Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Mind boggling quotes from two honda dealers for 60k service... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/262585-mind-boggling-quotes-two-honda-dealers-60k-service.html)

lapchern 05-22-2006 11:24 PM

Mind boggling quotes from two honda dealers for 60k service...

so i'm approaching 60k soon and I call two local dealers to get a quote on their 60k packages.

Goudy Honda
60k service (includes transmission oil replacement) - $189.95
Transmission oil replacement only - $40

Spirit (formerly Nelson) Honda
60k service (does NOT include transmission oil replacement) - $369.95
Transmission oil replacement only - $70

What's up with the huge gap? Can anyone vouce for these two dealerships' service depts? It seem slike a no brainer to go with goudy.

To me it seems like the main thing to look at when hitting 60k is the transmission oil. I can do the pollen and air filter myself. Anything requiring me to go under my car i go somewhere to get it done.

orion_squall 05-22-2006 11:53 PM

Relax.

Do them yourself, mine is at 90k now, never went for any kind of service. Changed oil/fluids myself. Never had any problem.

You will need a certified mech only when something actaully breaks down.

RcHaN08 05-23-2006 12:11 AM

same here :rockon:

TemjinX2 05-23-2006 12:53 AM

You just need to do transmission and oil change. Total cost, $30-40 and maybe an hr of your time. Thats only if you get the expensive oil, but i do recommend the honda atf though.

hondoer27 05-23-2006 01:11 AM

Do it yourself

use the money for something else

Foffie 05-23-2006 01:28 AM

You also need to flush your coolant if its green if its blue then nevermind

civic4dizoor 05-23-2006 01:36 AM

your join date : DEC 2001 ????? ur oil\tranny fluids , brakes , sparkplugs if u havent already done it .

lapchern 05-23-2006 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by civic4dizoor
your join date : DEC 2001 ????? ur oil\tranny fluids , brakes , sparkplugs if u havent already done it .

doesn't the manual say 110k for to replace spark plugs?

motor oil was changed recently at a local shop where i bring my own oil for cheap labor.

pollen filter i will do myself.
transmission fluid i'm probably going to goudy honda to pay $40.
brake fluids i will take it somewhere as well.
am i missing anything else?

i've never jacked up a car (nor do i have one except the wee little one that comes with the car) before so i'm a little nervous going under the car to do something like this. :flush: i've done other things like replace my power door lock actuator and stuff like that tho!

cleancivic 05 05-23-2006 05:36 AM

man u have to learn how to work on ur own car

blackdragon 05-23-2006 06:51 AM

actually
Spark Plugs: 110k or 6yrs
Air Filter: 6k
ATF: 100k or 5yrs
Oil: 3k or 3-5mths (depending how much u drive)
Pads: every 6 mths
Brake & PS fluid are the only ones i would recommend going to the dealer, their work is insured, plus dealer + brake + steering = safety & peace of mind (usually)

stinkypie 05-23-2006 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by orion_squall
You will need a certified mech only when something actaully breaks down.

Or when you and your mechwarrior buddies get surrounded.

digitaldemigod 05-23-2006 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by blackdragon
actually
Brake & PS fluid are the only ones i would recommend going to the dealer, their work is insured, plus dealer + brake + steering = safety & peace of mind (usually)

brake pads every 6 months?! they should be lasting a lot longer than that.

I change oil every 10,000 miles using synthetic.

gearbox 05-23-2006 09:07 AM

just use common sense. The only maintenance you really need is fluid changes, and timing belt at 100k.

CenZ 05-23-2006 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by blackdragon
actually

yeah ive had my car for over a year and my pads still have alot of meat on them.

TheSmuggler 05-23-2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by stinkypie
Or when you and your mechwarrior buddies get surrounded.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Get the PMC Laser goin! :lol:

lapchern 05-23-2006 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by cleancivic 05
man u have to learn how to work on ur own car

i agree. i do try to work on my own car... hey i installed a K&N air filter :-).

i just wish i had a buddy who knew how to walk me through the first time doing these kind of things.

As for the person who says ATF every 100k... general consensus on the forums seems to be either 60k(as noted by manual under 'sever') or 30k...right?

offtopic... is the factory jack more than enough to help u lift the car and do an oil change?

armieo 05-23-2006 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lapchern
i agree. i do try to work on my own car... hey i installed a K&N air filter :-).

i just wish i had a buddy who knew how to walk me through the first time doing these kind of things.

As for the person who says ATF every 100k... general consensus on the forums seems to be either 60k(as noted by manual under 'sever') or 30k...right?

offtopic... is the factory jack more than enough to help u lift the car and do an oil change?

