Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Fp60 ?????? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/226984-fp60.html)

JohnH 09-07-2005 12:32 PM

Fp60 ??????

I was reading the "Post Your Gas Millage" thread and noticed a few members were getting pretty good results using FP60. Yesterday, I read on another forum a thread about adding acetone to gasoline. Several of the people on that thread were getting better milage by adding acetone to gas. Anyway, I was wondering if FP60 has any acetone in it. Any comments would be appreciated. You can read the afore mentioned thread here:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=424194

Jrfish007 09-07-2005 01:56 PM

the problem with adding acetone is getting acetone! I didn't read that thread, but I'm betting they where using nail polish remover, which is at best 10% acetone, the rest is just water, water is bad. Thing is the government doesn't consider water to be an addative, so if the stuff you buy is 10% acetone and 90% water, they can actually advertise it as 100% acetone, stupid, but they can do it. Anyway, acetone can eat away plastic over time, overall, I think it's a bad idea, not to mention who knows what it will do to your O2 sensor over time.

As for the FP60, I'm not sure what it contains, probably a trade secret or something.

JohnH 09-07-2005 02:08 PM

Here is part of thread. By the way, no one seems to have any problem obtaining acetone.

SNIPPIT from the linked report.

How it Works
Acetone
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas

Im hearing different things, but may actually give this a try.

JohnH 09-07-2005 02:10 PM

Also from the same thread.

IT WORKS
well it works I waited & have been trying different gas & amounts , 2-3 oz per tank , I am getting an average of an extra 4-5 mpg city & 5-7 mpg highway .... almost every person I told who tried it was amazed ..... read the link posted by Mr Lapoint this is only part
Subject: Acetone in Fuels (A Study of Dimethylketone or Propanone)
Author: Louis LaPointe
Date: February 11, 2005

(c) Copyright 1990-2005 Louis LaPointe All rights reserved

"Time is another word for change. It has a billion faces, yet all occur simultaneously."

Significantly Improved Mileage:
This article about acetone (CH3COCH3) probably draws conclusions that Big Oil and the American Car Manufacturers and others do NOT want you to know. They suffer from unlimited corporate GREED. They want bad mileage. The worse, the better as far as they are concerned. Acetone is a vaporization additive rather than a fuel additive per se. It is successful in very tiny amounts from about one part per 4000 to one part per 500. Mileage seems to taper off while HC emissions actually are greatly reduced with too much acetone. Acetone not only improves mileage but cuts pollution and gives longer life to engines. The peak gain in mileage comes between .03 of one-percent and .20 of one-percent acetone, depending on the actual vehicle which may be running gasoline or diesel. Note .781 cc per liter or .78 parts per 1000 or one part per 1280 is the same as one ounce per 10 gallons. Acetone operates on the unburned portion of the fuel through better vaporization to improve combustion efficiency. Acetone further operates like an electron absorber. It is the ideal additive for gasoline and diesel fuel. There are no bad effects whatsoever and every good reason to use acetone in your fuel. We have driven hundreds of thousands of miles across this country, Canada and Mexico during the past 50 years with only good results from acetone. During all that time, something abnormal would have shown up. The fuel characteristics during combustion remain exactly the same as those of the original fuel. It just burns more completely with insignificant amounts of acetone in the fuel. This phenomenon happens to reduce pollution as well

Jrfish007 09-07-2005 02:19 PM

yeah, I know all about it. I can even calculate the surface tension in the normal gas versus the gas + acetone, lol. I've taken part in the acetone conversation many times, and my education lets me take a very close look at what is going on.

I work with acetone daily, and I can tell you that any thing you buy in the store is not pure. Not only have I never smelled or seen it pure, but it's also illegal to sell to the public in pure form because of it's high volitality and low flash point and also because it can be a severe skin erantant. Not to mention acetone is EXTREMELY water loving, it will literally pull the moisture right out of the air. I'm sure most people do not realize this, or have not bothered to mention it.

As for using it as a MPG enhacing, I'm not sure about that. It has real potential by breaking the surface tension and adsorbing any water present in the fuel, but I know it can eat plastic very fast (this what I use it for half the time). So I am just setting back and watching to see if others starting having problems.

As for the gunking up the engine, I don't see that as a problem, acetone will burn completely without any problems and shouldn't leave any residue.

