Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   different oil filters (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/256974-different-oil-filters.html)

bigsamdog 04-13-2006 02:51 PM

different oil filters

went to the store today cause im gonna change the oil myself and when i was gettin an oil filter i saw some that read PH5,PH8A and some other ones i cant remeber, is there a specific one for our civics? oh and i have an 03 ex 5spd if it matters

01HonderCivic 04-13-2006 03:07 PM

Fram P/n PH7317.
IBTL
:lock:

02BLKCIVIC 04-13-2006 03:25 PM

LOL

IBTL X2:lock:

DDragon7 04-13-2006 05:49 PM

IBTL X3 :lock:

R1Style 04-13-2006 10:08 PM

Different filters have different part numbers. Ask the person behind the counter which one is for your civic.

Jrfish007 04-14-2006 08:06 AM

There should be a book by the filter saying which filter is right for your car.

shroomster 04-14-2006 08:15 AM

it's odd....the older civics take the standard 3593....7317 started with our car....and is now on the element, and some of the other cars....of course the v-6's still take the 3593....

oh and IBTL X 4

Jrfish007 04-14-2006 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by shroomster
it's odd....the older civics take the standard 3593....7317 started with our car....and is now on the element, and some of the other cars....of course the v-6's still take the 3593....

oh and IBTL X 4

A few years ago Honda got the idea of cutting costs by only having to carry 2 filters in their dealerships and only having to have produce 2 filters, rather smart idea IMO. Hence they are trying to get all Hondas on to one filter. I was actually told at Honda the other day that even the older civic are using the same filters as the new ones at Honda. I'm guessing the Fram books have not been updated. But basically everything with 4 cylinders gets one filter (except the S2000), and everything with 6 get a different one.

shroomster 04-15-2006 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
A few years ago Honda got the idea of cutting costs by only having to carry 2 filters in their dealerships and only having to have produce 2 filters, rather smart idea IMO. Hence they are trying to get all Hondas on to one filter. I was actually told at Honda the other day that even the older civic are using the same filters as the new ones at Honda. I'm guessing the Fram books have not been updated. But basically everything with 4 cylinders gets one filter (except the S2000), and everything with 6 get a different one.

the 5-cylinder vigor (acura) had some weird ass random size filter...dunno what that was about...

01HonderCivic 04-15-2006 12:14 AM

Yeah, the NSX's and the Legends also use a PH8212. One time I sent a tech inside to get one and he said we didn't have one. Then I went in there about two hours later and turned out we did carry it, but we didn't even know about it. Stupid companies making unnecessary filter changes...

jamesandrew58 04-15-2006 04:17 AM

fuk FRAM keep it OEM or Hamp

02BLKCIVIC 04-15-2006 04:17 PM

on that subject:^^^^^^^^^^^

NSX Prime Sight
Fram
[RWI] I used Fram once with disasterous results. About 4 years ago, I decided to change my oil one Sunday. Unfortunately, no Acura dealers were opened on Sunday. So, I ran to my local Pep Boys and puchased myself an equivalent Fram filter. Did my oil and filter change as usual and went for a test drive. After about 20 mins driving around, I decided to take it to about 100 mph. Guess what, my oil presure dropped to zero and one of the idiot lights started blinking.

I immediately shut the engine off and assesed what had happen. There was smoke coming from the rear right side of the car but not on the left. Believe me, it was a scary experience. I was almost in tears while I pulled off the side of the road. I got out of the car and saw a trail of oil on the road leading up to my car. I remember praying as I carefully peeped under the car. First thing I noticed was the car's left underside was very clean. I decided to jack up the car right there and then so I could see more underneath. Further examination revealed the Fram rubber seal burst spilling most of the oil out of my engine.

I told myself then, I will never ever use a non-factory filter my my NSX again.
The next day, I took my car to the dealer and had them checked everything in my engine. Fortunately, the dealer said the engine has no detectable damage. It took at least 3 under carriage steam cleaning before I got all the oil out of the little crevices under the car. The moral of the story, don't skimp on oil filters, use the oil filter specifically designed for you car.

[DNG] Fram oil filters are know for this. Frams were banned from being used on race bikes since they kept blowing. I'd rather spend $4 more for piece of mind with the OEMs.

jamesandrew58 04-16-2006 03:56 AM

exactly.. keep it OEM.. you wouldnt want that happening now would you.. or maybe you do then you can collect a check from FRAM

SilverVTEC 04-16-2006 06:22 PM

well that is indeed a horror story about fram, but i have used them in my Z cars, mustangs, and my civic with NO problems what so ever. so i would say they are fine. Im sure that has happened to someone out there with a OEM filter, sometimes products just fail! For example: Simpson makes some of the best safety equipment(seatbelts), well one fail and Dale Earnheart was killed, but other racers still use the seatbealts...get my point?

Jrfish007 04-17-2006 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by shroomster
the 5-cylinder vigor (acura) had some weird ass random size filter...dunno what that was about...

Never mentioned Acura, they figure if you have the money for an Acura, you have the extra couple of bucks for specialized filter I guess.