I hope you at least get jackstands.

teg91ls 05-23-2006 12:31 PM

100k till u change the atf? what do you think its made out of? lol its just regular fluid.. that is WAY to long

civics4everyone 05-23-2006 03:17 PM

civics dont even have tranny fluid filters just drain and fill! 60k services are mostly inspections. You either inspect yourself or most oil change facilities do some of the inspections for you. You can pay dealerships to do an annual inspection for 75-100$ which is like a 128 point thorough inspection, and is CHEAPER THAN THE 300$ for a 60k service you dont need. Other than fluids I personnally plan to have everything done at 95-100k. Including spark plugs, timing belt, water pump,any filters that i havent already done, coolant flush, fuel system cleaning, valve adjust, maybe a new battery.I have 68k and have changed oil every 3-5 k and swapped tranny fluid twice.I bought brake fluid to change soon. I stillhave original brake pads and they are just under a quarter inch(1/8 inch= replace). brake pads every 6 months LOL thats ridiculous!

skoot 05-23-2006 03:27 PM

When doing the trans fluid...It's better to flush it all out...because when you just drain and fill.. you're only draining about 3qt of fluid out of the pan...the rest of the trans fluid is in the transmission...You don't replace all the fluid unless you do a transmission fluid flush. Got my done at the dealer for 100 bucks. Check your fluid after they're done because mine was low...I don't trust anyone

digitaldemigod 05-23-2006 06:32 PM

I would never, ever, ever, ever, EVER get under a car with a flimsy little jack like that.

At least get yourself a 2 ton floorjack. They're only like $20. Sometimes they come with jackstands for like $30.

lapchern 05-23-2006 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by digitaldemigod
I would never, ever, ever, ever, EVER get under a car with a flimsy little jack like that.

At least get yourself a 2 ton floorjack. They're only like $20. Sometimes they come with jackstands for like $30.

would i need 2 sets of these things?

digitaldemigod 05-23-2006 06:59 PM

would i need 2 sets of these things?

You need one floor jack, you jack up the one side, then stick a jack stand under the car. Lower the jack, bring it to the other side and repeat.

2 jack stands
one jack

lapchern 05-23-2006 07:12 PM

You need one floor jack, you jack up the one side, then stick a jack stand under the car. Lower the jack, bring it to the other side and repeat.

2 jack stands
one jack

oh that makes perfect sense, thanks.

orion_squall 05-23-2006 10:00 PM

hi

Hi,

As a car illiterate myself, I would still suggest you doing things like oil change, ATF change. THey are can done by general public with no skill.

Break fluid change, coolant change, rotors, shoes replacement are harder and if you are really scared of liability then have those done by professionals.

By the way, members, do we have any collant DIY somewhere on this website?

thanks

DDragon7 05-23-2006 10:18 PM

2 jack stands
one jack

Or you could just jack the whole front end up and stick the jack stands in on the sides jacking it once.

Originally Posted by orion_squall
Hi,

As a car illiterate myself, I would still suggest you doing things like oil change, ATF change. THey are can done by general public with no skill.

Break fluid change, coolant change, rotors, shoes replacement are harder and if you are really scared of liability then have those done by professionals.

By the way, members, do we have any collant DIY somewhere on this website?

thanks

I thought the coolant was just a drain and fill.

TemjinX2 05-23-2006 11:42 PM

Your first atf change you want to do at 30k. The reason for that is because all the metal shards that came from your engine when you were breaking it in is still flowing around your tranny. When i did mine at 30k, my tranny fluid was orange and had bunch of metal shards. The mileage can vary depending on your area and drive style. Change the atf basically when the fluid isn't red anymore, especially on the autos.

oil you don't have to do at 3k. This isn't your grandpa's engine and d17 isn't a performance one. You can just do it at 5k unless you really beat on your car. Causal driving or highway driving you can do 5-7500 miles before an oil change.

Just spend $30 on real jack stands and $20 on a wrench set and you can use them everytime you work on your car. Doing a fluid change isn't difficult, just time consuming, especially your first time.

ajhdragon 05-23-2006 11:51 PM

the gap in prices are proably jsut because of the locations the dealerships are in. the one that sells to higher clientel proably charges more.

civic_04 05-25-2006 02:22 PM

Might as well ask this question, since jack stands were brought up.

I've jacked up the car before and used jack stands, but ive always run into a problem when placing the jack stands under the car. I use the jack points(whatever they're called) to jack up the car, but then when I'm putting the jack stands do I use the same jack point or can I put them somewhere else? because theres never enough room for the jack and jack stand to fit on those jack points at the same time (when im lowering the car with the jack onto the jack stand).

lapchern 05-25-2006 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ajhdragon
the gap in prices are proably jsut because of the locations the dealerships are in. the one that sells to higher clientel proably charges more.

then what's ironic is that spirit honda is in the heart of el monte, one of the most ghetto hispanic cities in socal, while goudy honda is located in alhambra with mid to upper class people populating the area. go figure.