Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   where is the atf drain plug located? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/250410-where-atf-drain-plug-located.html)

D17thgen 03-05-2006 03:02 AM

where is the atf drain plug located?

so i set everything up for an simple automatic tranny fluid change. went ahead and jacked up the front of my car (03 civic ex automatic) and looked for the drain plug on the at case. after a good 5min looking for the drain plug, im now clueless:confused:

is this a procedure that us auto civic owners must take into a professional shop to be done or what? i thought it was be simple as an oil change:_doh:

booba5185 03-05-2006 03:10 AM

passenger side about the middle of where the tire sits, there just enough room between the tranny and the frame to fit a 3/8" rachet in there, the bolt doesn't need any socket, it just uses the rachet itself, (the bolt has a square hole)

D17thgen 03-05-2006 03:50 AM

thanks, ill give it another try monday.

in the meantime, does anyone have specific pics of this location?

booba5185 03-05-2006 03:53 AM

sigh, i'll go look, i'm sure i'll be able to find a pic

booba5185 03-05-2006 04:14 AM

here's a pic, it's number 18, and this is a look from the back right hope it helps
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...s5p0_atm02.gif

streetglower 03-05-2006 07:09 AM

all you need to do is look right under the passenger side and you will see a bolt that has a 3/8 head on it for a ratchet. you cant miss it. it sits right above the lower control arm.

blackdragon 03-05-2006 07:18 AM

where do u pour it in btw?

streetglower 03-05-2006 07:27 AM

you pur it in through the dipstick.

eye_see_you 03-05-2006 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by blackdragon
where do u pour it in btw?

yellow or orage dipstick on top of the transmission under the stock airbox if you have one on still and I hope your changing fluid to synthetic or RED LINE fluid thanks to honda and the crappy transmissions

blackdragon 03-06-2006 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by eye_see_you
yellow or orage dipstick on top of the transmission under the stock airbox if you have one on still and I hope your changing fluid to synthetic or RED LINE fluid thanks to honda and the crappy transmissions

where can i get a funnel that long and wut fluid should i use i got almost 90k miles

streetglower 03-06-2006 01:25 PM

any funnel with a semi long nozzle on it should work. Go to walamrt and in the auto section they have funnels, I bought one of them and it works fine. Ir you can remove the resonator chamber when filling it. Also I would use honda ATF. I have used it for 115K miles now with now problems.

teg91ls 03-06-2006 08:46 PM

Honda atf is garbage fluid, the only reason they "claim" that only honda atf works is so people have to buy honda fluid thus making them more money.. do yourself a favor and get redline or some synthetic like was mentioned.. i just changed mine with mobil 1 atf,, took it for a drive shifts good.

teg91ls 03-08-2006 01:13 AM

good luck changing the tranny fluid yourself too,, it is a bitch and a half because of where they placed the drain plug hahahaha,,, honda loves to make shit difficult

booba5185 03-08-2006 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by teg91ls
good luck changing the tranny fluid yourself too,, it is a bitch and a half because of where they placed the drain plug hahahaha,,, honda loves to make shit difficult

no it's not....it's the easiest thing i've ever done to my car, dont use an extension on the rachet

crazyasian 03-08-2006 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by teg91ls
Honda atf is garbage fluid, the only reason they "claim" that only honda atf works is so people have to buy honda fluid thus making them more money.. do yourself a favor and get redline or some synthetic like was mentioned.. i just changed mine with mobil 1 atf,, took it for a drive shifts good.

agreed. i believe BG did a test on a bunch of atfs including honda and honda's atf only lasted 12 minutes of testing. it was the worst out of all the other atf. ill try to get a picture of the survey. the best one was BG universal synthetic trans fluid which i just put in my car and boy was there a big difference. smooth shifts all over. plz dont waste your money and get something better.

mrDFWmechanic 03-08-2006 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by crazyasian
agreed. i believe BG did a test on a bunch of atfs including honda and honda's atf only lasted 12 minutes of testing. it was the worst out of all the other atf. ill try to get a picture of the survey. the best one was BG universal synthetic trans fluid which i just put in my car and boy was there a big difference. smooth shifts all over. plz dont waste your money and get something better.

wow i'd really like to see that, very interesting

crazyasian 03-09-2006 12:42 AM

yea ill see if i can borrow it or see if i can get a copy of the chart to you guys.

TemjinX2 03-09-2006 02:48 AM

if it helps, the bolt has a little bit of blue paint on it. At least it did for my 04.

PiNoYxRaCeRxRH 04-01-2006 06:03 AM

i saw that chart! that chart is BS it made honda atf look like water! and made theirs the best of course! it's advertising!

kcm 04-01-2006 06:26 AM

sorry to hog the thread but what about cvt??? i got a stupid hx... still got get the rest of the parts for my k20 swap that has been taking forever to save up... also if anyone does not believe cvt sucks, i already had the tranny crap out after a little over 80k with just using honda atf as recomended... also does anyone know of any other atf for cvt because most say do not use with cvt excep hondas... thanks

shroomster 04-01-2006 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by crazyasian

you do know BG makes the honda atf....at least the additives for it.....

R1Style 04-07-2006 05:06 PM

interesting... did you guys measure how much tranny fluid came out then replaced it with the same amount... Or did you just put in a certain amount of tranny fluid according to the owners manual?

CraigW 04-07-2006 06:13 PM

2.9 Quarts

safusp 05-21-2011 07:21 PM

Re: where is the atf drain plug located?

Originally Posted by D17thgen (Post 3766060)
so i set everything up for an simple automatic tranny fluid change. went ahead and jacked up the front of my car (03 civic ex automatic) and looked for the drain plug on the at case. after a good 5min looking for the drain plug, im now clueless:confused:

is this a procedure that us auto civic owners must take into a professional shop to be done or what? i thought it was be simple as an oil change:_doh:

Hi there,
May be you can help me.. I've 2003 Civic LX and I face the same trouble. I'm trying to locate the ATF drain plug and no luck. Do you have any picture when you did it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Safuvan