpick loosens the dirt/dust while the shopvac sucks it right up. Way better then taking the door pannel off. besides once those clips come off they never seem to fit the same or as secure as they used to.

I've had mine off more than once and it's been totally fine and just as secure. As long as it goes back together correctly it should stay tight.

sil04ver 01-08-2007 06:42 PM

compressed air in a can

chicohonda02 01-08-2007 07:21 PM

exploring the car only makes u smarter when something goes wrong. U live and learn.

TRIZ 01-08-2007 07:31 PM

compressed air is the way to go. You could try a tooth brush or something. whats the point though. why are your panels so dirty- ever check your cabin filter?

Alpha 5 01-08-2007 07:35 PM

"WE GOT A CABIN FILTER"?:roflmao: I know it's coming. Just wait and see.

fernus 01-08-2007 08:14 PM

The speaker covers in my doors come off in like 15 seconds. Either way you can clean stuff like that by 1st vac and brush then if needed you can spray a foaming cleaner. The idea is that the foam won't go on the speaker cause it will foam the holes shut. Then you can use a med-short bristle brush to clean it. You can then put a rag over the moisture and then work the rag into the holes with the brush to dry them.

TRIZ 01-08-2007 08:18 PM

the merge is begining to take affect. wasnt this a 7th gen specific question? Oh.. guess not. Well dude, depending on what kind of car you have, it'll all be different. If you can pop the grills off then that will be easy, if you cant, you can pop the door panel off, and if you dont want to do that, use a brush or air can. If you dont take it off, you run the risk of having clean holes, but dirty speakers. Its all up to you.

mr.rowdy 01-09-2007 12:49 AM

Go to your detail shop or a store similar and they sell a brush for that specific reason.. If there is not a store near you go to
We Are Car Care ! Car Wax - Car Polish - Auto Detailing Supplies & Car Accessories
and buy a brush

chickenbuster 01-09-2007 02:43 AM

Thanks for all the replies, and just to be specific, this is a 2004 civic coupe, so you do have to take the whole panel off to get to it. I dont have a garage and it is about -10c with a whole bunch of snow on the ground, so I have no intentions of taking the panel off. And the little holes are dirty from mud, not just dust. When you live in a wet snowy place, It doesnt take long for your car, including the door, to get real dirty and messy! Thanks again for the advice!

tdac69 01-09-2007 05:41 AM

vaccum cleaner...maybe?