Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   drain 1st quart = cleaner?? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/270557-drain-1st-quart-cleaner.html)

def01tones 07-16-2006 03:10 PM

drain 1st quart = cleaner??

a coworker of mine has a SWEET TT 300ZX, and he says after he drains all of the old oil out, he pours his 1st quart in and just lets it run through the engine and back out. he said that it will get more of the old oil out. what are ur thoughts bout this???

Hoosier282 07-16-2006 03:43 PM

Your basically wasting a quart of oil. You might get like a little bit more out then you would just letting it drain normally, but frankly if you just let it drain it is just fine. If you want to clean your oil system out there is a good product called Sea Foam which cleans your system out good. It is worth the buy and you dont have to waste a quart.

Rennen 07-16-2006 03:57 PM

i pour a 1/4 quart to rinse out w/e old oil is left.

def01tones 07-16-2006 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rennen
i pour a 1/4 quart to rinse out w/e old oil is left.

u do this with the new oil filter on? old filter on? or no filter?

Rennen 07-16-2006 04:18 PM

i do it with the old filter. idk... it may do nothing, but i put about 3 and 3/4 quarts of oil in my car, so i'd have a 1/4 left over if i didnt use it to wash out the motor.

ctx66 07-16-2006 08:48 PM

I'm guilty of doing this in the past. But now, i just run my engine before i change the oil so that all the crap at the bottom of the oil pan gets suspended and should drain out with the oil.

skipbarber 07-16-2006 09:14 PM

this wont do anything...the engine gets lubricated a number of ways, all of which work when the engine is running. dumping a quart of oil in there isnt going to go through the entire block, it'll simply fall, almost vertically back to the pan.

def01tones 07-17-2006 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by skipbarber
dumping a quart of oil in there isnt going to go through the entire block, it'll simply fall, almost vertically back to the pan.

thats exactly what i was thinking. i bought an extra quart for nothing...hoe well.

Jrfish007 07-17-2006 10:37 AM

yup, doesn't do much..... however I do it. Usually the car takes 3.7 quarts or something like that, so I use the 0.3 quarts from the last oil change and dump it in, the first little bit the comes out is black looking, but that about it.

DaddyFatSacks 07-21-2006 01:59 PM

I buy 6 packs of Mobil 1 so, so with ever 2 packs I get a free oil change with the 4 left over.

aznboysrfr 07-21-2006 03:36 PM

he let's it run through the engine? ... like when the engine is running?

Jrfish007 07-22-2006 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
he let's it run through the engine? ... like when the engine is running?

No, just when he changes the oil, before putting the plug back to fill the engine up, he puts an extra quart through it. The engine is not running or anything... I hope.

diskreet 07-22-2006 08:34 AM

If he turns the engine on with the oil drain bolt out we will all hunt him down and kill him for his stupidity.

Not nearly as bad as the SR(etarted)T-4 driver who thought green cleaner would be good inside the engine to clean it.

aznboysrfr 07-22-2006 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by diskreet
If he turns the engine on with the oil drain bolt out we will all hunt him down and kill him for his stupidity.

Not nearly as bad as the SR(etarted)T-4 driver who thought green cleaner would be good inside the engine to clean it.

yeah. another srt4 guy who couldn't get his drain bolt out, so he took his oil filter off and started his car to drain out the oil from the filter hole. yup.

that's why I asked.