Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   cleaning AEM filter...... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/262007-cleaning-aem-filter.html)

scizod 05-18-2006 08:57 PM

cleaning AEM filter......

I am due to clean my AEM filter. I just got back from DAP and purchased a K&N Recharger kit which is basically a cleaner and oil. Is it ok to use this recharger kit on an AEM filter or do I have to purchase the AEM cleaning kit? Also, how dry does the filter have to be in order to be oiled up and installed back on the car. Thanks for all your help.

NM.....I found the answer in a different thread

cwo715 05-24-2006 04:27 PM

dont reoil the filter, its known to mess up your IAT sensor and on some cars the MAF sensor, just buy a new filter say the AEM Dry Flo filter. http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/stores/...b2586a7a094af0

def01tones 05-24-2006 08:09 PM

alright i just finished cleaning mine right now, so is it safe to throw it back on w/o the oil? or should i put alil bit of oil??

gearbox 05-24-2006 08:23 PM

uh it doesn't filter without any oil. so goodbye engine. just get a better filter, aem dryflow doesnt need oil. K&N/cotton gauze SUCKS for filtering

def01tones 05-24-2006 09:07 PM

ah screw it! i just wont put the filter back on. filter...psshhh...

rutscivic 05-24-2006 09:45 PM

NO put oil on it.... if you dont thenits pointless, but you MIGHT have to replace the sensor, if you take it off youll see how bad they can get

burke420 05-24-2006 10:59 PM

i got iNJEN FILTER, and K&N highly rec.s that you re-oil the filter, but a new AEM dryflow wont worry about that. get the K&N cleaner, and follow the instructions.

diskreet 05-24-2006 11:10 PM

Oil it dude. If you do it right there should be no reason for it to do harm!

shroomster 05-24-2006 11:38 PM

oil goes and gets burned up no harm no foul...just follow directions and don't over oil...thats how ya screw up sensors and IAC valve....

D17thgen 05-26-2006 02:35 AM

i have had an aem sri for 33k miles and cleaned it twice already.

instructions asks to re-oil with a coat over every piece of the filter. i did double coats on both times and havent had a problem. what i did was shake the filter to remove any "loose" oil. if anything dripped, then i know i used too much oil. afterall, they purposely added red dye to the oil for a reason...

if you read the instructions, it clearly states you must re-oil the filter.

reddawnman 05-29-2006 12:06 AM

easy does it...

Yeah, the reason you get messed up sensors and such is being overly enthusiastic with the oil. The thing should be reddish purple when you look through the light... if you see a really really dark purple (or if you spin it and get coated in goop) you used too much. i oiled the "top" (closest to the outside of the circle) part of the filter and kind of let it seep down, then I turned the filter 90 degrees and continued. repeat until its coated. then, and only then, did I add more oil to the whitish looking areas after i saw how it seeped in. works pretty well, although there seems to be constant debate over whether K&N's filter worth a damn. Thats another issue entirely...

Hope that helps

A

sil04ver 05-29-2006 12:48 AM

Anyone know what size dryflow I need for my v2?

12345678910 05-30-2006 12:12 AM

the jerkoff who changed my oil last week said to oil my filter. im not now, im too paranoid about my car, haha

depotcivic 06-02-2006 10:50 PM

I just cleaned my sri aem and did as they instructed. When I oiled doe, I oiled to much....That shyt was dripping oil everywhere. I let all the oil drip out till I seen no more coming off the filter before putting on. Looks good now and can notice the power gain I had lost from not cleaning it since I bought it.