Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance)
-   -   Jack Stand or Ramps? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/226829-jack-stand-ramps.html)

dru106 09-07-2005 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by nick95673
thats like saying you wouldnt trust the gas pedal right there. i mean if your in traffic you could get a cramp and kick it and fly into the rear end of someone. its a one in a million chance and i actually first heard of the valve when i went to a big off-road jamboree and everyone had them on their off road vehicles. if theres one place it would happen its at a rock crawl

No, seriously that device is not a good idea!!! What happens if you run over a shredded tire on the frwy or something and that happens more than u think. And i see a lot of bent oil pans really close to the drain plug. That oil drain valve is the dumbest thing ive ever seen!!!

burke420 09-07-2005 11:55 PM

it all depends if u want something to get the car up, and then lift with a jack or just to drive up on a ramp and work under. if u want a ramp for slammed cars, Takata makes something for that case, and then otherwise, pep boys or autozone, advance, etc...makes some heavy duty ramps...

pon55 09-08-2005 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shroomster
man I wouldn't trust that thing just on the off chance you know that random 'rock' or wondering bird out in the parking lot or on the freeway happens to hit that clip out goes your oil and then you have a 600 lb block of plastic and steel in your engine bay

I'm with you on that one!

masarak 09-08-2005 11:05 AM

Whatever you do, make sure your e-brake works well and you use wheel chocks.

shroomster 09-08-2005 04:05 PM

thats like saying you wouldnt trust the gas pedal right there. i mean if your in traffic you could get a cramp and kick it and fly into the rear end of someone. its a one in a million chance and i actually first heard of the valve when i went to a big off-road jamboree and everyone had them on their off road vehicles. if theres one place it would happen its at a rock crawl

well another reason is this makes ya too damn lazy I don't think about safety by putting a valve on my oil pan...most shops if you take that too them around here will laugh you out the door...my shop dont touch that crap cuz the person who put it on usually fycked it up...specially those fram valves its the same concept just a turn of the nozzle not a release lever...whatever the case I'd just leave the stock plug and washer where they are...BTW IF you change your own oil I dunno if there is a bulletin or anything about this but it is reccommended to change your oil plug washer every oil change....just a heads up for some...

nick95673 09-08-2005 04:45 PM

yeah it says to change the washer in the owners manual and on this site in like 300 places.how can you f up installing a valve its the same thing as putting the drain plug back in.

Cptn. Slow 09-08-2005 05:00 PM

does anyone know what size the washer and drain bolt are and the easiest place to find them?

shroomster 09-08-2005 05:31 PM

yeah it says to change the washer in the owners manual and on this site in like 300 places.how can you f up installing a valve its the same thing as putting the drain plug back in.

there in lies the murphy law adendum:
obviously when there is a right way, there will be a wrong way too...

just save the time and money and use the stock plug

shroomster 09-08-2005 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by efil on evol on
does anyone know what size the washer and drain bolt are and the easiest place to find them?

14x1.5 with a 17 mm head... as for the gasket it is a soft aluminum 14 mm

HONDa dealership or auto parts store...dealer is easier cuz they have honda parts not universal like parts store

Caucasian.Asian 09-08-2005 05:40 PM

mmmm...takata goodness http://www.inlinefour.com/taklowdowslo.html

shroomster 09-08-2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Caucasian.Asian

hehe nice i like those....

zachgeyer 09-08-2005 10:21 PM

ramps

ragingSPAM 09-08-2005 10:31 PM

get ramps for the house and stands for the road...my friend keeps stands in his car and has ramps at his house...

Jrfish007 09-09-2005 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Caucasian.Asian

Those are nice.... way to costly for me though, I bought mine for $10 on sale at autozone.

ragencajun 09-09-2005 08:59 AM

I got crome 2 ton goodyear jack stands at sams club along with a aluminium racing jack all for under 200 i use the shit out of them :2pimp:

ragencajun 09-09-2005 09:00 AM

sorry i meant chrome

bOoStEd042dr 09-09-2005 09:45 AM

try and get both