Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Any Experience with Super Tech Synthetic (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/273776-any-experience-super-tech-synthetic.html)

liubhs02 08-08-2006 05:44 PM

Any Experience with Super Tech Synthetic

I want to change to synthetic oil come next oil change time. Most of the name brand are kind of expensive, and I'm kind of poor. Does anyone have any experience with Wal-Mart's store brand Super Tech synthetic? Is it just as good as Mobil 1 or should I dish out the extra dough for Mobil 1?
Also, any suggestions on a good brand for oil filter? I heard Fram is pretty crappy.

ctx66 08-08-2006 06:48 PM

Supertech synthetic is an excellent oil for the money. I would use it myself if they made 5w-20. I would use that instead of mobil 1. Pennzoil platinum is also a good choice at $3.97 a quart.

If money is tight, I'd recommend a supertech oil filter as well. If you don't feel comfortable using them, purolator premium plus, purolator pureone, napa gold, and wix oil filters are all very good as well.

01HonderCivic 08-08-2006 07:02 PM

Super Tech is rebadged Quaker State. At least it was at the Wal-Mart I worked for. I don't know if that's what they do at all Wal-Marts though.

zen_master 08-08-2006 07:07 PM

Mobil 1 5W20 all the way..........

with OEM honda oil filter...........

ctx66 08-08-2006 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Super Tech is rebadged Quaker State. At least it was at the Wal-Mart I worked for. I don't know if that's what they do at all Wal-Marts though.

Walmart has 3 producers for their Supertech oil, ExxonMobil, Warren performance, and Shell. Quaker state is a part of SOPUS (Shell oil products united states).

Jrfish007 08-09-2006 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ctx66
Supertech synthetic is an excellent oil for the money. I would use it myself if they made 5w-20. I would use that instead of mobil 1. Pennzoil platinum is also a good choice at $3.97 a quart.

If money is tight, I'd recommend a supertech oil filter as well. If you don't feel comfortable using them, purolator premium plus, purolator pureone, napa gold, and wix oil filters are all very good as well.

It's an okay oil. Personalyl I don't think it's any better than a good dino oil. It's not really a true synthetic and it has a realtively weak additive package. If you don't mind changing your oil often, I guess it wouldn't be bad, but I personalyl would treat the oci (oil change interval) the same as a dino... around 5k or so.

ctx66 08-09-2006 02:21 PM

In uoa's and voa's the additive package it appears "weak", but as technology advances theres a lot more to an oil than you see in these reports. I no longer pay any attention to the calcium, zinc, phos, moly, etc. because of this.

Supertech synthetic is supposed to be using a super bad-ass new additive package from a company called lubrizol. Castrol GTX and Valvoline Durablend are also using this new additive package, and recent uoa's from all of these oils have been outstanding. Wear metals have been so low its almost unbelieveable.

Jrfish007 08-10-2006 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ctx66
In uoa's and voa's the additive package it appears "weak", but as technology advances theres a lot more to an oil than you see in these reports. I no longer pay any attention to the calcium, zinc, phos, moly, etc. because of this.

Supertech synthetic is supposed to be using a super bad-ass new additive package from a company called lubrizol. Castrol GTX and Valvoline Durablend are also using this new additive package, and recent uoa's from all of these oils have been outstanding. Wear metals have been so low its almost unbelieveable.

Lubrizol? really? I worked there lol All they make are additives for oil/gas, they are HUGE and nobody knows who they are becuase consumers can't directly buy their products, yet almost every American indirectly purchases their products. I'm waiting to see how the analysis comes back on these oils, besides I've quite a stash of free oil setting around now days, most of it is synthetic too, which means it will be around for while.

cwo715 08-16-2006 01:35 AM

Royal Purple

http://royalpurple.com/header/gen1.gif

its all i use

Jrfish007 08-16-2006 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by cwo715

yup.... and there is better oil out there for that price. Considering how quickly it thins out and the high sulfur content. IT really was designed for drag cars and such that only have a life span of about 500 miles.