That's my .02 on acetone lol

nick95673 09-07-2005 02:32 PM

if it was really safe dont you think they would sale it for 25 bucks a quart on info-mercials

Jrfish007 09-07-2005 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by nick95673
if it was really safe dont you think they would sale it for 25 bucks a quart on info-mercials

d00d that's my new company, don't be giving away my secrets!!! :lol:

JohnH 09-07-2005 06:50 PM

According to the following link, 100% pure acetone can be bought at Walgreens and other outlets. Anyway, more interesting info. at this link: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

JohnH 09-07-2005 07:25 PM

Another link with forum members getting positive results. According to the thread 100% acetone can be bought at Wally World.

http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/...&topic=53422.0

dre2600 09-07-2005 08:17 PM

What was previously said was right, acetone is hydrophilic enough even to grab water out of the air. I suppose storing it in a gas tank under an atmosphere of vaporous gasoline would alleviate that, but what it would not do would alleviate the fact that it eats plastics.

Back in 3rd year organic chemistry I was using acetone to wipe down my bench and dropped my mechanical pencil into it, before I even had a chance to dry it off and before the acetone evaporated (which is pretty damn fast, excepting maybe how fast things like dicholormethane tend to evaporate) it had eaten the side of my pencil to the point where it kind of resembled that guy's face from XXX, the one w. all the burn scarring.

I wouldn't just go put acetone into a gas tank, you could be slowly eating away at certain plastics or seals and potentially damaging your engine should it be too watered.

JohnH 09-07-2005 10:27 PM

According to the threads I posted, the degradative effects of acetone on plastic and rubber seems to be a main concern. However, effective doses run from 1 to 3 ounces per ten gallons of gas which seems to negate the negative effects of acetone on rubber and plastic parts. Remember, 007 claimed nail polish was 10% acetone, a much higher concentration than that being used by motorists; AND THAT'S BEING APPLIED TO FINGER NAILS!

One of the authors used much higher concentrations for many years and miles without any problems. I'm sure results are dependent on the number of rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system and the amount used. This may have been a bigger issue in the past with carburated cars using styrofoam or plastic floats. I would also imagine modern fuel systems are much more resistent given the number of additives in modern gasoline.

From what I can tell, acentone seems to be an effective octane booster and oxygenator. Most of the beta testers are experiencing better gas milage, better idling, better throttle response, and much less detonating (pinging and run-on). Some opined that the effectiveness of acetone was due to its ability to clean combustion chambers and fuel systems. However, many experienced worse gas milage and drivability when they quit using it.

Acetone also seems to me a common ingredient in many fuel injection cleaners, and according to one source, was used by Mercedes-Benz race cars back in the forties. Anyway, I'm not advocating the use of it, just trying to get some information. Anybody know if FP60 uses acetone?

gearbox 09-07-2005 10:53 PM

DO NOT PUT ACETONE IN YOUR GAS EVER. It is a complete myth and will cause more harm than good. The fp60 on the other hand has been tested and proven to work. I got my record 42 mpg after using it. Before I could only get 38 all highway miles. And it makes the gas better by increasing potential energy. This means the car feels faster too.

JohnH 09-07-2005 11:34 PM

Gearbox, did you read any of the links I posted? Have you added acetone to your gas? Just curious. People with actual experience seem to be getting real results. And what exactly does FP60 have in it? I'm thinking there may be acetone it. Just trying to get the facts. Thanks.

gearbox 09-07-2005 11:49 PM

I don't need to read links, nor would I ever put acetone in my gas. fp60 has already been proven to work with lab testing and is endorsed by big names. I wouldn't even use the store brand fuel cleaners if I were you. They don't work.

S2000man01 09-08-2005 07:51 AM

chemical engineers have discussed this in length. the "acetone" in the gas is an urban legend, and in fact, can cause damage to your car.

also, they can "claim" that you can buy 100% pure acetone at walgreens, but the fact of the matter is you can't. as stated, it's illegal to sell to Joe consumer. what's next? I suppose I can buy weapons grade plutonium at walgreen's too. ;)

and now i'm going to do the same thing here that we do over on s2ki with threads like this. this is not open for discussion. putting acetone in your car can damage your car, and it provides no benefit. therefore, to prevent some foolish tool from actually doing this, i'm locking the thread, since it concerns someone damaging their vehicle.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...post&p=5403216

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...post&p=5410277

in other words, any professional who is educated, particularly in chemicals, knows this is bunk and no hard scientific data has ever proven anything except as such.