Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Gas stations cheat you? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/237403-gas-stations-cheat-you.html)

Blackpearl 12-08-2005 12:00 AM

Gas stations cheat you?

I had two times that I put more gas in my tank then the tank capacity (13.2 galons) (13.8 and 13.7 galons):hithead: . I didn't drove more than 15 mi after the red (orange) low gas come on. So I expected around 11 to 11.5 galons or even less for fil up.
Any of you have same experience?
I don't talk abou topping off.
The differences in the gas pumps shot off canot be 2-3 galons! If yes, how can I put so much over the limit, considering that at leas I had 1 or 2 galons in the tank before fil up?
If I really put 13.8 in the tank then :_bow: pastic expanding at low temperature :hgrin: . Just a joke! Nop no expansions, but we realy have 13.2 gas tank?

Any comments, stories .....

diskreet 12-08-2005 12:03 AM

tank is 13.2 but the tube going into the tank holds a little too. with a bum pump and sensor that means you get more in the car than you should

TemjinX2 12-08-2005 01:08 AM

i know exactly what your talkin about. I usually fill up right when it hits the light and that usually ends up being around 10.8 to 11.2gallons of gas. My light came up and it was at 13 gallons and it still wasn't done. So i knew there was something wrong with the pump. I stopped it right away and then went to a different gas station. Usually its the pumps that pump really slowly are the ones that don't work correctly.

I went back to the same gas station, but tried a different pump and it came out correctly at about 11gallons from the light.

Sometimes the pump my might set incorrectly, but usually i try not to go back to those gas stations.

a4turboss 12-08-2005 01:09 AM

gastastions suck

a4turboss 12-08-2005 01:09 AM

i hope they die they steal your money

Blackpearl 12-08-2005 01:33 AM

Yep. And they messing up my calculations. I drive so carefully and I like to get high MPG. I constantly get 40+ but the last one gave 36. I don't have a big canister to prove that the gas station is cheating. Probably is better to put gas in canisters and then put in your vic. :(

gearbox 12-08-2005 08:37 AM

you have to use the same pump at the same station every time to calculate mpg and hope the pump is good.

four twenty 12-08-2005 09:15 AM

like a year ago, on the news they had some investigation. And some gas station counters were actually making and extra amount like $0.10 per every gallon. I think word got around and they have inspectors for this now, but it looks like it may be coming back.

Bad_Civc 12-08-2005 09:49 AM

ive noticed that too... and on top of that ive noticed at speedway they jip you...

you prepay for gas in my area... well it rings up like 5.439 gallons but when you pump you get 4.934 gallons.. so im thinking there jipping you on prepay...

fiatdale 12-08-2005 10:13 AM

Ive put over 27 gallons in my 26 gallon tank in my truck, kind of weird, I never thought I had it THAT low before. I saved the receipts too and scanned them ill have to post it.

Jrfish007 12-08-2005 03:46 PM

Well, like I said in a different thread, your tank is 13.2 gallons. But the tube that goes up to the filling whole is extra and in that tube a canister for emmisions that is filled fith activated carbon. On a bad pump (bad as in the auto turn off doesn't work) you may end up filling all this up. I'm not saying they did not jip you, I'm just saying it is possible to fit 13.7 gallons into a civic.

03-Acura-1.7-EL 12-08-2005 04:24 PM

I find the gas tank in my Acura EL too small 42L, so whenever I fill up I always top it up to the point where gas may be seen from the outsite, basicaly to the TOP.
And I find I constantly can fill in extra 7-8 liters (2 gallons) extra after pums shats off.
So, yes, it may seems like someone pulling your leg, but its unlikely.

reqy 12-08-2005 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox
you have to use the same pump at the same station every time to calculate mpg and hope the pump is good.

Lol from now on i am going to fill my tank up only at #1 from now on. I gassed it up at that pump twice with awesome mileage. Then i used #4 and i am not getting as good a mileage. It's a good thing i gassed up sunday before the price went a few dimes up.

Blackpearl 12-14-2005 12:38 AM

I can report back. The pump seems to top of the tank becouse I have 140 mi on it and the guage did't move form the F position. Well I need to make an average of the last two taks. Well the technology at the gas stations are not so advanced as you think off.

gearbox 12-14-2005 12:51 AM

this is another reason i never fill up the tank other than not wanting extra weight. if the nozzle is not adjusted right and too much fuel gets in, it could mess up the vapor recovery system. eventually it could cause you to fail emissions.

Blackpearl 12-14-2005 01:57 PM

:mad: Yep is true. :shrug:

A03 12-14-2005 11:25 PM

I had a BP pump supposedly dispense over 14 gallons into my 03 civic. I believe it was 14.3 or 14.4. I complained to the store owner that I didn't think it was possible to put that much in my tank, based on the 13.2 gal capacity and because I drove the car into the station (obviously) with SOME fuel in the tank. I showed him my owners manual, on the page with liquid capacities, listing the fuel figures.

He told me that he could do nothing, and that I should call BP direct. I did call them. After being hung up on once, I filed a complaint on the second call. They said that they would check the pump, but offered no kind of refund or compensation. I figured I'd get a few dollar check, gas card or somthing out of it atleast. How honest could they be, I figured... I'd been billed for more than a gallon higher than what the car should be able to carry when it's bone dry, and I rolled in with some fuel left in the tank. It seemed pretty simple to me, rip-off pump, or a hole in my tank.

AFTER I called BP (My mistake) I called the IL dept. of weights and measures, (actually I think it's part of the dept. of agriculture) and filed a complaint with them too. They checked the pump the next day, and informed me by letter that the pump was dispensing an accurate amount of gasoline at the time that they tested.

My guess is that BP got out there and fixed it before the dept. of agriculture got there. I wish I would have thought first, and not tipped off BP and just called direct to the state office. The station should have gotten in some trouble for it IMO (ripping off me and another other customers using that pump) but got away free. Needless to say, I never go to THAT BP anymore (I do still buy BP gas, just not at that station).

I know that some people will try to tell me that 14+ gallons can fit into the tank in some special situations, if this n' that gets filled/saturated ect. I call all that talk BS. I've had the car for over 50k miles, and I am the only one to put gas in it. Never but that one time has it broken 14gallons. I don't recall the last time I saw a 13. Usually I think it's 11 and change.

LiKEaFeRiO 12-14-2005 11:47 PM

I've read that the temperature will affect how much you put into your car.
Filling up when its cold outside is supposed to be better than in hot weather.

Logical thinking says it makes sense since heat makes thing expand but don't quote me on anything,